2 replies to this topic

#1 Creepy Cassie

Creepy Cassie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:11 PM

I was diagnosed with Celiac disease about a month or two ago.

I am 22 years old, doctor told me back when I was 16 years old I had irritable bowel syndrome. Well come to figure, that  doctor never diagnosed me with IBS. But I had a upper GI and colonoscopy and turns out I have Celiac, and I keep acting like I have IBS too, because it just seems right.

I am not sure what to eat, I have yet to see a dietician and sometimes I only get to eat once or twice a day due to the pain. Its a gassy pain, stabbing, very hurtful pain that almost is like I'm in labor again.

I recently started taking Bentryl for the pain and Gas X, they seem to semi work.

I cut out all dairy now, it seems to make me sick.

I also cut out baked beans now, and tomatoes. I just need help.

I am very weak, so its hard for me to make food, and most gluten-free foods are expensive.

I also can't eat rice.

Help? I crave sugar and just real food.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:50 AM

here are some threads that might help you.

http://www.celiac.co...ewbie-info-101/

http://www.celiac.co...r-tonight-chat/

http://www.celiac.co...em/#entry878588

http://www.celiac.co...oday/?hl=+lunch

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,599 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:55 AM

I'm sorry you've been feeling unwell.  :(

Prediagnosis, I used to take a LOT of Gas X for my bloating pains too... but I think there was gluten in my capsules (not sure on that) so I tossed them after my diagnosis.

Lots of your symptoms could still very well be due to your celiac disease. I used to get almost random pain, and it often built up towards the end of the day. Now, after a year gluten-free, I still get gassy and bloated every few days. Some of your discomfort could still be caused by celiac disease, but I don't doubt that you have other food intolerances.

You have a problem with tomatoes (perhaps your problem with baked beans is the tomato sauce?), rice and gluten. That still leaves you with a fair amount of food options although you'll have to do more food prep, and be a bit more creative, than the average person. Perhaps make wraps with lettuce leaves or corn tortillas. Coconut or almond flour is wonderful for making baked goods with and tends to have more nutrition than the average  gluten-free baked goods. carry nuts or LaraBars around with you so you always have snacks when you are on the go. If you focus on eating veggies, meats and eggs,  and some fruits (minus tomatoes) it will make life easier for you.

Also, have you considered milk being a problem for you? Up to 50% of celiacs are lactose intolerant in the first half year gluten-free, I know that I was. Often that goes away as you heal - many board members have reintroduced dairy into their diet after a few months. I personally used to get pain and bloating from dairy, and it is much less now, but I haven't bothered bringing it back into my diet because I see no need and I feel great without it.

Hang in there. The first few weeks are the hardest, especially if you experience withdrawal which can throw extra fatigue, headaches, and a bad mood into the mix for a few weeks.

Best wishes.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: