This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Regular Vs All Natural Peanut Butter

Renegade

Renegade Contributor

I started trying the All Natural Peanut Butter to ensure it was gluten-free but it always gives me gaz and it seems as if the more often I eat it the worse it gets, yet it only happens when I eat All-Natural Butter ,doesn't matter if it's peanut or almond butter or any other nuts. I tried other brands in the past before and I felt the same. I never had any digestion issue when I ate the regular one and I never get digestions issues from eating plain nuts either. My concern was does anyone know why this could be? Also are there any non all natural that would be gluten free? I read peanut butter is naturally gluten free but it can sometime be cross contaminated, I really love peanut butter and never had a digestion issue until I try the All natural bands.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

I haven't seen any peanut butter with gluten in it.

The all natural one i eat has palm oil in it (skippy all natural).

Adalaide Mentor

I've also never seen peanut butter with gluten, but it is up to each of us to check each product to our satisfaction. There are many brands of peanut butter, regular and natural. Much to my husband's disappointment, I discovered Justin's nut butters last year. (He's just pissy about the cost. :lol:) They are all natural, certified gluten free and have a texture unlike anything else I've ever had due to a different process the company uses to grind the nuts. Since my first taste in a peanut butter cup, I have sworn off all other nut butters. Many stores sell these in single serve packets that you could try to see if they cause the same issue. I would suggest maybe trying a few brands and seeing if there is one that works for you. No suggestions really on why it is happening.

mamaw Community Regular

Barney butter  is   yummy.....

Renegade Contributor

One thing that strike my mind is the All Natural Peanut butter, it is very thick like rock and can be even hard to eat as it feel like a giant paste with lots of oil in it and unlike regular butter, it is very soft and also much easier to swallow. With all natural one I need a lot of water to swallow it properly unlike regular which cause no difficult on any level.

ChefV Newbie

One thing that strike my mind is the All Natural Peanut butter, it is very thick like rock and can be even hard to eat as it feel like a giant paste with lots of oil in it and unlike regular butter, it is very soft and also much easier to swallow. With all natural one I need a lot of water to swallow it properly unlike regular which cause no difficult on any level.

Listen to your body, when our body react to things, bloating, pain, intestinal issues, etc. that's our body's way of saying something is not agreeing with me.. it could be the oil used, it could an additive in it, all "natural"  "flavor preserver", it could be cross contamination issues.. as you clean your system from gluten little amounts will effect you, and you may start noticing other foods that you may be reacting to, in this case PB. which it doesn't mean you will never be able to eat PB again- if in fact that's the case, you just have to heal and repair your guts first then try again. Listen to your body! feel better.

love2travel Mentor

If you have a good blender or Vita Mix it is very easy to make your own.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

notme Experienced

i usually go for the brand with the least ingredients :)  smuckers natural works for me.  it's like:  peanuts.  salt.  the end.  it is a little bit granier, and i keep it in the fridge.  lolz - when it is cold it *is* like a rock  :P

i had trouble digesting *everything* in the beginning (AND I FREAKED!  thinking there was gluten hidden everywhere)  and i kept a food journal - you might have to skip some things if you have just recently started gluten free.  you can try to add them back in later.  i have a secondary sensitivity to soy, so i have to watch out for soybean oil, etc.  

(justin's IS delicious and a bit smoother than the smuckers - they sell it in packets so you can try it without being stuck with a big jar of something you can't eat -  oh my bob, the chocolate hazelnut is fabulous - and no soy - yessss!)(fyi - you can just squeeze it from the packet right into mouth......  not like i ever *did* that or anything......... ^_^ )

Adalaide Mentor

(justin's IS delicious and a bit smoother than the smuckers - they sell it in packets so you can try it without being stuck with a big jar of something you can't eat -  oh my bob, the chocolate hazelnut is fabulous - and no soy - yessss!)(fyi - you can just squeeze it from the packet right into mouth......  not like i ever *did* that or anything......... ^_^ )

The chocolate any-nut is fabulous! It will make you forget Nutella ever existed. (Not that I ever cared for that crap anyway. Kind of ick if you ask me.) While nuts and I are not the bestest of friends, the packets are standbys for day long outings.

Archived