This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac--I Think

no7ang

no7ang Rookie

hi, i had been feeling tired and run down for many months last year but began losing weight in December, saw GP in Feb who sent me for blood tests--results were all ok except B12 was slightly low. upper stomach pains started in May so went back to GP who referred me to hospital-- so far i have had endoscopy--this showed a hiatus hernia and gastritis --i was informed that 4 biospies were taken due to weight loss, but i had no explanation as to what they were looking for. i also had an ultrasound and a CT scan. on returning for results i was told biospies were abnormal and that CT showed small bowel was abnormal as loops all matted together so was sent for an  MRI which would show cause of matted loops--had MRI yesterday. CT also showed thickening to colon so have colonoscopy next week. when i pushed my doctor on what he meant by abnormal biopsy results he mentioned celiac but added that he was confused as my blood tests were normal this was all 6 weeks ago. i have looked everything up that i can find re abnormal biopsy results whilst having endoscopy and everything comes back to celiac. am confused as to why i haven't been advised to  change my diet---and am also worried about additional findings of abnormality in small bowel---is this a common finding for people with celiac disease or could it mean that i have already developed complications---am worried sick so

any advise would be much appreciated

PS i have no diarrhoea, which seems to come up as a common symptom (?) but do have constipation 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Greetings No7and,

Please tell us what tests the doctor did for celiac.  If you have results you could post them.  Sometimes they can do more tests to find out more.  The endoscopy is usually the definitive test if the blood antibodies are negative, or to confirm a positive result.

He wouldn't have you stop eating gluten until all testing is done.  Then again if they already tested for antibodies and did an endoscopy; I think they would be done testing for celiac.  I would ask the doctor as soon as possible about that.  I wouldn't wait quietly to see and I am a quiet person!

"Abnormality in small bowel---is this a common finding for people with celiac disease?

."  Celiac disease is having reactions to gluten which break down the villi in the small intestine?"

.  The small intestine is damaged in celiac, but parasites can also cause damage.  Aside from that, I don't know if anything else causes damage there.  I know these facts from my own experience and those of my children.

I hope you will get some definitive answers soon and can recover.  Villi damage is reversible, but you do have to take care of yourself.  I would go gluten free as soon as you know for sure that you are finished testing for celiac.  I believe the colonoscopy is for other problems, but I have not had personal experience with that.

The final test for celiac or gluten intolerance is to try the diet.  You can maybe start studying up on that.  I hope you will feel better soon.

Get Well  ***

D

no7ang Rookie

Greetings No7and,

Please tell us what tests the doctor did for celiac.  If you have results you could post them.  Sometimes they can do more tests to find out more.  The endoscopy is usually the definitive test if the blood antibodies are negative, or to confirm a positive result.

He wouldn't have you stop eating gluten until all testing is done.  Then again if they already tested for antibodies and did an endoscopy; I think they would be done testing for celiac.  I would ask the doctor as soon as possible about that.  I wouldn't wait quietly to see and I am a quiet person!

"Abnormality in small bowel---is this a common finding for people with celiac disease?

."  Celiac disease is having reactions to gluten which break down the villi in the small intestine?"

.  The small intestine is damaged in celiac, but parasites can also cause damage.  Aside from that, I don't know if anything else causes damage there.  I know these facts from my own experience and those of my children.

I hope you will get some definitive answers soon and can recover.  Villi damage is reversible, but you do have to take care of yourself.  I would go gluten free as soon as you know for sure that you are finished testing for celiac.  I believe the colonoscopy is for other problems, but I have not had personal experience with that.

The final test for celiac or gluten intolerance is to try the diet.  You can maybe start studying up on that.  I hope you will feel better soon.

Get Well  ***

D

Greetings No7and,

Get Well  ***

D

thanks for replying---i am so glad i have found this forum as so much information re gluten free diet out there its all very confusing. I am only assuming that the abnormal biopsy result has discovered celiac---all these other scans and tests are to do with what else has been found so not sure if doctor has 'overlooked' actually discussing celiac specifically given the other findings. i didn't really ask what was meant by abnormal biospy as my mind went into overdrive when he said about matted area in small bowel needing further investigation--  however looking at the effects of celiac a lot of my symptoms are adding up, especially the extreme tiredness and the weight loss---i just want to feel 'normal' again. i practically live off of pasta, bread etc so am going to have a good clear out of cupboards today and start gluten free tomorrow--will have results of all tests in 2 weeks and a clearer idea of what has been found/shown but as a lot of what i've read up on do point to celiac i don't see the sense in delaying. Thank you so much--i am definitely going to be on here a lot!!

Archived