Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Gluten Challenge Before Endoscopy

2 posts in this topic

I am a 30 year old woman who comes from a family with 5 diagnosed Celiac sufferers (all women on my mother's side, including my mom). About 7 years ago, I started to feel sick all the time; stomachaches, headaches, tired all the time, bloating, gas, anxiety/depression. The body aches and tiredness made me feel like I had the flu without the congestion part. At that time, my mom suggested I go gluten free and see if I felt beter. I tried it out, and was super diligent about eating gluten free, and actually started f=to feel better after a month or two. I was 23 years old at that time, and without health insurance, so I never went to the doctor for a proper diagnosis. But I DO know that I felt better after not eating gluten, and would feel terrible if I accidentally ate gluten over the years. 

About a month ago, I was having really bad stomach bloating and indigestion and heartburn, and was referred to a GI doc by my primary. The GI told me that she would have to properly test me for Celiac through blood test and upper endoscopy, and that I would have to eat a "gluten heavy diet" for the week prior to the procedure. Of course, for someone who has avoided gluten for 7 years, this news was terrifying! I also feel like if I was already eating a strictly gluten free diet, why would she need to rule that out at all? My current symptoms wouldn't have anything to do with Celiac... Right? Regardless, I did the gluten challenge for a week. And while there was fear at first, there was also a tiny bit of excitement at eating a few things that I missed. I noticed during the gluten challenge that I didn't have as much stomach pain as was anticipating (it still wasn't great), but I DID have terrible headaches, extreme fatigue (like sleeping 10-12 hours a night), felt really spaced out and found it hard to concentrate, and had the bloating/gas/etc. I stopped eating the gluten the night before my endoscopy, and have been back to a gluten free diet since then, which was a week ago. 

Here's where my question comes in; has anyone else been through this same scenario? Having to eat gluten for a testing procedure after being gluten free for SO long? A week later, and I am still having symptoms, especially the tiredness. How long should I anticipate this lasting? Considering I hadn't eaten gluten for 7 years, I seriously dumped a WHOLE LOT of gluten into my system for this test! Still waiting for the results. 

Any advice/reassurance would be much appreciated! Thanks! :)

Ads by Google:

It is recommended that a gluten challenge be about three months in duration, not just one week! I was told to ingest the equivalent to 3- 4 pieces of bread daily for 12 weeks. It is odd that you were told that small timeframe. I do hope the results will be accurate. Many people who have been gluten free for ages do the challenge so thankfully you are not alone. As our reactions and bodies differ wildly, it is difficult to say how long your symptoms will last. Hopefully you feel better quickly. Be kind to yourself. I do know of people whose symptoms last for several weeks so am not surprised at your story.

Welcome here! Please post your results if you wish. I am curious about the one week thing.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Depression / anxiety issues
      Hi all.  Still feeling the same way this past week. I'm thinking of dropping dairy starting from today, I don't know if I have a problem with it or not, but I drink 2 coffees a day with milk. I'm just constantly tired all the time, and getting trough the day is pretty hard, I noticed a couple of weeks ago that my sleep was improving but the last couple of days I have been waking up at least 3 times during the night, then when I get up in the morning it feels like I have been hit by a bus, like I haven't slept at all. I keep waking up during the night needing to drink water as I feel dehydrated, I don't know why as I drink 2-3 litres of water everyday 
    • No actual diagnosis/genetic results.
      About 30% of people have a gene for Celiac.  They don't all have it because only about 1% of the population has Celiac.   It is quite possible she has something else that is causing her trouble.  Sometimes eliminating gluten helps that problem, like FODMAPS.   If it were me, I would keep her strictly gluten-free for a year or so.  See if anything develops.  Then I would try her back on small doses of gluten.  If it is something like FODMAPS, she may be able to tolerate some gluten after a while.  I would do that for 3 months .  If she is having issues I would then get her tested with a full Celiac panel and, if positive, an endoscopy.  Even if the panel is negative, if she is having issues, I would pursue more testing, ends, colonoscopy, etc. For schools to take a gluten-free or any special diet seriously, you will need a doctors note.  I am assuming US might be different in other countries.
    • No actual diagnosis/genetic results.
      Hi- new here but have been reading a lot of posts (Long post, last two paragraphs have actual question)  my four year old daughter probably has celiac but I don't know if I'll ever get a definitive diagnosis at this point.    Backstory: growth Delays, GI issues and a few other symptoms as a baby/young toddler. Did not have blood work done but went straight to biopsy which was negative. Always still had suspicions that gluten bothered her.    Started developing more symptoms around 3, by 3.5 they were pretty bad and her dr recommend eliminating gluten. (Blood in stool, rashes, low grade fever, joint pain, stomach pain and bloating, behavior issues) Everything cleared up quickly! Yay. Still had occasional gluten because I was under the impression it was "just an intolerance" and her symptoms kept up/got worse with each exposure. (Developed vomitting as most recent symptom) So I wanted to know if it was celiac. Can't do blood or biopsy since she's been mostly off gluten for months by this time.  I really was hoping to have a concrete answer and diagnosis, So we did genetic testing recently. It came back positive for half of DQ2 (beta subunit). Her dr isn't giving her official diagnosis but says "she is at a fairly low risk" but with her symptoms doesn't that mean she has developed it??!   Either way he says to keep her off gluten but I don't understand why he won't diagnose? Right now I am just telling people (besides family) that she has it because it's too hard to explain it all but do you think an actual diagnosis would be beneficial in any way? Should I push the issue with her dr? 
    • Awaiting Biopsy Results
      Thanks for the advice and encouragement, Gemini. I appreciate having additional insight into my situation. Celiac being the cause of my health issues makes more and more sense the more I learn about it, and eliminating gluten sounds more and more like the right choice for me.
    • Did Jennifer Esposito Leave Town Amid $43 Million Gluten-Free Bakery Lawsuit?
      The topic of this forum is "Celiac Disease - Publications & Publicity," so certainly it fits in here, and in fact, this topic is designed specifically to handle any media coverage that relates to celiac disease and/or the gluten-free diet.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Jmg  »  admin

Hello Admin!
      I don't know whether this is of interest to post on your articles feed:
      http://pratt.duke.edu/about/news/window-guts-brain
      Kind Regards,
      Matt
      · 2 replies
    • celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Ladybug99