Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Gluten Challenge Before Endoscopy

2 posts in this topic

I am a 30 year old woman who comes from a family with 5 diagnosed Celiac sufferers (all women on my mother's side, including my mom). About 7 years ago, I started to feel sick all the time; stomachaches, headaches, tired all the time, bloating, gas, anxiety/depression. The body aches and tiredness made me feel like I had the flu without the congestion part. At that time, my mom suggested I go gluten free and see if I felt beter. I tried it out, and was super diligent about eating gluten free, and actually started f=to feel better after a month or two. I was 23 years old at that time, and without health insurance, so I never went to the doctor for a proper diagnosis. But I DO know that I felt better after not eating gluten, and would feel terrible if I accidentally ate gluten over the years. 

About a month ago, I was having really bad stomach bloating and indigestion and heartburn, and was referred to a GI doc by my primary. The GI told me that she would have to properly test me for Celiac through blood test and upper endoscopy, and that I would have to eat a "gluten heavy diet" for the week prior to the procedure. Of course, for someone who has avoided gluten for 7 years, this news was terrifying! I also feel like if I was already eating a strictly gluten free diet, why would she need to rule that out at all? My current symptoms wouldn't have anything to do with Celiac... Right? Regardless, I did the gluten challenge for a week. And while there was fear at first, there was also a tiny bit of excitement at eating a few things that I missed. I noticed during the gluten challenge that I didn't have as much stomach pain as was anticipating (it still wasn't great), but I DID have terrible headaches, extreme fatigue (like sleeping 10-12 hours a night), felt really spaced out and found it hard to concentrate, and had the bloating/gas/etc. I stopped eating the gluten the night before my endoscopy, and have been back to a gluten free diet since then, which was a week ago. 

Here's where my question comes in; has anyone else been through this same scenario? Having to eat gluten for a testing procedure after being gluten free for SO long? A week later, and I am still having symptoms, especially the tiredness. How long should I anticipate this lasting? Considering I hadn't eaten gluten for 7 years, I seriously dumped a WHOLE LOT of gluten into my system for this test! Still waiting for the results. 

Any advice/reassurance would be much appreciated! Thanks! :)

Ads by Google:

It is recommended that a gluten challenge be about three months in duration, not just one week! I was told to ingest the equivalent to 3- 4 pieces of bread daily for 12 weeks. It is odd that you were told that small timeframe. I do hope the results will be accurate. Many people who have been gluten free for ages do the challenge so thankfully you are not alone. As our reactions and bodies differ wildly, it is difficult to say how long your symptoms will last. Hopefully you feel better quickly. Be kind to yourself. I do know of people whose symptoms last for several weeks so am not surprised at your story.

Welcome here! Please post your results if you wish. I am curious about the one week thing.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Oh, Trish at the GlutenFreeWatchDog tested Planter's honey roasted peanuts three years ago.  The can did not state gluten-free, but showed no gluten ingrediants (per Kraft policy).  Test result: less than 5 part per million which is pretty much gluten-free.  
    • What if it were something else that glutened you?  Maybe you ate too much of a good thing?  I once (three months post dx) ate too much gluten-free fried chicken, vomited, passed out and fractured my back (osteoporosis) in the process.  Paramedics, ER doc and Cardio all thought I was having a heart attack.   No.  It was sheer gluttony and bad bones.  Not good to overload with a damaged gut.    Maybe you did get some contaminated nuts.  Afterall, anything processed is suspect.  What might be well tolerated by some, might be too much for others.  We all have our various levels of gluten intolerance.   The old 20 parts per million is just a guideline, but science does not really know (lack of funding......doe anyone really care enough to find out?)  My hubby has been gluten-free for 15 years.  When I was first diagnosed, I tried to eat the gluten-free foods that I normally gave him.   Problem was he was healed and I was not.  Things like Xanthan Gum in commercial processed gluten-free breads make me feel like I have been glutened, but it is just (and still is) an intolerance.  So no bread for me unless I make it myself using a different gum.   Too lazy, so I do without.   so, ask your doctor if you really want to know or lay off the cashews and test them again in a month using a certified gluten-free nut.  I wish this was easier!    
    • I have intolerances to a few foods now, so I was wondering about that.. I love cashews though, and a month or two ago I was eating them all the time with no problems at all. I mean, could I really have developed an intolerance to them since then? I don't know if they're made on shared lines (it didn't say on the package so I assumed they weren't), but I'll give them a call. I'm really, really sensitive to cross contamination. Even if something is just made in the same facility (but not on shared lines) it will make me sick. If that's not it, then I'm not really sure
    • Research with KP and find a celiac-savvy GI in your area ( read the biographies). and ask your PCP/GP for a referral to that specific GI (not his buddy).  Ask the GI for the rest  of the celiac panel or proceed with an endoscopy/biopsies -- 4 to six.  Keep eating gluten daily until all testing is complete.  Document and request in writing.  Do not worry about symptoms.  There are over 300 of them and some celiacs have none!   Research all that you can about celiac disease.  The University of Chicago has a great celiac website that has testing Information etc.   Poet me know how it works out.  Hope you feel better soon!  
    • I react to both wheat and barley.  I've opted to just go completely gluten free, for the sake of simplicity and my sanity.  I don't have a diagnosis of celiac disease, but I strongly suspect it.  Unfortunately, I'm not willing to endure the misery of staying on gluten long enough to pursue further testing.  I just know I need to avoid the gluten grains, so I do.  
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Alinapep