21 replies to this topic

#1 Aelfwine

Aelfwine

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:30 PM

My husband has recently been diagnosed with a gluten intolerance, subsequently I am now making our own breads etc. The issue im having is that, despite following all the recipes exactly, the bread all have a cake like quality, and not like bread at all. Does anyone have any tips? I know that the bread will never be the same as store bought wheat bread, but any tips are most welcome. 

When life throws you a lemon, make lemonade!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:55 AM

I'm still new to celiac disease and I've made lots of cookies, cakes and muffins that don't require yeast over the past 12 years (hubby is gluten-free longer). Plan on trying it someday, but the frozen bread is good enough for my hubby and I don't even crave sandwiches (prefer lettuce wraps). I'm hoping some of the bakers will come forward to help you.
Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:20 AM

You're right that the texture is different, and you will probably never find any gluten-free bread with the texture of typical commercial gluten bread.  Gluten-free baking takes a lot of experimentation to find what you like, and eventually you will get used to this type of bread or decide that you can live without it.  For myself, I find that I just don't like the bread enough to bother with it on a regular basis, although I often bake it just to make crumbs and have the rare sandwich.  Try different recipes.  There are books such as "The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread" with a lot of recipes, and of course online.  One of the best I have found is Ginger Lemon Girl's Favorite Sandwich Bread http://gingerlemongi...wich-bread.html but it does have a lot of ingredients and it still doesn't have that "bread" texture.  You can leave out the Sure-Jel.

You may find that you are better off (and save money) finding substitutes for bread - wrap sandwich fillings in corn tortillas or eat them plain, eat leftovers instead of sandwiches for lunch, make pancakes to use as bread.  Keep trying new recipes, and make them more than once, because many times it takes subtle adjustments to figure out how much water to use, whether to lower the temperature, how long to leave it in the oven.  If a loaf doesn't come out good, cube it up, dry it in the oven at 250, and crush the cubes for crumbs or saute them with seasoning for croutons.  I hope your husband is aware of how lucky he is to have someone willing to put this kind of time and effort into keeping him happy and healthy!

Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#4 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:01 AM

Are you baking from a mix or recipe?

In the beginning I found mixes easier and I learned a lot by trying different ones.

Also, I found gluten-free bread bakes better in small loaf pans - instead of one big loaf I made 3-4. It rises better and improved texture, IMO.

I'm one of those that opted for less bread, to be honest. I just couldn't get along with gluten-free bread. Lately, I've found Canyon Bakehouse hamburger buns to be very good and the Schar brand of rolls, rye type deli bread and white bread to be decent if I want a sandwich.

Otherwise, I use corn tortillas in place of flour tortillas and have cultivated my gluten-free cracker selection to replace pita bread, etc. I find "real" food substitutes (something not developed to be gluten-free but is normally gluten-free like corn tortillas) to be a much better way to work in my breads than trying to locate or bake gluten-free breads I find palatable.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#5 Aelfwine

Aelfwine

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

Hey guys, 

Thanks for all the suggestions. My husband is still really craving the white sandwich bread, so I shall persevere. Should I find anything that works I will let you all know. We have been trying the tortillas and next to try is the hamburger buns. Thanks for the brand suggestions, we shall try and see  :)

#6 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

Hey guys, 

Thanks for all the suggestions. My husband is still really craving the white sandwich bread, so I shall persevere. Should I find anything that works I will let you all know. We have been trying the tortillas and next to try is the hamburger buns. Thanks for the brand suggestions, we shall try and see  :)

Nothing is the same as white gluten-filled sandwich bread...but we think Glutino's Genius White is pretty darn good.  Canyon Bakehouse's Mountain White is very good...but not really white.  We use Udi's too -- better toasted.

We made our own for quite a long while....but never got bread that kept well and got tired of trying to keep up with hungry teens ;)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#7 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:37 PM

Hey guys, 

Thanks for all the suggestions. My husband is still craving the white sandwich bread, so I shall persevere. Should I find anything that works I will let you all know. We have been trying the tortillas and next to try is the hamburger buns. Thanks for the brand suggestions, we shall try and see  :)

I do a ton of bread baking and have posted some recipes here. One of the best is a recipe by one of our members. Search for Simonella's challah bread. My laptop died last night with all my saved recipes. It will be heartbreaking if my hard drive is lost.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#8 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:03 PM

I do a ton of bread baking and have posted some recipes here. One of the best is a recipe by one of our members. Search for Simonella's challah bread. My laptop died last night with all my saved recipes. It will be heartbreaking if my hard drive is lost.

Even if your laptop is not repairable...you can have the hard drive pulled and copied onto a new one....I do hope it is an easy repair...none of us want you to lose your recipes!!!

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#9 Aelfwine

Aelfwine

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

I searched for Simonella's challah bread but couldnt find it. Im not using mixes at the moment, just recipes on the internet. Just made a multigrain bread and this seems to be a bit better then the white bread. 

#10 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:23 PM

Even if your laptop is not repairable...you can have the hard drive pulled and copied onto a new one....I do hope it is an easy repair...none of us want you to lose your recipes!!!

Yes, I have done that before but this time there is also something very wrong with my hard drive, too. :-( Stupid dumb laptop. Am using my tablet which means slower/less typing. I keep my life on my laptop practically. Sad how I rely on it!!!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#11 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:41 PM

I searched for Simonella's challah bread but couldnt find it. Im not using mixes at the moment, just recipes on the internet. Just made a multigrain bread and this seems to be a bit better then the white bread. 

Here you go:

http://www.celiac.co...ecipe/?p=811764

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#12 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:40 AM

Yes, I have done that before but this time there is also something very wrong with my hard drive, too. :-( Stupid dumb laptop. Am using my tablet which means slower/less typing. I keep my life on my laptop practically. Sad how I rely on it!!!!

Back up...back up....back up!

#13 julissa

julissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:41 AM

Thanks for the link to her bread and challah recipes, just what I was looking for

#14 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:55 AM

Thanks for the link to her bread and challah recipes, just what I was looking for

You are welcome...I've been meaning to find them again for some time....this time I bookmarked the post :)

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#15 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:11 AM

Here you go:

http://www.celiac.co...ecipe/?p=811764

Sorry, Simona. Must have been dreaming of Salmonella!!!

I am making this bread again today. You actually form it rather than spoon or scoop the dough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: