21 replies to this topic

#16 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:28 AM

Would someone please let me know how much tapioca starch and arrowroot are required in this recipe? My tablet shows a blank where the amounts should be. Thanks!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:37 AM

Sorry, Simona. Must have been dreaming of Salmonella!!!

I am making this bread again today. You actually form it rather than spoon or scoop the dough.

I just came to look for those myself....Simona must have used a character for these measurements that didn't transfer properly after the big forum upgrade of '12!

Anyone else have a hard copy of this recipe floating around?

I'll PM Simona -- not sure if she is still hanging about.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#18 Simona19

Simona19

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:28 PM

I have fixed my recipe in the original post and I copied everything in this one. I hope, it will help you. 

Simona's braided Challah
(Gluten and casein free)

Ingredients:

3 cups white rice flour
2 cups brown rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1 cup potato starch
1/2 cup arrowroot starch
3 Tbsp. Xanthan gum
1 teaspoon Baking soda (I used measuring spoons)
1 Tbsp. of sugar
1 Tbsp. of salt  (I elevated this just now from 1 teaspoon to 1 Tbsp.The challah will taste better.)

3 cups of warm vanilla rice milk
2 rapid yeast packets
3 Tbsp. of sugar, for sweeter version add 2 more Tbsp.

4 large eggs
1 egg white
1 stick of Fleishman margarine in room temperature, not melted

Egg wash:
1 egg yolk
2 Tbsp. or sugar
1 Tbsp. of rice milk

Direction:

1. Mix yeast, sugar and warm milk together and let it rise for about 15-20 minutes.

2. Put all dry ingredient in stand mixer. Add proofed yeast, eggs, and egg white. Mix for 3 minutes on low and 2- 3 minutes on high.

3. Place waxed paper on 10x15 baking sheet. Take a bigger cutting board and spread some oil (vegetable, canola) over. Divide dough on 6-8 pieces. Put some oil on yours hands, the same way like you do with lotion. Take one peace of dough, make ball and roll it into braid long about 6-7 inches. Repeat it three times. Take this braids and braid them together. Place them on baking pan.
If you work with 8 pieces, make second row of the Challah the same way as first. For the third row of Challah use only two pieces.

2mmy35k.jpg

If you work with 6 pieces, then make second row with two braids and the first with one (like letter S).
When you work with braids, always have oily hands. Don't be afraid to use oil. Nothing will happen to dough.
This part is messy and little complicated, but it can be done.

4. Let it rise for 40-50 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 350 F.
6. Mix 1 egg yolk, sugar and milk and spread this mixture with brush over Challah. Bake it for 50-60 minutes.

2cen0jl.jpg

7. Mix 3 Tbsp. of sugar and 2 Tbsp. of water and spread it over Challah after you take it out.
Enjoy! This Challah tastes like the real think. It's very good and very soft for 3-4 days.

2411pas.jpg

OR

I bough round porcelain dish for pies. It's 2 inch deep and have 9 inches in diameter. I used it the second time when I baked this Challah.
I divided dough 6 times. I braided three braids together and placed them in one half of the pie pan. I repeated this with other three braids.

se6miq.jpg

I let it rise for 1 hour and baked on 350 F for 50 minutes. After I took it out, I spread the sugary water over the top of Challah. 2n9aptv.jpg From my experience its better, if you divide dough in half and bake two loafs at once.   

#19 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

I just came to look for those myself....Simona must have used a character for these measurements that didn't transfer properly after the big forum upgrade of '12!

Anyone else have a hard copy of this recipe floating around?

I'll PM Simona -- not sure if she is still hanging about.

I'm still here, but busy with my job and health problems, so most of the time, I will just read posts. But, I'm still baking and making new recipes. From the beginning I made a lot of bread crumbs, but now I have a shortage of them. :D

#20 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

I'm still here, but busy with my job and health problems, so most of the time, I will just read posts. But, I'm still baking and making new recipes. From the beginning I made a lot of bread crumbs, but now I have a shortage of them. :D

Great to see you!

Thanks for re-posting your recipe :)

Hope your health improves and the job isn't too stressful.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#21 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:48 PM

So glad to hear from you but am sad to hear of your health problems.

Will make this tomorrow. Thanks for posting this. I had a copy as I have made it since but misplaced it. It still remains my favourite!! You are very good.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#22 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:09 AM

http://www.celiac.co...sandwich-bread/ This is one recipe that is pretty close to sandwich bread. Again I fixed the amounts at the end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: