7 replies to this topic

#1 Mike212

Mike212

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:54 PM

I was wondering if a little crumb glutens me will it be not as bad as like a whole piece of bread or is it just as bad?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:56 PM

Just as bad.

#3 niese

niese

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:11 PM

Its all bad

Have a Bless Day!  :)

Denise

#4 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:30 PM

I was wondering if a little crumb glutens me will it be not as bad as like a whole piece of bread or is it just as bad?

Since eating any amount of gluten, no matter how small is like eating poison and will cause damage, I can reword this sentence in a way that should answer itself for you.

I was wondering if a little crumb of rat poison will be not as bad as like a whole box of rat poison or is it just as bad?

It sounds harsh, but it is exactly how seriously it needs to be taken to be healthy. Sure, accidents may happen... but would you ever eat rat poison on purpose? I should hope not.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:24 AM

Any amount of gluten is enough to trigger the immune response.  Once triggered it can take time for this response to stop.  A tiny crumb each day is enough to prevent healing and/or cause symptoms to return/worsen.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#6 Alwayssomething

Alwayssomething

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:29 AM

I read this question different than most people, I am thinking you are asking if your reaction to a crumb or small amount would be the same as if you ate (or when you ate before diagnosis) a lot of gluten.  

For me I get the exact same reaction now if I accidently get a little from cross contaminiation (because I would never knowing eat a small amount OR a big amount) as it was before diagnosis.  I know for some people it is worse, or they recognize new symptoms they never noticed before diagnosis.  

If your question was really to know if you can eat just a little bit every once in a while then I would second everything said in the responses above.

#7 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:52 AM

My reactions tend to vary according to how much gluten and what type (although as the others said, any small amount will hurt).  A beer would cause me to ballon up, get a headache and stomach ache, pancakes gave me pain. I was accidentally glutening myself this winter with some fries that had wheat starch in them. I was making them for my boys and would eat 5 or so every week. I didn't have any obvious reactions immediately but over time I slowly felt worse and worse and I KNEW something was wrong...Wheat starch on a few fries made me feel pretty poorly and I'm sure that was tiny amounts.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 Mike212

Mike212

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:42 AM

Thanks everyone for answering, I kinda knew the answer to that but I just wanted to see what everyone else said. I am not planning to eat tiny crumbs lol I just wanted to know the effects of an accidental crumb being ingested. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: