6 replies to this topic

#1 seraphim

seraphim

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:48 PM

My doctor is giving me this gene test...from what I read it can affect the bodies ability to detox...detox what exactly i'm not sure but I may have a problem with salicylates and I did read chemical sensitivities can happen as a result of this. I don't know if I completely understand the whole thing yet only that they often give methyl b12....does this help with methylation? Does it detox whatever is going on in your body? A little confused. Either way..anyone else have this gene mutation?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:45 AM

Methyl B12, are you talking about vitamin B?

#3 seraphim

seraphim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:08 PM

Yes a specific kind of b12 because it bypasses a certain stage of conversion that people with this mutation can't do.

#4 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:53 AM

methylcobalamin, that is B12 that is already methylated, which is the usable form.  If you take the cyano- variety, the body needs break the cyano- molecule off, ad then methylate the cobalamin.  most persons can do that, but those with that particular gene mutation can't.

#5 seraphim

seraphim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:19 PM

Right. From what I understand the defective gene is actually very common...about 40% of the population is suppose to have it.

#6 Mad Engineer

Mad Engineer

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:20 PM

I've been reading up on it. Not sure how much is real science and how much is interweb psudoscience. It sounds like many people with this issue has had success with the Methy version of B-12 along with l-methylfolate as part of their treatment "protocol", along with a bunch of other vitamins and minerals that are of course linked directly to websites that sell them. Taking those two above vitamins (available from any health supplement store) did help me with my fatigue and mental fog... not  totally but maybe 50-75%. The biggest thing is that it doesn't take me an hour to get out of bed anymore. I actually got out of bed before my alarm! which has never happened in my life!

anyway.. There seems to be quite a few overlaping symptoms between mthfr gene mutation and gluten intolerance.. and a common recommendation on mthfr treatment is to actually eliminate gluten and casein. I wonder if there is some kind of link between the two????? 

#7 seraphim

seraphim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:26 AM

Wouldn't shock me. The defect can lead to any number of issues. A friend of mine has it and has blood clotting issues. It tends to affect everyone differently.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: