Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Got My Results Back From Endoscopy And Colonoscopy

29 posts in this topic

Okay, I received my TPO numbers. 

TPO was 10.0 units

Everything look okay?

Do you know the range? If your lab is like mine, then the range will be 0-34.  That doesn't tell the whole story though - my TPO Ab has never been out of range yet my thyroid doesn't do much. I feel good on 150 mg of natural desiccated thyroid (with T4 and T3) which is a full replacement dose; my TSH is now 0.01 (range 0.2-6.0) and my free T3 is 5.6 (3.5-6.5). When my TSH was as high as yours, my FT4 was also low like yours is as was my FT3. Your FT3 looks okay - looks better than your FT4 and TSH so I am unsure what to advise...

I think I would say, if you continue to have hypo symptoms to request a trial of thyroid hormone supplementation and see if it helps you. If at all possible, find a doctor who is willing to treat based on symptoms rather than labs... they are rare.

I hope you feel well soon.  :(

I can't really answer the thyroid question. But I wonder if you have researched all the micronutrients and make sure you are getting enough iodine and others. You say you eat natural meat. Does that mean organic? Grass fed? And do you eat only lean meat, or do you eat fat and organ meat? The fats and the organs are very dense with nutrients.

Once your gut has been compromised with gluten, or with whatever else, or even if you are perfectly healthy, sometimes in our society it can be hard to get enough of all the micronutrients. Vitamin D for example, if you don't spend enough time in the sun.

All the fat soluble vitamins if you are not getting enough of the good fats.

For thyroid, try sea kelp. I also heard that you can get iodine by buying a bottle and swabbing a small patch on your arm every day. You can google and find more precise recommendations.

I think you are right, your problems are all tied together some way. I have the same thoughts. Many of my problems involve collagen being weak or malfunctioning. So things that seem completely unrelated like pelvic prolapse and detached retina, loose joints and tendons and joint pain, all involve connective tissue. I have a theory, that because of my undiagnosed gluten problem, years of subclinical malnourishment may be underlying all of this, weakening connective tissue in many areas of my body.

I doubt I will find any scientific studies relating these things together, but there is much they don't know yet. My approach is to try to improve my nutrition from now on and see what improves.

Do you know the range? If your lab is like mine, then the range will be 0-34.  That doesn't tell the whole story though - my TPO Ab has never been out of range yet my thyroid doesn't do much. I feel good on 150 mg of natural desiccated thyroid (with T4 and T3) which is a full replacement dose; my TSH is now 0.01 (range 0.2-6.0) and my free T3 is 5.6 (3.5-6.5). When my TSH was as high as yours, my FT4 was also low like yours is as was my FT3. Your FT3 looks okay - looks better than your FT4 and TSH so I am unsure what to advise...

I think I would say, if you continue to have hypo symptoms to request a trial of thyroid hormone supplementation and see if it helps you. If at all possible, find a doctor who is willing to treat based on symptoms rather than labs... they are rare.

I hope you feel well soon.   :(

Here's what it says:

Thyroid Peroxidase AB (TPO)

10.0 units       <101.

Result was obtained with INOVA QUANTA Lite TM TPO Elisa. Thyroid peroxidase Values obtained with different manufacturers' assay method may not be used interchangeably. The magnitude of the reported IgG levels cannot be correlated to endpoint titer.

Lock,

I eat a lot of lean meats (chicken breasts). But I do eat ground turkey thigh and a lot of salmon.

I just sent you a PM for some other questions.