28 replies to this topic

#16 0range

0range

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:19 PM

Alright, I got results back from the endocrinologist.

TSH - 2.82

T3 Free - 3.6

T4 Free - 0.8

A year ago my TSH was 1.41. A month ago it was 2.2, and now it tested at 2.82. Should I be concerned that it is rising each time I've had it tested?

Can you post the lab ranges? They will be next to your results :)

TSH can fluctuate even in healthy people, and it is generally not the greatest indicator of what is going on with your thyroid (as it is a pituitary gland hormone). I would suggest doing an antibodies test (anti-TPO & TgAB). Occasionally, even people whose labs are 'in range' and by all means look normal, can have symptoms if their antibody count is elevated. 

Canadian undergraduate student in 3rd year, studying Psychology and Speech Communication. Hoping to go into rehabilitation sciences!  B)

Dx with: 

Hashimoto's thyroiditis - 22/09/12

benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (bppv) - 18/05/13

irritable bowel syndrome - 21/06/13 

HLA-DQ8 gene ~ heterozygous (moderate risk for celiac) - 29/11/13

-> underwent a colonoscopy on 24/08/13, showed mild focal colitis + lymphoid hyperplasia (aka inflammation) in terminal ileum

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 spirit_walk

spirit_walk

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:57 PM

Can you post the lab ranges? They will be next to your results :)

TSH can fluctuate even in healthy people, and it is generally not the greatest indicator of what is going on with your thyroid (as it is a pituitary gland hormone). I would suggest doing an antibodies test (anti-TPO & TgAB). Occasionally, even people whose labs are 'in range' and by all means look normal, can have symptoms if their antibody count is elevated. 

Sure.

TSH - 2.82            0.44-4.37

T3 Free - 3.6         2.5-3.9

T4 Free - 0.8         0.6-1.6

I had asked for the doctor to test Anti-TPO, and she said she was going to order the test, but I guess she didn't after all. Frustrating. I'm going to call the office tomorrow and ask about it.

#18 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:45 AM

My joint pain only involved swelling and heat the first time it happened. After that it just hurt when I had some sort of autoimmune attack (possibly celiac caused or from hypothyroidism).

Your free T3 looks pretty good. That is the active hormone and you appear to have a good amount. With that number, I would guess you are not hypo unless your body has a problem using T3... but I am not an expert in this at all. T3 uptake would be the thing to check... I believe.

Your free T4 is a tad low, and if i hadn`t seen your FT3 was fine I would have been a it concerned..

TSH is getting a bit on the higher end, and I know that I have symptoms when mine is that high, but my FT3 was usually much lower than yours.

I would keep an eye on your thyroid  but at the moment it doesn`t look (obviously) bad at all.

Post your TPO Ab when you get it. That will (usually) tell you if there is an autoimmune attack on your thyroid.

Best wishes.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#19 spirit_walk

spirit_walk

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:50 PM

Thanks NVS.

#20 nora_n

nora_n

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:06 AM

I felt terrible as soon as my TSH went above 2.

DonĀ“t be fooled by the ft3, and the reason it is okay-ish is because when thyroid hromone is scarce (which the high TSH shows, as normal TSH is very close to 1) , the body increases teh amount of an enzyme that makes more t3 in order to squeeze out more active hormone from tight resources.

The low ft4 shows you are starting to get hypothyroid.

On the german thyroid forum, they have websites where you can input the ranges and results and get the % out, and if the % of the ft4 is lower than the % ft3, then they deem you hypo. (also, most places doctors start germans on thyroid hormone as soon as TSh goes above 2,5)

About your celiac gene test: what genes do you have, what DQ or what was the result?

I have double DQ5, for example, and DH and negative celiac blood tests, but for DH you do not need the genes nor the blood tests.

With your negative genes, you will most likely get negative blood tests and biopsy, but you can get the diagnosis of gluten sensitivity.

Often those are are even more sensitive to gluten than ordinary DQ2 celiacs. (so gluten sensitivity is not celiac light)

By the way, now some researchers say that all celiacs do have some mixture between gluten sensitivity and celiac. 

The immediate symptoms are mostly those from gluten sensitivity, and the long-term symptoms are celiac and gluten sensitivity.

gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.
daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.
non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5
Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet
Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

#21 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:19 PM

Good points Nora.  :)

Nicole Posted Image

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012

CANADIAN

#22 AlwaysLearning

AlwaysLearning

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:15 PM

Just throwing some ideas out. Sorry if I repeated anything already said as I didn't read all of the previous posts.

With the pains up high in the chest, I have to wonder if you've considered the possibility of pancreatitis as well? Did they do any tests that would show it?

You seem as if you'd be a great candidate for keeping a food/symptom diary, and to perhaps use a four-day cycle of foods to help you eliminate the possible problems without being stuck eating a mono diet. And don't forget to throw some organic days in the mix as well. There are plenty of foods that are really bad for you - unless they are organic and then they are fine - like potatoes. You may want to look up "foods farmers won't eat".

Even the most seemingly innocent beverages can cause pain. I can't drink tap water because of all of the toxins in it. I know fluoride is not on my body's friend list, but they put so much chlorine in that the smell alone would keep me from sipping. Even filtered it will still send my stomach into knots. I have to buy bottled spring water. 

And though you seem to be the king of getting tests run, have they tested you for vitamin deficiencies yet? You did mention a poor diet in the past and now some digestive issues so could you be low on a few essential nutrients? Some deficiencies have some pretty painful symptoms, including those that affect the gut.

And did they test for some of the known pathogens that can cause stomach problems, such as H pylori?

#23 spirit_walk

spirit_walk

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:28 AM

Thanks for the input nora. The doctor seems to think that my numbers are in the normal range. I am concerned about the TSH rising. The rheumy I recently saw wanted me to try Cymbalta. I tried it for one day and felt horrible. I felt like I wanted to vomit and have been in a haze for the last couple of days. He also put me Nexium for the inflammation in the stomach. I started taking it a week earlier and there are no issues/side effects. I am getting to the point that I don't feel like the docs are going to help much. There are times when I wonder if I should go back to eating all foods where I would feel like I'm dying. Maybe I would be able to get something to show up in my tests. I'm wondering if the diet is masking whatever is causing the joint popping and other symptoms.

#24 spirit_walk

spirit_walk

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:30 AM

Just throwing some ideas out. Sorry if I repeated anything already said as I didn't read all of the previous posts.

With the pains up high in the chest, I have to wonder if you've considered the possibility of pancreatitis as well? Did they do any tests that would show it?

You seem as if you'd be a great candidate for keeping a food/symptom diary, and to perhaps use a four-day cycle of foods to help you eliminate the possible problems without being stuck eating a mono diet. And don't forget to throw some organic days in the mix as well. There are plenty of foods that are really bad for you - unless they are organic and then they are fine - like potatoes. You may want to look up "foods farmers won't eat".

Even the most seemingly innocent beverages can cause pain. I can't drink tap water because of all of the toxins in it. I know fluoride is not on my body's friend list, but they put so much chlorine in that the smell alone would keep me from sipping. Even filtered it will still send my stomach into knots. I have to buy bottled spring water. 

And though you seem to be the king of getting tests run, have they tested you for vitamin deficiencies yet? You did mention a poor diet in the past and now some digestive issues so could you be low on a few essential nutrients? Some deficiencies have some pretty painful symptoms, including those that affect the gut.

And did they test for some of the known pathogens that can cause stomach problems, such as H pylori?

I have been tested for vitamin deficiencies, and my numbers seem to be okay. I haven't asked about pancreatitis. It doesn't appear that I have many of the symptoms though from what I read about it. Thanks for the input.

#25 spirit_walk

spirit_walk

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:39 PM

My joint pain only involved swelling and heat the first time it happened. After that it just hurt when I had some sort of autoimmune attack (possibly celiac caused or from hypothyroidism).

Your free T3 looks pretty good. That is the active hormone and you appear to have a good amount. With that number, I would guess you are not hypo unless your body has a problem using T3... but I am not an expert in this at all. T3 uptake would be the thing to check... I believe.

Your free T4 is a tad low, and if i hadn`t seen your FT3 was fine I would have been a it concerned..

TSH is getting a bit on the higher end, and I know that I have symptoms when mine is that high, but my FT3 was usually much lower than yours.

I would keep an eye on your thyroid  but at the moment it doesn`t look (obviously) bad at all.

Post your TPO Ab when you get it. That will (usually) tell you if there is an autoimmune attack on your thyroid.

Best wishes.

Okay, I received my TPO numbers. 

TPO was 10.0 units

Everything look okay?

#26 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:53 AM

Okay, I received my TPO numbers. 

TPO was 10.0 units

Everything look okay?

Do you know the range? If your lab is like mine, then the range will be 0-34.  That doesn't tell the whole story though - my TPO Ab has never been out of range yet my thyroid doesn't do much. I feel good on 150 mg of natural desiccated thyroid (with T4 and T3) which is a full replacement dose; my TSH is now 0.01 (range 0.2-6.0) and my free T3 is 5.6 (3.5-6.5). When my TSH was as high as yours, my FT4 was also low like yours is as was my FT3. Your FT3 looks okay - looks better than your FT4 and TSH so I am unsure what to advise...

I think I would say, if you continue to have hypo symptoms to request a trial of thyroid hormone supplementation and see if it helps you. If at all possible, find a doctor who is willing to treat based on symptoms rather than labs... they are rare.

I hope you feel well soon.  :(

Nicole Posted Image

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012

CANADIAN

#27 Lock

Lock

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

I can't really answer the thyroid question. But I wonder if you have researched all the micronutrients and make sure you are getting enough iodine and others. You say you eat natural meat. Does that mean organic? Grass fed? And do you eat only lean meat, or do you eat fat and organ meat? The fats and the organs are very dense with nutrients.

Once your gut has been compromised with gluten, or with whatever else, or even if you are perfectly healthy, sometimes in our society it can be hard to get enough of all the micronutrients. Vitamin D for example, if you don't spend enough time in the sun.

All the fat soluble vitamins if you are not getting enough of the good fats.

For thyroid, try sea kelp. I also heard that you can get iodine by buying a bottle and swabbing a small patch on your arm every day. You can google and find more precise recommendations.

I think you are right, your problems are all tied together some way. I have the same thoughts. Many of my problems involve collagen being weak or malfunctioning. So things that seem completely unrelated like pelvic prolapse and detached retina, loose joints and tendons and joint pain, all involve connective tissue. I have a theory, that because of my undiagnosed gluten problem, years of subclinical malnourishment may be underlying all of this, weakening connective tissue in many areas of my body.

I doubt I will find any scientific studies relating these things together, but there is much they don't know yet. My approach is to try to improve my nutrition from now on and see what improves.

#28 spirit_walk

spirit_walk

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:33 PM

Do you know the range? If your lab is like mine, then the range will be 0-34.  That doesn't tell the whole story though - my TPO Ab has never been out of range yet my thyroid doesn't do much. I feel good on 150 mg of natural desiccated thyroid (with T4 and T3) which is a full replacement dose; my TSH is now 0.01 (range 0.2-6.0) and my free T3 is 5.6 (3.5-6.5). When my TSH was as high as yours, my FT4 was also low like yours is as was my FT3. Your FT3 looks okay - looks better than your FT4 and TSH so I am unsure what to advise...

I think I would say, if you continue to have hypo symptoms to request a trial of thyroid hormone supplementation and see if it helps you. If at all possible, find a doctor who is willing to treat based on symptoms rather than labs... they are rare.

I hope you feel well soon.   :(

Here's what it says:

Thyroid Peroxidase AB (TPO)

10.0 units       <101.

Result was obtained with INOVA QUANTA Lite TM TPO Elisa. Thyroid peroxidase Values obtained with different manufacturers' assay method may not be used interchangeably. The magnitude of the reported IgG levels cannot be correlated to endpoint titer.

#29 spirit_walk

spirit_walk

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:45 PM

Lock,

I eat a lot of lean meats (chicken breasts). But I do eat ground turkey thigh and a lot of salmon.

I just sent you a PM for some other questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: