Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Otc Supplements To Treat Symptoms

7 posts in this topic

When I started going gluten-free, I had a pretty bad case of depression for weeks and I basically tried every single supplement on Amazon that had a good review to alleviate the depression....None of them really did a whole lot for me. (at one point I was taking pills from 5 bottles at a time... lol)

Obviously there's no cure to what we have but has anyone had any luck with OTC supplements to help with the symptoms ? 

for me, its the brain fog that I'm still dealing with... there's a bunch of stuff that claims to improve cognitive ability (I learned the term Nootropics in my research) has anyone have real experience with anything that helps with their symptoms?

Ads by Google:

Vitamin B12 sublingual, all natural supplement helped my brain fog and fatigue, until I got too much of it and got brain fog and fatigue!  Digestive enzymes are helping me to break down my food as my villi are healing.  My villi are too damaged to do the job of telling the pancreas to fire.  I take a multi-vitamin and am currently trying to find an over the counter powdered one that will work for me.  I have been getting it through a health practitioner and it has worked wonders for me.  I had nutrient levels tested and  found out what other food intolerances I had.  This helped me with brain fog.  I make sure to buy natural products which I feel are taken into the body better.

any special kind? I tried a subligual B complex drop.. it does hype me up some what. I made the mistake of taking it right before bed one time and had an even harder time falling asleep then usual. 

I've briefly read some stuff on folate (which I think its B5?) that some people had success with brain fog?

All of the Natural food store Vitamin B sublingual tablets worked, so no special kind.  I am low in folate, but now my vitamin B12 is good.  I have a clear mind now!  For me, anyway B12 seemed to be the key.  I am working on bringing up my Folate by taking a vitamin B supplement with it and taking more green vegetables. I am looking for a supplement to give me a boost; however I have so many intolerances that supplements are hard to find.

D

Thank you for the tip about the B vitamins. I did some more research and found out there are many forms of B12. The most common form is the cyanocobalamin which is less potent and breaks down to negligible amount of cyanide. I bought some of the methylcobalamin which is supposed to be more absorb-able.

during my search in B-vitamins learned about MTHFR polymorphism, (reduced ability to process folate) which seems to help people with chronic fatigue, esp with mental fog.  This probably belongs in a separate post but some of the treatment "protocols" basically involves taking methylcoblamin and folate in the form of l-methylfolate.

I don't know how much real science is behind it but I've reach the point of trying stuff that may work in a 'shotgun approach" (especially when these supplements are so inexpensive compared to prescription drugs and probably less side effects). Anyway I've taken the two for a few days and I'd have to say my energy level is up and my mental fog is maybe 50-75% gone. its no miracle cure and I'm not 100% cured yet,  but hopefully someone finds this useful. 

Who'd knew such a cheap common vitamin can have such an impact on energy levels!  (I should probably get tested for the MTHFR genes to make sure I actually do have this genetic defect and its not all in my head)

Anyway, if anyone has any other ideas, please share!

Hi there

I found b12 good too, and when I made sure I wasn't getting cross contamination and cleaned up my diet, to mostly paleo had great improvements. Brian fog is now one of my first symptoms when glutened, along with a kind of instant feeling of hopelessness which last about 3 days.

Might be worth checking for any sneaky cc happening.

Glad you are getting some relief already, depression ain't fun.

Welcome to the board :)

Are you doing enzymes and Probiotic?  My Healthline Restore Probiotic seems to be doing something.  I am planning to try their enzymes as well, but for now I am taking Integrative Therapeutics, Inc enzymes which I get through my health practitioner.  I have also had success with enzymes from health food stores.  I can't remember exact brands, but have had success from several.  One of my favorite brands at the health food store are Nutrition Way.  I am not sure they do enzymes, though.

If you have adrenal issues you can look up herbs to support your adrenals.  I am using Astragalus, Siberian Eleuthero, and licorice in a preparation I purchased from my health care provider.  They advised me to go buy herbal singles from the store and I found them surprisingly inexpensive compared to other supplements. 

I really like to talk about these natural things.  They can be very powerful, so caution is warranted.  I once burned a sprained leg, that I was trying to help, by applying  a dry mustard compress.  I know of someone that burned their finger with garlic.  Check with a healthcare provider, and/or carefully study it out, so you do no harm.

D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Advil (ibuprofen) is gluten-free, but can be a stomach irritant, especially if taken on an empty stomach. That said, I will also place my bet on the garlic and onions. As Raven said, eating more than once a day may also help. An empty stomach is likely to be an irritable stomach.
    • Another link: http://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/7351/PDF
    • Thanks for posting.  I know it is difficult to talk about these sorts of things even on a webforum.  It is good thing for people to be aware though about celiac disease and that it can cause mental problems.  Gluten can cause brain damage and it can cause anxiety. If the brain does heal it may take a long time. I know that gluten can cause anxiety and obsessive thoughts.  My experience has been similar to your experience. When I first quit eating gluten I had a similar constant loop and strong negative feelings. There are lots of people on this forum who get anxiety when they eat gluten. Some people also experience gluten withdrawl where they experience anxiety after giving up gluten. It can take a long time for the body to heal and for obsessive thoughts to go away.
       It is normal for people to socialize with each other and to be comfortable about it. You said you have problems still socializing and being around people. It might be a depressing thought but it sounds to me like you still have problems with anxiety.  I would recommend considering what options you have available to treat the anxiety. When I quit eating Gluten I still had some symptoms, even though I felt much better. I have been slowly recovering over a period of about three years. I had obsessive thoughts even after I quit eating gluten.  Now I very rarely if at all think about those things. My experience is that my mind would latch on to certain things that caused me anxiety and focus on those things. Sometimes my focus would shift and I would latch onto other things. My ability to socialize has also improved greatly with time. I have made some dietary changes which I believe have helped greatly. It sounds to me like you have obsessive thoughts about things and maybe some brain damage. My experience has been that my obsessive thoughts about different things went away with time. I feel my obsessive thoughts were caused by gluten and not by what people did around me or any events. As my brain healed I became more self aware and things became less stressful.  I can't give medical advice on this forum but I can talk about my current diet and my experience with celiac disease. My experience with gluten is different from a lot of other people so it is a good idea to ask other people and to talk to a doctor.  I avoid oats and avoid almost all processed foods. I buy certified gluten free food. I eat healthy and I exercise every day. I take st John's Wort as I have read studies that say it may be as effective as some other anti-depressants for treating certain types of anxiety. It is available over the counter. I started with a small dosage and then stepped it up over time. I think it helps a lot.  This is also something that you should talk to a doctor about first. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Martin_Mahoney2/publication/7426926_St._John's_wort/links/540d8acc0cf2f2b29a386673.pdf A lot of people with celiac disease have vitamin deficiencies.  Vitamin b deficiency can cause anxiety. Some people do not process the synthetic form of vitamin b (from normal pills)  very well, and do better on an activated form of vitamin b. I take:
      1 activated vitamin b12 daily
      1 activated vitamin b6 every once in a while. 1 regular vitamin b multivitamin
      1 magnesium pill every day.
      St Johns Wort daily.
      1 zinc vitamin daily
      I drink lots of Chamomile tea and decaf coffee. I avoid most caffeine. 
      I think each of these helps lower my anxiety level.  I eat fruit with every meal. Canned fruit from walmart is cheap and good for you. I eat salad and and vegetables and avoid dairy.  I eat frozen fish often as it has healthy proteins. Eating healthy is very important. I eat potatoes and rice. http://www.livestrong.com/article/454179-what-is-methyl-b12/ I avoid eating soy sauce, soy, cheese, aged meats and fermented foods (I do drink certain types of alcohol in moderate amounts.) These foods contain lots of Tyramine. I might (or might not) have "monoaine oxidase deficiency" and if so high Tyramine foods should be avoided.  I thought I might have problems with elevated ammonia in my blood, but I am not convinced of that anymore. I limited my consumption of meat for a while as well as dairy but I am not sure if i helped.  I have heard that Celiac disease can effect other organs besides the brain and those organs can have an effect on the brain.  My current diet is working so I am going to stick with it for now. I try not to worry about things that are outside of my control. Be patient as it took me a long time to recover.  Let me know if you have any questions. There is a lot of information on this site and people who are willing to help.

• Thank you. This is really helpful. I will call around next week.  I just want to heal! 
    • My endoscopy showed i had decreased folds in my duodenum. The biopsy came back and showed that my villi were fine... i have been on a gluten free diet for 6 years because i was just told i was intolerant but never had any testing before. when i eat gluten i get sick for 2 weeks. i came down with issues of other foods in march so they were trying to figure out why and wanted to know if i had celiac are not because that would explain why dairy and fructose are a problem.. both intolerant test for both were negative but the fructose test made me extremely sick but it was negative...      Im trying to figure out why i have decreased  folds in the first place. my Gi doctor is stumped on that to why the endoscopy would show damage but the under the microscope are fine. She is going to call the dr who did my scope and then is supposed to get back to  me..    would being gluten free for 6 year make it so there was damage and then my vili are now fine but still cant be seen in the endoscope?
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Dtroutmann