24 replies to this topic

#16 Fire Fairy

Fire Fairy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:12 AM

According to my ND that's a symptom of estrogen dominance and low progesterone. After adding more progesterone cream and upping my t3 meds my periods are finally only 5 days long and minimal clotting.

Btw, I get the barometric pressure headaches. And normally, only in winter. Though, since my FL trip (and apparent low level gluten exposure), I've been having allergy and barometric symptoms in the summer...which sucks big lemons.

Drat so that sounds like I should probably go to an doctor ASAP. 

If you over-salt a dish while you are cooking, that's too bad. Please recite with me the real woman's motto: 'I made it, you will eat it and I don't care how bad it tastes!'-unknown

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Fire Fairy

Fire Fairy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:14 AM

I noticed this would happen if I had been in one position for a long time.  Like laying down and then getting up , or sitting and then standing.  Its like it was dammed up and the shift in the body position released it.

I've had that too but the worrisome thing is when it happens at work when I'm standing.

If you over-salt a dish while you are cooking, that's too bad. Please recite with me the real woman's motto: 'I made it, you will eat it and I don't care how bad it tastes!'-unknown

#18 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

I've had that too but the worrisome thing is when it happens at work when I'm standing.

I know exactly what you're talking about. I had hideous clots after my son was born. Looked like an organ falling out through my uterus.

The t3/progesterone helped. Also, adrenal balancing. Ugh. A mess.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#19 alesusy

alesusy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:14 AM

I don't know about the huge clots, I'm afraid.

DilettanteSteph thanks for the input about aurea migraines. I suffered from migraines as a teen and around my 20s but then they tapered off. This aura thing is totally new and came on AFTER I was off gluten. My gastro doctor declared they have nothing to do with each other. Maybe after going off gluten I've become much more sensitive and exposure triggered auras (but they tend to come every 7/10 days) For me, court is still open: hormones? celiac? hormones go crazy if ccd because of gluten? The only good thing is that I am not taking any drugs - apart from probiotics and homoepatic remedies. I have to say that this last month I've been OK - apart from a certain degree of leg itching - and that I ve not had an aura migraine in the last 20 days. But my last period came regularly at the right moment.

What I believe - but I have no proofs, and no doctor seems really interested - is that the two things are related: my hormones are playing up because of celiac. I may never know.

I can honestly say however that in the last seven months since going gluten-free I made progresses. Things are not perfect but in terms of energy, gastro problems, outlook on life generally I am much better. Then I get whacky weeks - and if I was ccd, I don't know when or how.

#20 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:32 AM

Hi I'm chiming in as a Celiac and Migraine sufferer. 90% of my Migraines disappeared after going gluten-free. Migraines require two triggers I spent over a decade knowing that and avoiding all the known triggers I possibly could but I did not realize gluten was a trigger. Two of my triggers are my hormones fluctuating during PMS (or PMDD) and barometric pressure changes (in other words an on coming storm). Every single time a storm front came in and every month just before my period I was guaranteed a migraine. I actually spent one third of my last year before being recognized as a Celiac with Migraine. Last week was very stressful as Monday my mom had to be sent by ambulance to the hospital. On Wed night I swelled up like a basketball in my abdomen area. When I got up Thursday morning I felt awful, it was mostly just a general feeling of doom with awful nausea. And then more symptoms piled on. It was a migraine without the head pain. I was very weak feeling and I could tell I was near passing out at work (I have a lot of experience with passing out when I was younger). I went to the breakroom and sat and realized all the notices on our bulletin board were blurry. I get olfactory hallucinations sometimes with Migraines which I think is a form of Aura. Not sure if I had it this time as I work in a place were I'm prone to dismiss some smells. I had to go home. A few hours later a strong storm came in. I recognized the next day I had cross contaminated (?) myself Wed by giving a therapy dog a biscuit and not being able to wash my hands immediately afterwards.

At any rate in my case both hormones and gluten trigger migraines.

Now I have a question, since I know there are a few ladies reading who have or are experiencing menopause at some stage. Many months during my period I drop large globs of blood. So large that it fills an extra long extra absorbing pad to the point that if I don't literally race to the restroom it goes through to my panties and then my jeans. My pads will be totally blood red and heavy and it's from one glob of blood. Is that just a symptom of PMDD, is it the coming of menopause or is this something I should be even more concerned about. Someone suggested it sounded like I was hemorrhaging. It's been going on for several years now. It doesn't happen every month but it happens more months than not. Thoughts?

Hormones shifting.  My periods at the end of perimenopause were so long and heavy that I became super anemic.  I had a few fibroids (no pain) but I refused surgery and opted for Hormone Replacement Therapy.  Bi-estrogen and progesterone both helped.  Used bio-identical from a compounding pharmacy.  For that symptom, I needed to be one them for about six months. 

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#21 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:55 AM

If you do a google search you will find discussion of a connection between hormones and celiac disease.  There seems to have been more done with male hormones, but maybe you can find enough to convince your doctor that they could be a connection.

The food/symptom journal technique lets me know when and why I get cc'ed, but I have some pretty obvious symptoms.  It can be a lot more difficult if you don't.  

#22 answerseeker

answerseeker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

wow, I just logged on this morning to search the forum for anything on this topic.

I went to the gyn a few days ago because I am now going on 15 days of straight bleeding. I spotted before this last cycle too so at this point it's almost been continuous.  I just turned 40 this month like literally 3 weeks ago. My ferritin level is already low to begin with (22) so this is concerning for me. I meet with a nutritionist (dr. referred) at the end of the month.

She did an endometrial biopsy to rule out uterine cancer and thank goodness it came back neg. So she is thinking perimenopause. I'm still in denial because the bleeding is the only symptom of that I have. No hot flashes or anything like that.

My celiac diagnosis has been vague. My GI dr. believes I have it even though tests were negative (TTG and biopsy) so for now he is calling it gluten intolerance without a true "celiac picture". He says I am a difficult case because all symtpoms point to it but he can't give me a dignosis with negative tests. I've only been gluten free for 3 weeks or so

The Celiac symptoms just came on 2 months ago but I've been having other problems before that. April of 2012 I was diagnosed with adult onset asthma which they are calling acute becuase that too seemed to come on suddenly and with a bang! It's been very hard to manage I've already been hospitalized just last month and on prednisone 3 times within a year. Since eliminating gluten though I haven't even coughed!

wondering if the hospital stay and all the meds could be causing the bleeding? What should I do in terms of the risk of my ferritin dropping even lower with all this bleeding. I am going to seek another opinion with my old gyn, I just have to pay cash because it's not through Kaiser. This gyn agreed my ferritin is low and this could be dangerous but didn't offer me a solution, only said we could do hormones :-/

Lori age 40

GERD diagnosed Feb 2012

acute adult onset asthma diagnosed April 2012

celiac diagnosis July 2013

osteopenia Sept 2013

Dysautonomia: POTS (autonomic nervous system dysfunction)

DQ2 Gene

#23 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:39 AM

This is totally anecdotal, but maybe it can put your mind at rest.  I remember years ago a friend said that she had her period for 30 days straight as a regular non celiac perimenopause thing.  Unexplained bleeding should always be checked out according to my gyno, but maybe it's not that unusual.

#24 surviormom

surviormom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:04 AM

Me too.  It feels like I just gave birth some months.  Its always been hard to get it across to the doctor just how bad it is, but he just did a vaginal ultrasound because my uterus is enlarged and found Fibroids, that led to a Hysteroscopy, still waiting to be told what he thought about that.  I was sent home a little loopy, they will call in a day or two.  After the vaginal, I was told, I have Endometriosis and Fibroids and that could explain the heavy bleeding.  I know fibroids are common, particularly in estrogen dominance, does gluten impact this?  I have tried to use progesterone to balance the estrogen but then I break out in pimples.  So, you are not alone, I am not alone, just another thing we have to deal with.  Fortunately, this will not go one forever.  If I am nearing menopause, there is end in sight for it.

Gluten Free 2012 - Dairy Free 2012 - Acid Reflux Diet 2013

Chronic Gastritis 2013 - Peptic Duodenitis 2013 - Hiatal Hernia 2013 - C-Diff 2013 - Endometriosis 2013 - Uterine Fibroids 2013

Patellar Tendonitis 2013 - Arthritis 2014 - NCGI 2014 - Erosive Esophagitis 2014 - Barretts 2014

I have a long list of physical ailments that were being grouped into age/gender by doctors.

Began Gluten Free and Casein Free after an Allergy Test trying to find answers to health problems that the doctors just were not answering well enough. Looking back through history, I have a lifetime of allergies and gastro issues.

Learn from yesterday, Live for today, and Hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Albert Einstein

#25 answerseeker

answerseeker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:04 AM

Me too. It feels like I just gave birth some months. Its always been hard to get it across to the doctor just how bad it is, but he just did a vaginal ultrasound because my uterus is enlarged and found Fibroids, that led to a Hysteroscopy, still waiting to be told what he thought about that. I was sent home a little loopy, they will call in a day or two. After the vaginal, I was told, I have Endometriosis and Fibroids and that could explain the heavy bleeding. I know fibroids are common, particularly in estrogen dominance, does gluten impact this? I have tried to use progesterone to balance the estrogen but then I break out in pimples. So, you are not alone, I am not alone, just another thing we have to deal with. Fortunately, this will not go one forever. If I am nearing menopause, there is end in sight for it.

Endometriosis is very common in celiacs

Lori age 40

GERD diagnosed Feb 2012

acute adult onset asthma diagnosed April 2012

celiac diagnosis July 2013

osteopenia Sept 2013

Dysautonomia: POTS (autonomic nervous system dysfunction)

DQ2 Gene

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: