3 replies to this topic

#1 mommy2krj

mommy2krj

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:04 PM

I will start off saying, this is just something I was told by my son's GI doctor today. I have no sources and honestly in all the reading I've been doing since learning it was even a possibility that my youngest has Celiac I haven't come across any mentions of it. Though, I will admit, I tried to stay away from all the related disorders and such because I didn't want to freak myself out even more. :)

So, I have no sources other than "I heard it from" but maybe someone else has a source or something.

We went in to the GI today to get the result of my son's endoscopy. Biopsy results showed up negative but due to some scalloping we've decided to go ahead and try the gluten-free diet (his tTG IgA was a weak positive). During the course of our discussion we decided to do another blood test for the EMA IgG, genetics and apparently she wants to run a test to make sure his Hep B vaccine has done what it needs to do. She said she was part of a study and they found that 56% of the patients were found to not have the protection from the vaccine that needed to be there...or was expected to be there.

I can't remember why she said the issue was there but I know it had something to do with gluten....either the antibodies your body produces or that there was gluten in the vaccine....that part's kind of fuzzy...there was a lot of information being thrown at me and that was one of the few things that was really new information.

But, even though, I'm not an expert...by any means...and I know we're supposed to follow info like this up....I don't even know where I would find reputable information that I could post here. Our GI is a Pedi GI @ UW Children's Health in Madison, WI....if that helps anyone.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:37 AM

yes that is true.  I have seen that numerous places.  It appears people with Celiac may require multiple tries at the Hep B vaccine.  This does not appear to be true with other vaccines.

http://www.curecelia...ine-that-sticks

http://www.celiac.co...ease/Page1.html

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:18 AM

I will start off saying, this is just something I was told by my son's GI doctor today. I have no sources and honestly in all the reading I've been doing since learning it was even a possibility that my youngest has Celiac I haven't come across any mentions of it. Though, I will admit, I tried to stay away from all the related disorders and such because I didn't want to freak myself out even more. :)

So, I have no sources other than "I heard it from" but maybe someone else has a source or something.

We went in to the GI today to get the result of my son's endoscopy. Biopsy results showed up negative but due to some scalloping we've decided to go ahead and try the gluten-free diet (his tTG IgA was a weak positive). During the course of our discussion we decided to do another blood test for the EMA IgG, genetics and apparently she wants to run a test to make sure his Hep B vaccine has done what it needs to do. She said she was part of a study and they found that 56% of the patients were found to not have the protection from the vaccine that needed to be there...or was expected to be there.

I can't remember why she said the issue was there but I know it had something to do with gluten....either the antibodies your body produces or that there was gluten in the vaccine....that part's kind of fuzzy...there was a lot of information being thrown at me and that was one of the few things that was really new information.

But, even though, I'm not an expert...by any means...and I know we're supposed to follow info like this up....I don't even know where I would find reputable information that I could post here. Our GI is a Pedi GI @ UW Children's Health in Madison, WI....if that helps anyone.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....e titers celiac

#4 mommy2krj

mommy2krj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:32 AM

Thank you for the links! So much information entering my head lately and that one was brought up yesterday at my appointment and I just hadn't seen anything about it. Though....I really was trying to avoid the associated stuff so that probably had something to do with it. Probably would have freaked me out. I'm glad it's common knowledge though so people can make sure those vaccinations stick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: