8 replies to this topic

#1 shellden

shellden

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:19 PM

I have an 8 year old son who at 3 had a food sensitivity test showing reaction to gluten and egg. He tested negative for celiac. Was made to sound like he may outgrow it as long as removed for a good period of time, which we've done to our knowledge. Lately we allow him to have occasional treats, cupcake at school, pizza etc and didn't notice any changes. A couple weeks ago he had quite a bit of gluten and was ill on vacation with headache, gas, diarrhea and vomited once. I also noticed lots of pimply bumps on sides of face and chin. Tonight we were out and he said he thought he peed his pants but wasn't sure. Then he said he doesn't think he's feeling better yet from when he was sick on holidays. We went to a washroom and he let out small amount of clear mucousy liquid, which is what leaked into his pants..not pee.
Would these things indicate a reaction to gluten or egg or does it sound like more of a virus.
I should mention that the reason I got him tested in the first place was that he always seemed very tired, cranky, would not toilet train, and had black tarry stools, plus some skin discoloration (white patch on his hip).
I feel awful allowing gluten into his diet now that this is happening, but these don't sound like any symptoms I've come across so any input is much appreciated.
Cheers :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:11 PM

Welcome :)

First....don't feel bad for allowing foods that you were told would be safe for your child.

Unfortunately the tests for Celiac Disease are not exact and with children it can be even more difficult to obtain an exact diagnosis.

Here is the good news....you have a history of symptoms and resolution with removal of gluten.  Yes, this is good news.

So...here is the question...how long has your son been ingesting gluten?

If this has been one or two small instances of gluten and he immediately had these issues - well that is important info.

If there has been regular ingestion of gluten for some time -- this is also relevant.

If he were my child...I would insist on a full celiac antibody panel:

Total Serum IgA

tTG - IgA and IgG

DGP - IgA and IgG

nutrient blood work is always a good idea as celiac causes malabsorption:

B1, B2, B6, B12, D, K, Iron, Ferritin,Copper, Zinc

oh...and if they have not been run:

CBC, CMP

oops...sorry if that was too much

welcome...ask questions...lots of us hanging around to help :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#3 shellden

shellden

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:31 AM

Thank you :) have in the past asked Dr. To test B12 but he didn't feel that it was necessary. He is really easy to deal with, so I'm sure he'll do any test I ask for..he tells moms to trust their instincts.
Seems like in the past nobody felt there was a problem except me. When he went gluten free and his stools changed to normal color that got his attention. He also used the toilet after 1-2 days on his own.
I got thinking that the pimples on face could be due to sunscreen, but can't explain the clear diarrhea. If not diet related then I would be concerned about a blockage or other injury to the colon..not complaining of pain so will wait a few days on better diet and see if returns to normal

#4 stanleymonkey

stanleymonkey

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:20 AM

Black tarry stools are usually a sign of intestinal, or colon bleeding, if it happens again I'd take him to the nearest emergency room, he may need blood products. Passing mucous is usually a sign the intestines and colon have been damaged. Think of it as when a cut is healing and you get the white blood cells making it appear a bit weepy. I'd talk to his doctor tomorrow if possible about the black stools, our original gastro wanted us to call 911 if it ever happened to our little ones, as they can lose so much blood so quickly.
As for the spots, my daughters both have clear bumps, my eldest on her face, it does seem to be related to gluten. When she has eating gluten they were terrible now gluten-free they have mostly cleared.

Don't feel bad about giving your soon gluten, you were following medical advice. There isn't much research into gluten intolerance vs celiac disease and some doctors don't even believe gluten intolerance exists. Our ped gastro at the local hospital we now refuse to see was pretty much of the mentality of if nothing shows up in blood tests there is nothing wrong. on the other hand our ped is very much of the opinion if it makes you sick dont do it you blood is not your GI tract and will react different so if gluten makes you illmdont eat it.

Push for celiac retesting, if it is negative trial gluten free seed if it helps.

#5 shellden

shellden

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:25 PM

Have been on strict gluten free diet and pimples have disappeared as well as digestive troubles. Hard to get into dr. During office hours due to my work..again feeling like a terrible mother..but with your advice its convinced me that I'm not making symptoms up and am realizing how important it is for him to be gluten free.
I've on been on youtube all night watching vikki peteren videod and realizing there's so much more research emerging and so many of his symptoms coincide with gluten intolerance, regardless of what testing has shown

#6 jepacar

jepacar

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:14 AM

I have an 8 year old son who at 3 had a food sensitivity test showing reaction to gluten and egg. He tested negative for celiac. Was made to sound like he may outgrow it as long as removed for a good period of time, which we've done to our knowledge. Lately we allow him to have occasional treats, cupcake at school, pizza etc and didn't notice any changes. A couple weeks ago he had quite a bit of gluten and was ill on vacation with headache, gas, diarrhea and vomited once. I also noticed lots of pimply bumps on sides of face and chin. Tonight we were out and he said he thought he peed his pants but wasn't sure. Then he said he doesn't think he's feeling better yet from when he was sick on holidays. We went to a washroom and he let out small amount of clear mucousy liquid, which is what leaked into his pants..not pee.
Would these things indicate a reaction to gluten or egg or does it sound like more of a virus.
I should mention that the reason I got him tested in the first place was that he always seemed very tired, cranky, would not toilet train, and had black tarry stools, plus some skin discoloration (white patch on his hip).
I feel awful allowing gluten into his diet now that this is happening, but these don't sound like any symptoms I've come across so any input is much appreciated.
Cheers :)

As far as I know Celiac is just one part of gluten sensibility, not all gluten sensibility people are Celiac, but any gluten sensibility is as bad as Celiac. I'd avoid gluten.

#7 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:02 AM

As far as I know Celiac is just one part of gluten sensibility, not all gluten sensibility people are Celiac, but any gluten sensibility is as bad as Celiac. I'd avoid gluten.

Welcome Jepacar!

Looks like your spell corrector may need to learn the word "Sensitivity" -- lol...my kindle was inserting "Celibacy" for "Celiac" for a while before I noticed.

And yes not all those with Non Celiac Gluten Sensitivity (NSGS) are Celiac -- but there is a lot of gray area between the two.  Much research is needed in all areas of Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders including Celiac Disease.  The next decade should prove very interesting with regard to these.

Glad to have you here :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#8 jepacar

jepacar

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:20 PM

Welcome Jepacar!

Looks like your spell corrector may need to learn the word "Sensitivity" -- lol...my kindle was inserting "Celibacy" for "Celiac" for a while before I noticed.

And yes not all those with Non Celiac Gluten Sensitivity (NSGS) are Celiac -- but there is a lot of gray area between the two.  Much research is needed in all areas of Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders including Celiac Disease.  The next decade should prove very interesting with regard to these.

Glad to have you here :)

ha ha ha... I don't blame my corrector since I really thought it was sensibility lol...my dictionary says is right :( and English is my second language, so please feel free to correct me any time ;) Thanks for letting me in...

#9 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:45 PM

Dr Vikki Petersen is controversial. She is a chiropractor. Search the board for her name and you will find much discussion about her--some positive; some negative. Some posts spell her name Peterson.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: