#1 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

Hi folks,

Does anyone know if damage can come to the body by working on through the pain? Right now, I'm so angry at myself. At some point, the screw-ups have to stop. I've begun to drag myself into activity regardless of the pain. I'm really sick of being sick, talking about it and all of the setbacks that go with it. Maybe if I feel tortured, I'll learn faster how to avoid gluten. This last time was because my mom told me I should be able to eat the watermelon. Unfortunately, I had just helped her with her food and had gluten on my fingers.

I'm so over this. I know I need to just hang in there but am wondering if I will hurt my body by forcing myself to keep my commitments.

There was a time that I was happy that this was something that I could control. I'm not doing a very good job at controlling it and just want to be normal or even just APPEAR normal. In the end, I want to see progress. I want to contribute. I want to be reliable and to give to others. Nurturing myself and being kind to myself isn't cutting the mustard anymore.

Cali
Last glutening: 12/28/13 (long time FOR ME!)
April 2014: no more reintroducing foods, not rocking the boat, no studying (except during insomnia)
March 2014: Reintroducing intolerant foods. Yolks & banana are a "no". Dairy NO
Year 2: Mental clarity improving. Hello to normalcy.
October 2013: Functional Medicine doc ref to cardiologist for possible sick sinus syndrome (deadline May)
September 2013: 55+ food intolerances, mercury poisoning, sIgA 50, leaky gut, adrenal fatigue, hormone disruption, ferritin 7, low Vit D, low Vit B6
January2013: Dairy-Free, Soy-free
November 2012: Gluten-Free
Year 1: Migraines resolved, OCD diminished, Change in skin texture, EyeBrows lifting & eyes bigger, Better memory, Better cognitive function, Better problem-solving capabilities, Lower anxiety level, Better outlook, Arrhythmia reduced, hope

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:02 PM

Okay,

I just met with my grief counselor and she said it was good that I was incensed but not towards myself. Nurturing and caring for myself is back on the menu. I'm not so sure why that seems like hell right now but that's where I am so what else can I do?

This is a journey of epic proportions. I sure do wish there was a short cut.
April 2014: no more reintroducing foods, not rocking the boat, no studying (except during insomnia)
October 2013: Functional Medicine doc ref to cardiologist for possible sick sinus syndrome (deadline May)
September 2013: 55+ food intolerances, mercury poisoning, sIgA 50, leaky gut, adrenal fatigue, hormone disruption, ferritin 7, low Vit D, low Vit B6
Year 1: Migraines resolved, OCD diminished, Change in skin texture, EyeBrows lifting & eyes bigger, Better memory, Better cognitive function, Better problem-solving capabilities, Lower anxiety level, Better outlook, Arrhythmia reduced, hope

#3 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:41 PM

(((HUGS)))

I think that if you can work through the pain, you might as well. If something hurts more during an activity, then cut back... It really depends on the pain. When my arthralgias hit I can't lift my arm past my shoulder, and I was coaching basketball- it just couldn't be done.  I could coach with a migraine (couldn't understand anyone though LOL) and stomach bloat and pain is something I always ignored. It really depends on the situation.

(hugs) Hang in there.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:50 AM

Those whistles during a migraine would send me over the edge! Fortunately, my migraines have resolved after eliminating gluten. Though the gluten headache is no fun, it's not to the level of a migraine. But, my arms aren't much good, that is for sure. Or the back. The pain increases or lingers longer when I'm active but I really wanted to know if resting was absolutely necessary or if I might have a choice that has nothing to do with shortening my life. Resting is getting old & I don't know how this will play out during the course of my life but if I keep getting sick, I need another option. I've missed enough as it is. I'll have to experiment with how being active affects this. At least something got done yesterday & I'll be getting out with my mom again today. Better head in that direction.

Thanks!

Cali

#5 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:38 PM

Well, I hurt like hell but I'm still here.

Just for the record.

#6 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

Hi Cali

I think a lot of us debate the "do I stay home and wallow, or do I suck it up and go to the party" problem. I know I do, and often wonder if I'm not being too much of a wuss about it. But you know, it has to come down to what YOU want to do. If you feel its worth pushing through the pain to go do something you want to do, then do it. If you can't, or feel its a: not worth the pain it will cause you, or b: you won't be able to enjoy it/put all your effort into it because of the pain, then don't.

But like your grief councilor said, its definitely about being kind to yourself. (Un)fortunately, being kind to yourself often starts with the discipline of being super careful not to get hit in the first place. You had gluten on your fingers when you make the watermelon. Does this happen often? Maybe its time to say: no, I can't handle gluteny food, for my own good. Taking care of yourself is being kind to yourself. 

Yep, its frustrating, and discouraging, but we get through it.

Hugs

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: