7 replies to this topic

#1 MxMyownsummer

MxMyownsummer

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:32 PM

Do you remember?  Think back to the beginning of your diagnosis.  Think back to when you started changing everything, the constant mistakes, the accidental exposure, the feeling great and then feeling like crap again.  The constant headache from gluten withdrawal.  All of it is totally normal, totally expected.

And then, then.. then you start to cry.  

Did anybody go there, or am I alone?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

It is tough.  I think I would have done more crying, if I could of.  Depression is a sad sign of the things you are going through.  Realize that it isn't forever and you can keep going.

I had someone to carry me, and I am better,

D

#3 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:58 PM

Please remember that everything you eat, even though it's gluten free, will run through your body, until you heal.  When the gluten is removed, your intestines will heal. It takes time and dedication to heal.

Keep in mind that the goal is to be healthy and feel good.  And every step is working toward that. There are slow steps and we all make mistakes, because it's hard to learn everything all at once.  I had many meltdowns in the frozen asile.  I cried and then I got mad. 

I then decided, that if I wanted to regain my life, I had to learn everything I could about Celiac Disease.

I hung out here for  a while.  I learned a lot. Eight years later, I 'm still here, through many ups and downs.  There were some really cool people who held my hand as I recovered.

I live a very full, normal life.  It's within your reach. :)

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:05 PM

Do you remember? Think back to the beginning of your diagnosis. Think back to when you started changing everything, the constant mistakes, the accidental exposure, the feeling great and then feeling like crap again. The constant headache from gluten withdrawal. All of it is totally normal, totally expected.

No, we've all been there. And we all still make mistakes, years into it. And sometimes, despite doing everything right...gluten still finds you. That's life.

But getting better, and occasionally ill, beats the heck outta being sick 24/7. IMO, anyway.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#5 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:43 PM

Do you remember?  Think back to the beginning of your diagnosis.  Think back to when you started changing everything, the constant mistakes, the accidental exposure, the feeling great and then feeling like crap again.  The constant headache from gluten withdrawal.  All of it is totally normal, totally expected.

Hi MxMy,

No....no...no...you aren't alone.  I was really depressed about it, then really angry (what DID I do to  deserve this), and gradually worked it all out.   Going to the grocery store was really hard at first.  I'd end up in tears before I could check out because of shopping cart envy.  Now I look in the carts and think "Those poor sods." 

Remember, you still get to eat really good food, better than most people do.  You just have to cook and plan more.  Wish you well.

Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,743 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:09 AM

No your not alone. I was so very sick when diagnosed I couldn't imagine how I was ever going to have the energy to cook every meal. Shopping was a long and frustrating task. My DD even refused to shop with me for a while after I burst into tears in the grocery store. I made so many mistakes at first, in part because I didn't know I couldn't tolerate soy and in part because I didn't have the wealth of info and support that I found here a couple years later. The withdrawl is tough but for me one day it was like a huge and heavy blanket was suddenly lifted off me. I think that took about 2 to 3 weeks. It was easier after that withdrawl was done.

You will get through it but it is hard to be patient with your body. After diagnosis we all want to instantly be well but it does take time to heal. You will get there.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#7 VeggieGal

VeggieGal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

Oh do I remember !! Shopping in the supermarkets reading labels and saying pffft pffft pffft as I moodily felt like slamming the items back on the shelf :(

I like lots of others had no energy at first to cook or think clearly, I went through mild depression (which was probably the gluten and withdrawal).

It felt like Id never feel right...but finally 7 months later (touchwood!) I have much better days than pre-diagnosis. Im happy I can do something about my health as if it wasnt for diagnosis, I wouldnt be eating and trying new healthy things and learning about nutrition or have realised other intolerances/allergies.

It does get better .. you'll be fine :)
Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:04 AM

Oh yes, breaking into tears outside of Chipotle when I realized they weren't taking any precautions and I couldn't trust to eat safely there (my local one, I started a thread).  And then again when my mom said I was over-reacting, and don't let this be such a big deal (after I broke down, she did some research on her own and realized that this was serious stuff, not a hangnail).

What really helped me was knowing that I needed to appear strong for my kids, so that if they ever got this, they wouldn't fall apart.  And once I started finding snack foods that were really (really!) tasty and figuring out what I could and couldn't order at restaurants (and how to ask for it), it started getting better.  Now - 4 5 months in -- it rarely gets me down.

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: