4 replies to this topic

#1 LFitts

LFitts

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:31 PM

Our whole family has been traveling for the last week, and we brought most of the food with us and prepared more on the road. Even so, we found three occasions where we risked dining out, and they all worked out okay. It's the little things that get you all excited after living such a restricted lifestyle, but lemme tell you what we found.

1) A non-chain pizza place - VIP Pizza - at the Hammerhead Marina - Grand Lakes area of Oklahoma. Went in for the restroom, glanced at the menu, nothing gluten free, so I asked the manager if they had any gluten-free options. He told me that his friend has celiac and helped him develop a procedure and that they do a totally safe gluten free pizza that has never made his friend sick. I was so shocked! We came back that evening -- all 16 of us -- and at the pizza. Success! The pizza was wonderful and so were the staff members. I nearly cried I was so happy.

2) Red Robin cheeseburger and fries. Normal have kid food for a change. Love that they have an "allergen" fryer that never gets used except upon request for gluten free or whatever allergen. They have great procedures in place and my daughter has maybe never enjoyed a burger and fries that much before.  We live in a very rural area, so this was exciting for us, lol.

3) Chick-fil-a -- Can't say enough great things about the service, attention to detail, lengths they went to to reassure us that they would handle everything properly. Daughter got a regular grilled nugget kids meal with fruit and waffle fries.

I know that all of these are "junk food", but it's so nice to have some options! I've been hesitant to try restaurants, but our experiences over the last week have been wonderful. Just wanted to share!

9 year old daughter diagnosed celiac November / December 2012
Postive endoscopy / biopsy, positive antibody test, positive genetic test

She's been gluten free since diagnosis. I've been gluten free with her since Jan 2013.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Rebekka's mom

Rebekka's mom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

I feel like we keep getting different information on Red Robin. Maybe it depends on which restaurant? I haven't dared yet..

#3 Rebekka's mom

Rebekka's mom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

Ooh I also wanted to say congrats on a great trip and what sounds like no gluten accidents.

#4 LFitts

LFitts

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:58 PM

I feel like we keep getting different information on Red Robin. Maybe it depends on which restaurant? I haven't dared yet..

I'm sure it varies from location to location. I've walked out of restaurants when I felt that they wouldn't be able to handle the food to my satisfaction. We went in at an off-peak time and when the host asked if he could help us, I told him that I wasn't sure and that I had some questions about their gluten free menu and how they handle gluten free food. He pulled out the menu, went through the procedures, told me that the bun was pre-made and pre-wrapped in plastic and that they open them as needed. I don't know that they would have taken the time or paid such close attention if it was noon on Saturday or some other busy time.

9 year old daughter diagnosed celiac November / December 2012
Postive endoscopy / biopsy, positive antibody test, positive genetic test

She's been gluten free since diagnosis. I've been gluten free with her since Jan 2013.

#5 mbrookes

mbrookes

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

Like most fast food places, everything depends on the manager. A good manager can make your experience safe and satisfying; a poor manager can risk the rest of your trip. Glad you had such good experiences.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: