#1 GlutenStinks15

GlutenStinks15

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

Hello All,

My neice was recently diagnosed with Celiac (I have it too) and she's having the most trouble with lunches. She's at camp right now, and thankfully they offer some gluten free options, but when she returns to school in September that's where we're going to have a problem. She's going into 9th grade and is SUCH a picky eater. She hasn't found a gluten free bread that she likes yet.

Can you guys give me some suggestions as to what your kids do for lunch in school?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Celiac disease April 2013 -- so glad I got answers and can heal now.

Love Red Apple Lipstick!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mommy2krj

mommy2krj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:56 PM

We're in the same boat here except mine is going into 1st grade and is my least picky eater. We haven't done gluten free at school yet...and really we're not even a week into this yet.....

My little guy loves corn tortillas (thankfully!) so any sandwich type stuff he would have eaten on bread just goes into the tortillas. Beyond that he usually eats fruits and veggies or will have a homemade lunchable type of thing with gluten free lunchmeat and cheese cut up with some gluten free crackers.

There is a lunch thread in the baking and cooking tips area. I haven't had a chance to really look through it yet.

#3 GlutenStinks15

GlutenStinks15

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:17 AM

Thank you. I will mention the corn tortillas and the homemade lunchables idea. I will go take a look for the lunch thread. Much appreciated!

Love Red Apple Lipstick!

#4 kareng

kareng

Dispeller of Shady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,997 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:25 AM

http://www.celiac.co...e-1#entry721588

http://keeleymcguire...ch/label/Recipe

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5 mommy2krj

mommy2krj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:34 AM

Some day I will figure out where all the threads are and then be able to post them for people. :) Thanks kareng!

#6 GlutenStinks15

GlutenStinks15

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:37 AM

Thanks kareng! Much appreciated!!

Love Red Apple Lipstick!

#7 mommy2krj

mommy2krj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:50 AM

Thanks for those links! Those will be so incredibly helpful come school time!!! :) Or when my brain simply refuses to come up with lunch ideas like it did when I was first trying to come up with meals.

So many good ideas in there!

#8 kareng

kareng

Dispeller of Shady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,997 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:56 AM

Some day I will figure out where all the threads are and then be able to post them for people. :) Thanks kareng!

I knew I had replied to one with a lot of ideas before.  I used the google in the top right on the main forum page (if you use it from this page, it will just search this parent section).  I put my name in for poster and the word lunch and selected to look at posts.

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#9 mommy2krj

mommy2krj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:23 AM

I knew I had replied to one with a lot of ideas before.  I used the google in the top right on the main forum page (if you use it from this page, it will just search this parent section).  I put my name in for poster and the word lunch and selected to look at posts.

Good to know! Thanks! :)

#10 LFitts

LFitts

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:50 AM

I know that there are lots of great ideas on the other links, but here are a few from our house. My daughter loves some of the GoPicnic gluten free lunches -- they come in little boxes about 350 calories, mostly organic / preservative free, really healthy options. Of course her faves are the ones that are more junk-foody. The one called Turkey Stick Crunch is her favorite. It comes with a turkey jerky stick, bbq popchips, a fruit leather strip, a seed & nut mix, and a small chocolate. They're high-priced, so we just keep them on hand for food emergencies. I leave one in my office, one in the van, and some in the house, but they're not for everyday.

For every day lunches, we do ham & cheese on toothpicks (rolled up), a couple of pieces of fruit, some carrots, a yogurt, and a drink. Sometimes a bag of chips. My daughter never has liked bread, so she usually passes on the gluten free breads, but occasionally she wants to take a grilled nutella sandwich. Sounds strange, but it's delicious. Carrot sticks, celery sticks, and anything else that can be chopped small and arranged cutely in a lunch box are great. I overpack her lunch because she's always starving after school and I want her to have some options left to nibble on before we get home.

9 year old daughter diagnosed celiac November / December 2012
Postive endoscopy / biopsy, positive antibody test, positive genetic test

She's been gluten free since diagnosis. I've been gluten free with her since Jan 2013.

#11 ImaMiriam

ImaMiriam

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:04 AM

I too am wondering about school lunch. My daughter was diagnosed in April, and we've been gluten-free since May 1. She confided to me that sometimes she didn't even eat her lunch (before we went gluten-free) because her stomach hurt so much! Now we have to gain weight, which I'm not sure how to do it during school months....

Gastro recommended 5 small meals a day. We are (mostly) enjoying green smoothies for one of the small meals (snack meal that's not breakfast, lunch, or dinner). She still has stomach aches sometimes, so doesn't always want a smoothie.

During school, she finds she doesn't have much time to eat, and she is a very slow eater. I'm sure we'll figure out something. I'm going to look at the links! :-)

Me: various symptoms such as eczema throughout my life; HLA-DQ2 gene

Daughter: positive blood test and HLA-DQ2 gene; no biopsy. Gaining weight and grew taller since gluten-free; had been same weight for 2 years.

gluten-free since May 1

Most folks are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be. Abraham Lincoln

Man must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love. Martin Luther King, jr.

Humankind will not perish for want of information; but only for want of appreciation. Abraham Joshua Heschel

Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

#12 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:44 AM

Today my daughter took:

Corn on the cob

Home made bread roll with grated carrot, shredded lettuce and sliced mushrooms

Leda Mintons x 2

Banana

Apple

That does her for school, she has a big breakfast and has a sandwich in the afternoon.

Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#13 kkcg2736

kkcg2736

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:44 AM

My kids have been gluten free for several months.  Both Celiacs.  Lunch still are the hardest part for me.  Now they get Honest Kids juice pouch or yogert drink, peanut butter in a bowl, corn or potato chips, dry cereal (chex), cheese stick, piece of fruit, carrots, either gluten-free pasta or gluten-free grilled cheese.  Pasta stays well in a thermal bowl and grilled chesse I wrap in alum foil and then place in a sandwich tupperware.  I overpack as well.  We've also done homemade popcorn, mac & cheese or gluten-free biscuits.

#14 stanleymonkey

stanleymonkey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

OP, Veggies with hummus or tahini for dipping, great for weight gain. Send her with full at Greek yogurt too. Both our kid had a lot of growing to catch up on after going gluten free.

Most schools are nut free, but you can get something call sun butter it's soy nut butter tastes exactly the same, just doesn't stick to your mouth! Great for dipping apple slices in.
Homemade sushi, you can se cooked rather than raw protein.
Homemade muffins made with butter an coconut milk for extra fat, add dried fruit
Protein and a variety of at sources will help with the growth. We were told a small piece of meat at every meal an snack would help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: