4 replies to this topic

#1 seraphim

seraphim

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:50 AM

So I've had a theory i might be salicylate sensitive for a while...I had a hives reaction one time that lasted 3-4 weeks from something. I had my last period....and the hives stopped just before that started...then i had some swelling in one of my toes and a couple hives right when my period ended. I had also started eating fish and sweet potato etc. Fish supposedly high in histamine and sweet potato high in sals. Ok..so i kept eating these things and drinking coconut water etc and I've been fine for about 2 and a half weeks now. Thing is..i think i've ovulating now and i've started to get a random hive here and there. Today i had one on my upper lip..that went away and then another one formed to the left just below my mouth..that's now gone too...so far i'm not seeing anything else. I know that sals can be cumulative in the system but i was able to tolerate more than this about a month and a half ago after a long time of being off anything but low sals foods. So it seems unlikely to me that it's the salicylates..but maybe i'm wrong? The thing i'm noticing now is it seems to be when my hormones are changing possibly....The first time i got these it was just before my period. They lasted (as i said) 3-4 weeks. Ended just before my last period...had a little bit right after my period and now is right around when I ovulate. Had anyone else had anything like this before?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

In retrospect (and at the time I noticed it), my hormones were all messed up at the time my DH and celiac and thyroid was at their worst.

I suggest hormone testing, saliva and blood...and cortisol testing. I suspect you need adrenal support. I'd check thyroid, too. You may need hormone supplementation - probably progesterone.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 seraphim

seraphim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:15 PM

This is what i'm thinking. Can adrenal issues cause hives? I was going to do my saliva test tomorrow and send it off friday. I'm getting thyroid tested soon and i'm just a little worried....I hope it's not salicylates because honestly....i can't deal with the low salicylate diet..i tried it..it doesn't make me feel good body wise. I'm also getting checked for the mthfr gene defect with the blood test.

#4 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

After all these weird symptoms after all these years...I'd say "sure, why not?".

Bottom line - off is "off". If your body is off, alls fair.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#5 seraphim

seraphim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

Truth. I've heard some people with food sensitivities to sals say their symptoms were better on hydrocortisone and worse when they got off so maybe it does go back to adrenals...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: