#1 marie75

marie75

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:21 PM

Hi, 

I had a bad accidental glutening incident recently. I purchased a box of chocolate in Poland which looked safe to eat.  Stupidly, I assumed if there were gluten ingredients, that would be called out in the allergen warning. That turned out not to be the case, and I had a reaction.  My typical symptoms are usually a kidney or bladder infection, depression, anxiety, memory problems, issues with focusing and concentration. All of which I have been experiencing since I ate the chocolate. I'm not sure which ingredient is the culprit, but I'm guessing that a cheap, not fully distilled alcohol was used. Normally, I have no problems with distilled grain alcohols. Just wanted to pass my experience along and hopefully save someone else from the same mistake. I've listed the ingredients below.

-Marie

Ingredients listed as follows: sugar, corn syrup, cocoa mass, cocoa butter, alcohol, stabilizer (invertase), emulsifiers (soy lecithin, polyglycerol, polyricinoleate, and sorbitan tristearate), artificial flavors. 

Allergen warning states that it contains soy, and may contain traces of egg or milk. 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Renegade

Renegade

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:52 PM

Could be the corn syrup.

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:58 PM

That's some crappy chocolate!  Another reason to always stick with the good stuff. :)

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

Well, as Tiffany said, those ingredients are not a high quality chocolate: FIRST ingredient sugar?

But there is nothing there that would cause me a gluten worry. Alcohol is alcohol. If it were not fully distilled it could not be labeled as simply alcohol. The soy might be the problem. HFCS is usually labeled as that, not simply as "corn syrup," and I don't know what the label rules are there. But you could have a corn issue in any case.

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: