This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Campbell's Soups?

Stephanie1

Stephanie1 Newbie

I'm really new to being gluten-free, and I was wondering about Campbell's soup. Cream of Mushroom and Cream of Chicken soup both contain "modified food starch". I know that can be questionable sometimes, but does anyone know if Campbell's specifically uses wheat starch? Does anyone have a list? I love cooking with these soups, so if you know of any other namebrands that have gluten-free cream of mushroom or chicken, that would also be helpful. THanks so much!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Campbells will send you a list of their gluten free products if you request it. I have one from Jan 05 and here is what it says:

Chunky Soup: Chicken Broccoli Cheese 18.oz

Select Soup: Savory Lentil 19.0z.

Prego Pasta Sauce Traditional Sauce all sizes

Three Cheese Sauce 26oz

Mushroom 4lb 3oz

Prego Pasta Bakes Sauce 3 Cheese Marinara 27.75oz.

Tomato, Garlic, and Basil 27.75oz.

Swanson Broth

Lower Sodium Beef Broth 14oz

RTS Beef Broth 14.5oz

RTS Chicken Broth 14.5

Natural Goodness Chicken Broth all sizes

Vegetable Broth 14oz

Swanson Canned Poultry

Premium Chunk CHicken breast in water all sizes

Premium White and Dark Chunk Chicken all sizes

Mixin' Chicken 5oz

ALL campbell's tomato juice

ALL V8 Juice

ALL V8 Splash Juice Blends

ALL Diet V8 Splash Juice Blends

V8Splash SMoothies

Orange Creme all sizes

Peach Mango all sizes

Strawberry Banana all sizes

ALL Pace Red Sauces

ALL Enchilada Sauces

ALL Picante Sacues

ALL Thick and Chunky Salsa

ALL Thick and CHunky Flavored Salsas (chipotle, cilantro etc.)

Hope that helps you out.

-Jessica

PS, If you are looking for a "cream of" type of soup. Progresso makes a creamy chicken and wild rice and also a creamy mushroom. They are not condensed, but work well in recipes that call for condensed.

nettiebeads Apprentice
I'm really new to being gluten-free, and I was wondering about Campbell's soup.  Cream of Mushroom and Cream of Chicken soup both contain "modified food starch".  I know that can be questionable sometimes, but does anyone know if Campbell's specifically uses wheat starch?  Does anyone have a list? I love cooking with these soups, so if you know of any other namebrands that have gluten-free cream of mushroom or chicken, that would also be helpful. THanks so much!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My experience in reading regular Campbell soup label is that they will state wheat/wheat flour. Most of their products do contain wheat. Be very careful in reading their labels.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Stephanie1,

The gluten-free list from Campbell's is very different if you are in Canada. Mine has less on it that the list provided in an earlier post. If you are getting the list for Canadian products, phone them and they'll pop the list in the mail right away. If you go to the website, you'll never get a response.

Felidae Enthusiast

I was wondering why I never got a response from Campbells. I have had a few companies that have not responded to my e-mails. I guess I'll have to start calling. I wish the Canadian and US ingredients were the same. It would make shopping much simpler.

domineske Apprentice

I thought that Campbell's chicken and rice soup was gluten-free. Has anyone had either good or bad experiences with it?

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I eat their chicken and rice soup. I haven't had problems with it.

Actually, I think I have been having problems with this soup lately, I've e-mailed the company to see if there is any chance of contamination and I'll post their response.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

domineske Apprentice
I eat their chicken and rice soup. I haven't had problems with it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Bonnie S. Craig Newbie

I have found that making my own cream of chicken soup base is economical and good. I make it in a powdered form and then just add water and heat it in the microwave if you want it thickened or you can just add the water and put it in a dish that will be cooked and it will thicken while cooking.

2 cups non-fat powdered milk

3/4 cup cornstarch

1/4 gluten free instant chicken boullion

2 T. Dried onion

1/2 t. pepper

1 t. thyme

Combine 1/3 c. dry mi with 11/4 c. water and microwave on high for two minutes. Stir soup and continue cooking about 1-2 minutes more to desired thickness. Add cheese, celery, herbs, mushrooms etc. Very good for scalloped potatoes.

Good Luck,

Bonnie

Campbells will send you a list of their gluten free products if you request it. I have one from Jan 05 and here is what it says:

Three Cheese Sauce 26oz

Mushroom 4lb 3oz

Swanson Broth

RTS Beef Broth 14.5oz

RTS Chicken Broth 14.5

Vegetable Broth 14oz

Swanson Canned Poultry

Mixin' Chicken 5oz

ALL V8 Juice

V8Splash SMoothies

Orange Creme all sizes

Peach Mango all sizes

ALL Pace Red Sauces

ALL Enchilada Sauces

ALL Picante Sacues

Hope that helps you out.

-Jessica

PS, If you are looking for a "cream of" type of soup. Progresso makes a creamy chicken and wild rice and also a creamy mushroom. They are not condensed, but work well in recipes that call for condensed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 11 years later...
Razorbacker one Newbie
On 10/15/2005 at 8:04 AM, angel_jd1 said:

Three Cheese Sauce 26oz

Mushroom 4lb 3oz

Swanson Broth

RTS Beef Broth 14.5oz

RTS Chicken Broth 14.5

Vegetable Broth 14oz

Swanson Canned Poultry

Mixin' Chicken 5oz

ALL V8 Juice

V8Splash SMoothies

Orange Creme all sizes

Peach Mango all sizes

ALL Pace Red Sauces

ALL Enchilada Sauces

ALL Picante Sacues

Hope that helps you out.

-Jessica

Thank u so much for the list I was looking for creamed soups.  Campbell's inquiries would never give me a real answer.

Victoria1234 Experienced
2 hours ago, Razorbacker one said:

Thank u so much for the list I was looking for creamed soups.  Campbell's inquiries would never give me a real answer.

That info is 12 years old. Recipes change. Do not rely on this list.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I always called cambells the dangerous brand. lol joked about the red label being a warning. If you must know why I say this, I have 2 uncles that work at the plant in Paris Tx. I inquired into the packing lines from them and gluten contamination. The canning machines are used on rotation for lots of soups. They flush them and clean out with a kind of pressure washer apparently between runs. I was informed that if a allergen is used in one product there is a high chance of contamination of it into the next run. Hince you can not even trust the individual can ingredient labels on them for allergens. NOTE other plants and canning facilities might have dedicated machines but I know the one there does not. Look for gluten-free certified labels on stuff like that. I personally gave up on buying that kind of stuff. I make my own, also avoid the sodium bombs in that stuff. I can make a nice dairy free cream of mushroom using full fat coconut milk, and some mushrooms (when I can find safe ones ) and bring to a boil then simmer for 5-20mins depending on strength. I do this in large batches and then pour straight into mason jars and can it. Stuff keeps in the fridge in a sealed can for months.   You can do the same with chicken, celery, etc.     There is also a sweetened condensed coconut milk version for condensed milk alternatives that goes great in deserts, really try using a bit in place of heavy cream in deserts or adding a bit to various recipes for richness.       

I also suggest making your own canned soups. I do it in a huge stock pot or do crock pot versions. I load them into the 2 cup wide mouth mason jars for canned soup on the go. Just take it out, remove the lid, zap it and dig in with a spoon out of the jar. Doing this lets you control ingredients and sodium. I like to use kelp noodles or miracle noodles in these soups, try them with a broth and coconut milk base, add in curry paste for asian/indian soup. I love doing it with taco seasonings and diced tomatoes for Mexican themed one, you can add beans, rice, corn to this if you wish for a southwestern taco soup (I miss this myself). Beef broth, meat, beans, chili seasoning for beef soup, you can do beef stew with beef, carrots, potatoes, beef broth, cumin, and a bit of a starchy flour like potato flour for a thick and hearty one.  All kinds of soups can be made and canned,

Archived