or

2) Clan Thompson's internet product guide

??

Thanks

D
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 terri

terri

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 05:23 AM

I have seen them both. One is a 3 ring binder that is heavy and must be replaced each year as products change suppliers, the other is a lightweight palm program that is constantly checked and rechecked and updated and fits in your purse when you go grocery shopping. I have the palm. It's great! It even includes some restaurants and safe choices to order. I take it everywhere. It's money well spent. :)
Terri
Northern Virginia

gluten-free since March 27, 2004

#3 ILOVEOMC

ILOVEOMC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 06:58 AM

Are both of these products for those living in the USA?

#4 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 02:05 AM

Isn't the Clan Thompson guide updated either monthly or quarterly? I don't have a Palm Pilot, so I'd have to utilize it in my home computer.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#5 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 04:45 AM

i love the clan thompson. it is updated a few times a year. i do use it in my palm and it has helped me out in the store many times. having it at home on the pc would work well too--you could just look up specific things before you went shopping.
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#6 domineske

domineske

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 09:23 AM

Have you also seen the Delphi list? (http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac)

Besides the book vs. palm issue, the CSA Product Guide seems to me to be very conservative. There are quite a few items that are listed in the Delphi list or the Clan Thompson list which are not listed in the CSA list. I believe the CSA organization is very strict about cross-contamination and will always err on the side of excluding a product. (For example, neither Cocoa or Fruity Pebbles is listed although it seems a lot of people with Celiac eat them.)

#7 terri

terri

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 09:53 AM

The Clan Thompson is for the states only, not Canada. Sorry!
Terri
Northern Virginia

gluten-free since March 27, 2004

#8 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 01:27 PM

I would go with Delphi first, hands down, even if it cost something. It's the best list I've found. If you're going to buy one of those two, though, I'd probably go with the Clan Thompson (#2).

#9 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 01:39 PM

I have the CSA Product book and it is great for starters. I reference it when I go to the grocery store. It helps me memorize brand names and I usually buy two of each that I know is safe ....it helps me imprint my brain.

I have dropped some hints about a palm pilot for my upcomming birthday (along with it I want a personal technician to show me how to work it). I will get some help to down load the Delfi List.

I will be 51 shortly and I still remember when TV was black and white....a palm pilot would be from another world. :). Isn't it odd that 51 does not seem so old, but black and white TV REALLY does. Wow, maybe I AM REALLY old.

Lisa B.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: