Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

This Chick Bakes Cookies

1 post in this topic

I have to recommend This Chick Bakes cookies.  They just started selling them at my local deli.  Some are labeled Gluten Free and some are not, so I was wary of cross contamination concerns. 

I e-mailed the company and got this back from one of the owners:

Thanks for taking the time to write to us.  And no, we are definitely

> not a certified gluten-free facility, so I like to tell people who are

> seriously celiac, it's not worth the risk.  I have to say that

> legally.  Now, that said, we are EXTREMELY careful in the gluten-free prep: gluten-free

> prep only happens first thing in the AM before any "regular" items are

> made and the kitchen is still completely de-floured.  Everything is

> kept separately, scooped separately, and stored covered, etc.  I

> understand how critical it can be for someone as I have wheat allergy

> myself and I'm in here breathing flour all afternoon long and that's

> bad enough. My floor manager and one of the key bakers came to me

> directly from a certified gluten-free bakery so they are hyper sensitive to

> procedure as well.  And honestly I have to say, we sell thousands of

> gluten-free products a week and I have never once received a complaint. (yes, I

> just knocked on wood

I think they may be largely in the NY metro area, but you can buy online at thischickbakes.com.  I had the cranberry white chocolate something or other and it was delicious.

Just wanted to put it out there - probably not for the super sensitive, but maybe for the rest of us!

Ads by Google:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Hey guys, the last year and a month of transitioning to totally gluten free was hard, but I now seem to be healthy. The first six months I got horrible cramps that would suddenly come and hit hard, but I really havent seen any of those since about February-March. One thing that I wouldnt say has gotten better is my psyche. I was always sort of an anxious person (hard not to be when you dont feel well yet you have "IBS" and you're just "nervous", which all of you probably know), but I am borderline hermit now. I finally went to the doctor today and was prescribed prozac, so hopefully that helps, but I was just wondering about you guys? Thanks  
    • Thank-you, thank-you! I am so relieved to have input from others who have experience with celiac disease. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the school cafeteria. I'll ask our very nice and experienced Cafe Mgr for realistic info and details. My primary concern is the safety of my daughter and packing a lunch will not be that big a deal, even though she prefers the fresh prep instead of lunchbox offerings. Sigh. It sounds as if the 504 is unquestionably the preference over the IHCP, since the 504 is binding and follows the student through his/her academic career. I have a meeting with the admin team on Tuesday. Until then, I'm reading lots so i can be informed. And, dkader, I sent you a private message via the blog's feature. I'd certainly love to read the 504 info you have squirreled away. Thank-you so much!
    • The risk of a non-celiac getting intestinal lymphoma is extremely tiny.  The risk of someone with refractory celiac disease is higher (I think maybe double?) but 2 x extremely tiny is still extremely tiny, and an elevated antibody level is not enough to say you have the refractory version.  You could have a repeat endoscopy to look for damage.  Are you still having symptoms?
    • Hello... i got dignoised July 11th... since then I found out I can't handle corn, garlic or dairy.... her stomic might be extra sensitive right now.... im not a doc but I have noticed with out those three foods I have felt better but I belive I might have to cut out more  good luck with you child!!! Its hard
    • About the dairy...I have been giving her lactose free milk and she doesn't have much else for dairy. I am lactose intolerant and I get nausea right away and then get diarrhea later. My daughter doesn't seem to have the same type of reaction I do, so I don't think it's that. For those that are lactose intolerant, were you sick right after eating lactose, or did it take a few hours or days?
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    JLeigh