This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do I Have Celiac?

Herreralovv

Herreralovv Rookie

Okay so after i had my baby-boy with c section i was breast feeding and making alot of milk. But then suddenly i wasnt making milk and starting loosing weight. At first i didnt pay no mind i just thought it was because i was breastfeeding, so i stopped. Then after i stopped, i continued to loose weight , and i didnt know why because i was eating alot like always. Over time i continued to get symptoms, which were:

Constipation

Weight loss

Thrush

Gurgling stomach noises

Bloating

Tired

Sleepy during the day

Difficulty falling asleep

Headaches

Hungry all the time

Mood swings

Blurry vision

Leg pain

So i went to doctor but i dont have insurance so i was paying. He suspected celiac. But need to pay 2000 for biopsy. J went on gluten free diet. And i dint feel better right away but i did feel better in couple weeks on going gluten free. I havent gained weight yet, but i havent loose weight either, maybe because i keep eating gluten accidently. When i do eat gluten by mistake i just gets a few symptoms but not bad like before, and some times i get it to the next day. People please tell me if u think i could have this.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

You could have celiac disease or non-celiac gluten sensitivity (NCGS - it has the same symptoms as celiac disease but no villi damage). There are over 300 symptoms and associated problems, and your ymptoms fit in there. Many of your symptoms fit Hashimoto's thyroiditis too, with a swingbetween hyper and hypo symptoms (but I'm not a doctor - just thinking out loud).

The only way to know if it is celiac disease is to test. Could you do the blood tests instead if you want to know? The cost would be less.

dani nero Community Regular

If accidents are happening, or if you haven't taken any safety measures to prevent your food from gluten cross-contamination, then I'm afraid that your diet has not truly been gluten-free. Being on a gluten-free diet means that your food needs to be free from even the tiniest crumb. Please read this post https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/ which will help you understand contamination prevention methods and other things. 

By the way, if you're planning on doing any tests later, then you should not go on a gluten-free diet yet, because all tests will come back negative if you're already gluten-free. 

Herreralovv Rookie

Doctors did test for liver enzymes, and checked my thyoid and it was fine. And also i was doing the gluten diet as changing the utensils. Not using the same griddle i use to make my husband and kid food. But when i go out i always get sick and tired. Like when i tryed the gluten free pizza from dominos, i forgot all about telling them to change the pan to a clean pan.

Lisa Mentor

Pregancy can be a trigger for those who may be predisposed to Celiac.   Do  you have a family history (parents or other family members) of digestive issues, diabetes, thyroid or other autoimmune disorders?  Sometime, as my parents would say "a bad stomach" could be a genetic trait you may have inherited.

As mentioned, the Celiac Blood Panel would be less expensive than a colonoscopy/biopsy, but you must remain on a gluten free diet for the optimun accuracy.

The following are the celiac specific blood tests:

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA
Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG
Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA
Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA
Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and IgG
Total Serum IgA

Or, you may choose to go TOTALLY gluten free and see how you feel.

Hope this helps. :) And Welcome!

Doctors did test for liver enzymes, and checked my thyoid and it was fine. And also i was doing the gluten diet as changing the utensils. Not using the same griddle i use to make my husband and kid food. But when i go out i always get sick and tired. Like when i tryed the gluten free pizza from dominos, i forgot all about telling them to change the pan to a clean pan.

It's gonna be a tough learning curve in the beginning but will become like second nature as time passes. If I'm about to eat at a restaurant, I first ask them about how they go about preventing cross-contamination. If they don't know what I mean, or tell me that they simply wash the pans that were used to prepare glutinous foods very well, I don't eat there. 

Herreralovv Rookie

From what i know. No one in my family has no kind of diseases. But my mom a while back had gastritis. But she avoided spicy and greasy food, and she got better. But my sister has also been having digestive problems. The doctors tell her she has gastritis, and shes been takeing medicine but hasnt got better. So until i know for sure that i have celiac. I will tell her to test for that. And thanks i will inform my doctor about the blood test. I know, its kinda hard to adapt. But now with my husband supporting me and making sure i dont eat gluten, its gottn easier with your loved ones supporting u.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Herreralovv Rookie

Okay but now i just have one question. If i would have gluten sensisity, would i have to worry about cross contamination. Because from what i read, gluten sensitivity isnt as bad as celiac.

It's really up to you to find out the amount of gluten you react to. We can't figure it out for you because we can't feel what you feel after consuming cross-contaminated food.

The blood test should help you answer that question.

Archived