10 replies to this topic

#1 come dance with me

come dance with me

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

So I was just handed a note by my daughter who forgot to give it to me yesterday.  On Thursday, her class will be having a class party that they won because they have a high percentage of children eating healthy food for breakfast.  Makes no sense to me, the kids are eating well so we'll give them junk?  Anyway, each child needs to bring in a plate of food to share.  I hate these parties.  Even before I knew she was coeliac, we're vegan, so the class parties involving Happy Meals and pizza were never any fun. 

I'm thinking of taking a fruit salad, but being winter the fruit that's in season isn't too good, not many options like in summer. 

Any suggestions?  Oh, I'm getting my hair done this morning then going to the GP this afternoon then picking my daughter up from school and going swimming then to taekwondo, tomorrow I'm leaving town and will be back at 4.15 then have netball at 5.30 so I'm pretty time-poor as well.  Or maybe she can have Thursday off? Just kidding about that last part :D

Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

I love those days too (not).

My son is nut allergic, so different but similar. I tend to send him in with a lucnh box of things for him to eat, which I know are safe, and try to make it similar to what others migh have, so sandwich, chips, cupcake, fruit etc, and also send something for the class to share (but put his portion in the lunchbox already, because of cc etc). Great chance to educate people on the joy of a good gluten-free cake?

This way he doesn't feel left out. TBH I probably give him more 'treats' for something like this than I usually would so he feels included, but I know he eats helthily the rest of the time.

Hope it all goes well (especially the hair B) )

- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#3 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,419 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:47 PM

Are there good veggies that are in season? A party doesn't have to mean all junk. Maybe a veggie tray with a healthy-ish dip. And of course, as was pointed out, send your daughter with her lunch completely packed, and a treat so she feels like she isn't missing anything. Or you could just say screw it and buy a bag of chips to send. :lol:

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

I bought chips for my daughters last picnic :P . No shame in that :lol:

- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#5 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

Yes there are veggies, but at her new school I do wonder how many would know what celery is.  Culture shock.

Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#6 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,419 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

Yes there are veggies, but at her new school I do wonder how many would know what celery is.  Culture shock.

omg I can't believe I didn't think of this before, but if the school isn't doing that whole "zomg the world has to be nut free blah blah blah" crap you could do ants on a log. Far more appealing than just veggies. I'll still get 1/4 of the way through a jar of peanut butter with my celery and then be like omg what happened? :ph34r: Plus the celery will be less like a UFO covered in nut butter and fruit. :P

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#7 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:17 PM

As someone with a son with a nut allergy, I'd seriously think before taking nuts, Anapylaxis is no fun for anybody....

#8 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,419 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:52 PM

As someone with a son with a nut allergy, I'd seriously think before taking nuts, Anapylaxis is no fun for anybody....

Schools generally have a policy in place for either the classroom or the whole school if they have a child with a problem. If parents haven't been notified it shouldn't be a problem.

ETA: sometimes it is also just a specific nut, which means you could just use a different nut butter.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#9 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,220 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:41 PM

Apple butter or seed butter :D
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:07 PM

There are no known nut allergy children at the school (70 children over 8 year levels, not a big school) but I'm still funny about nuts in environments like that.

#11 AlwaysLearning

AlwaysLearning

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

Too late for the deadline, but how about a cold rice salad?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: