Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

School Is Having A "take A Plate" Day

11 posts in this topic

So I was just handed a note by my daughter who forgot to give it to me yesterday.  On Thursday, her class will be having a class party that they won because they have a high percentage of children eating healthy food for breakfast.  Makes no sense to me, the kids are eating well so we'll give them junk?  Anyway, each child needs to bring in a plate of food to share.  I hate these parties.  Even before I knew she was coeliac, we're vegan, so the class parties involving Happy Meals and pizza were never any fun. 

I'm thinking of taking a fruit salad, but being winter the fruit that's in season isn't too good, not many options like in summer. 

Any suggestions?  Oh, I'm getting my hair done this morning then going to the GP this afternoon then picking my daughter up from school and going swimming then to taekwondo, tomorrow I'm leaving town and will be back at 4.15 then have netball at 5.30 so I'm pretty time-poor as well.  Or maybe she can have Thursday off? Just kidding about that last part :D

Ads by Google:

I love those days too (not).

My son is nut allergic, so different but similar. I tend to send him in with a lucnh box of things for him to eat, which I know are safe, and try to make it similar to what others migh have, so sandwich, chips, cupcake, fruit etc, and also send something for the class to share (but put his portion in the lunchbox already, because of cc etc). Great chance to educate people on the joy of a good gluten-free cake?

This way he doesn't feel left out. TBH I probably give him more 'treats' for something like this than I usually would so he feels included, but I know he eats helthily the rest of the time.

Hope it all goes well (especially the hair B) )

Are there good veggies that are in season? A party doesn't have to mean all junk. Maybe a veggie tray with a healthy-ish dip. And of course, as was pointed out, send your daughter with her lunch completely packed, and a treat so she feels like she isn't missing anything. Or you could just say screw it and buy a bag of chips to send. :lol:

I bought chips for my daughters last picnic :P . No shame in that :lol:

Yes there are veggies, but at her new school I do wonder how many would know what celery is.  Culture shock.

Yes there are veggies, but at her new school I do wonder how many would know what celery is.  Culture shock.

omg I can't believe I didn't think of this before, but if the school isn't doing that whole "zomg the world has to be nut free blah blah blah" crap you could do ants on a log. Far more appealing than just veggies. I'll still get 1/4 of the way through a jar of peanut butter with my celery and then be like omg what happened? :ph34r: Plus the celery will be less like a UFO covered in nut butter and fruit. :P

As someone with a son with a nut allergy, I'd seriously think before taking nuts, Anapylaxis is no fun for anybody....

As someone with a son with a nut allergy, I'd seriously think before taking nuts, Anapylaxis is no fun for anybody....

Schools generally have a policy in place for either the classroom or the whole school if they have a child with a problem. If parents haven't been notified it shouldn't be a problem.

ETA: sometimes it is also just a specific nut, which means you could just use a different nut butter.

Apple butter or seed butter :D

There are no known nut allergy children at the school (70 children over 8 year levels, not a big school) but I'm still funny about nuts in environments like that.

Too late for the deadline, but how about a cold rice salad?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• I'm actually scared to go to the doctor and could use some advice
      Hi Elle......do you think you would have better luck obtaining a full Celiac panel from your GP or a gastro doc?  You really need to be tested for Celiac because of all your symptoms.  Many other people probably thought they were dying of some horrible disease because they had so many symptoms that docs ignored.  Very common problem for us.  Plus, your Mom has had "IBS" all her life.  I should add that IBS is not a diagnosis.  No one needs to be told their bowel is irritated......they already know that.  This is where the medical establishment, no matter where you live in this world, fail us.  They need to find the root cause and there always is one.  You also do not need to have any gastro issues to be a Celiac but you do have some, along with all your symptoms mentioned.  Anxiety is a huge problem with Celiac Disease and for many, it goes away just fine on the gluten-free diet, without need of meds...which should always be a last resort measure.  I have never had an anxiety problem in my entire life until after I was diagnosed with Celiac.  I may have had it but with all the other numerous symptoms I had, the anxiety may have gotten buried somewhere.  But guess what? On the extremely rare occasion when I am glutened or cc'd, I get major anxiety for about 4 days and then its gone. B12 is a water soluble vitamin so whatever you don't use, it exits the body in your urine.  It is pretty damn hard to overdose on the stuff.  I take a B vitamin everyday, very high quality ones and my B12 is usually in the high 600 range.  Optimally, it should be between 650-800 so yours was abysmal pre-supplementation.  Absorption can also be affected by PPI's.  You did notice improvement with the tingling sensation and fatigue once your levels were way up so take notice of that. My biggest advice is to get your mother and you tested for celiac, with a FULL PANEL. Then you'll have to wait and see what that shows. You could always trial a gluten-free diet if all testing is complete and the results were either negative or inconclusive. That sometimes happens with people, especially if they have Celiac's other cousin......non-celiac gluten intolerance.  This would be the best route to go with regards to your anxiety, unless it becomes disabling and you need meds, short term. Make sure you tell them that anxiety is a HUGE symptom of Celiac and it is not normal for younger people to have extreme anxiety like that, for no reason. Good luck to you and please call and make the appointment. I understand your fear....I hate doctors and it's pure mistrust. But sometimes you have to address a problem head on.    
    • newbie diagnosed mom - testing 8 yr old now
      good to know. I am not going for a biopsy. I do not have health insurance, i know i know please no political comments. My children do. My husband and I don't right now. If we lived in another state, we would have coverage. I just made an appt to do a full blood panel for my daughter this week. I would rather find some confirmation for her through a blood test, i feel a scope is too invasive for a child. 
    • Did Jennifer Esposito Leave Town Amid $43 Million Gluten-Free Bakery Lawsuit?
      With a major lawsuit pending, recent reports put the former "Blue Bloods" star in Denmark. View the full article
    • I'm actually scared to go to the doctor and could use some advice
      Well, if I were you, I would go see your doctor and talk to him/her about all this.  Tell your doctor about your anxiety. When I finally did, my doctor prescribed a low dose of an anti-anxiety med and it has made a world of difference in my life.   About the whole thing with the B12 and the weird symptoms . Keep taking the B12 in the meantime to see if that helps again. But talk about it anyway.  If you want a celiac test, ask for the panel to be done. Your doctor may or may not want to send you to a GI for that. Remind him your mom is being tested. You do not have to wait for her results.  Work with your doctor if possible and if not, maybe find a doctor you can work with. If all you end up needing is b12, that's a good thing. If you end up needing more help, starting with your doctor and a heart to heart Talk will have you going in the right direction.
    • gluten free, oat free, egg free breakfast ideas needed for 6 year old
      If she misses the hot cereal then try quinoa or amaranth as an alternative to oatmeal
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Jmg  »  admin

Hello Admin!
      I don't know whether this is of interest to post on your articles feed:
      http://pratt.duke.edu/about/news/window-guts-brain
      Kind Regards,
      Matt
      · 2 replies
    • celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Timea