52 replies to this topic

#1 notme!

notme!

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

once again, i am considering getting one.  my husband thinks i should, because of all the fad dieters and he is worried someone won't take my health issue seriously.  my son is t1 diabetic and is telling me not to be a hypocrite <because i wanted HIM to have one - lolz - he got a giant tattoo on his chest of the medic-alert symbol)  has anyone gotten one?  i am *constantly* explaining that i am not dieting to 'cleanse' or lose weight :huh:  or any other reason.  maybe it would be easier to just point to the bracelet....?  i dunno.  i'm in this for the long haul, might as well own it.  it would shut up some people (that might be worth it right there)  <_<   what do y'all think?

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:03 PM

I don't have a medical bracelet, but I run/cycle wearing a Road ID.  There's room for a medical statement besides the typical phone numbers. 

I'd get the bracelet to support your son! 

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

#3 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

I have a medical alert bracelet for my diabetes.  My cell phone (which I am almost  ashamed to say ) is most always with me has my emergency contact information in it.
I live in a very small town and the local hosp has my information ( celiac, hashimotos ,diabetes ect...) on file ( numerous  ER visits will do that lol) as does my local pharmacy.

I  do like the road ID idea 

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#4 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:26 PM

road ID?  do tell!  is it a bracelet or card?  i used to print tiny cards to fit into my kids' shoes with all their contact info, etc. when they were little - something like that?   i'm not much of a runner unless someone is chasing me  ;)

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#5 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:45 PM

I've considered one but because of my ever changing health issues and the number of problems, I've considered one of those digital ones. I've also considered just getting a med-alert bracelet tattoo because I hate hate hate jewelry. My husband is positively horrified by this idea, even though celiac is, without a doubt, for life. I know they have those med-alert phone apps, but my phone just doesn't have room on it for that. (I may have deleted it to get a coupon app. :ph34r: A girl has to have priorities!)

At any rate, I think they are a generally good idea and think I should have one. I just haven't gotten around to deciding on what route to go. At the rate I'm going I'll be 50 before I get one. :lol:

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#6 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:05 PM

My problem with a bracelet is it would have to be 14K! Maby white gold :D ,  I am allergic to silver aka nickel cheap jewelry. even hypo allergenic jewelry. but really if you feel you need one. Then by all means get one!!

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#7 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:12 AM

I think unless your Celiac incapacitates you and you would be unable to offer up medical information, it is overkill. Medic alert isn't a "prove it" metal. It's to alert people to a medical condition.  A T1 diabetic can go into shock and not be able to pass on info. A person with an allergy, same thing.  Those are conditions that warrant people knowing what's up if they are found passed out in the hall/street.

#8 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:23 AM

road ID?  do tell!  is it a bracelet or card?  i used to print tiny cards to fit into my kids' shoes with all their contact info, etc. when they were little - something like that?   i'm not much of a runner unless someone is chasing me   ;)

Check out roadid.com.  I'm not trying to promote this company, but there are lots of nice bracelets, shoe tags, etc. for athletes.  Who wants to run with your wallet or even your cell?  Plus, I had a friend who crashed on his bike.  We were able to contact his wife ASAP while calling 911.  Moms in my MOMS Club wear their Road ID while at the park with the kids.  It's terrific.

I even have one for my daughter when she goes camping with the Girl Scouts.

Anemia -- Resolved
Diabetes -- January 2014

#9 captaincrab55

captaincrab55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:32 AM

I think unless your Celiac incapacitates you and you would be unable to offer up medical information, it is overkill. Medic alert isn't a "prove it" metal. It's to alert people to a medical condition.  A T1 diabetic can go into shock and not be able to pass on info. A person with an allergy, same thing.  Those are conditions that warrant people knowing what's up if they are found passed out in the hall/street.

Being unconscious from any of many reasons could bring one to a Hospital without your records.    In my case, Iodine could also set off my DH.     I wouldn't want to come to with a cast or bandaged area itching.    

I gave thought to the Tattoo, but I can't get a clear answer if the ink is Gluten & Iodine Free.     

On another note,  I was doing some construction at a Jewish Nursing Home and my Tool Buddy was told to cover his Tattoos or leave.      Just seemed so wrong to me, since they were of a harmless nature to any group.

I'm a New Man Without GLUTEN!

#10 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:17 AM

Being unconscious from any of many reasons could bring one to a Hospital without your records.    In my case, Iodine could also set off my DH.     I wouldn't want to come to with a cast or bandaged area itching.    

I gave thought to the Tattoo, but I can't get a clear answer if the ink is Gluten & Iodine Free.     

On another note,  I was doing some construction at a Jewish Nursing Home and my Tool Buddy was told to cover his Tattoos or leave.      Just seemed so wrong to me, since they were of a harmless nature to any group.

About the tattoo thing.....this is something I will never understand with people.  I would NEVER get a tattoo but have no issue if someone does. Everyone has the right to do what they want with their body but I must tell you, tattoo's are not professional at all.  If you have a great job and want to look professional and have a tattoo that might show, I would agree to cover it up. You don't see judges or doctors or engineers sporting a tattoo on the job and this might just be that this mindset seems anal retentive to the tattoo crowd, but it isn't.  You are not going to be taken seriously in many jobs if you walk around with a tattoo hanging out.  Some employers will not mind but many would.  People have gotten this attitude lately that they can do whatever they want with no consequences but real life is not like that and once you do something like this, there's no turning back.  My nephew has a good job, I love him dearly but he is a walking tattoo on his chest and arms.  I think it looks horrible but he covers them up for his job....he gets it. I have never told him I hate tattoo's because I love him too much.

The other issue is that, and this is delicate, is that it was a Jewish Nursing Home.  Jews were tattooed during the war by the Nazi scum and they may take offense at seeing them on someone who does this by choice.  People in nursing homes today might be old enough to have lived through the war.  That is huge. I have many Jewish friends and they would never, ever think of getting a tattoo.  They feel it defiles the body.  That thought may not be prevalent amoung all Jews but for many, it is.

I agree with Stephanie regarding an ID bracelet. Being unconscious, as a Celiac, would not cause a problem.  Remember, the government, if you in the US, has now gone and forced doctors to do medical records electronically.  Anyone in the medical field, giving treatment to a patient, has access to your medical records.   As long as your problem with iodine is in there, they will know.  If you are unconscious, they will not be giving you anything by mouth to cause a reaction and an IV poses no threat.

#11 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:23 AM

right - and that was my point of view, too - if i'm passed out, probably the least of my worries is someone trying to feed me cake.  husband and son (ok my daughters too) was that everybody's on the gluten-free diet, many not for medical reasons.  i have been more adventurous lately with trying to eat out safely but it seems people offering gluten-free options on the menu are still unconcerned with cc UNLESS i stress (sometimes over and over) that i can't have ANY gluten.  not even touching it, blah blah blah.  plus, nobody remembers i can't eat (whatever - and these are people i have known for years) so maybe a visual reminder would save me some hours of repeating myself.  repeating myself.  repeating myself.  i can just point to the bracelet........... 

and, also right - any yahoo can purchase one to have it say anything i suppose.  maybe i will get it to say 'homocidal maniac' as well as 'celiac' just to see if anybody notices lolz (as she wakes up in the mental ward..................... ok.  maybe not. )   :huh:  

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#12 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:30 AM

gem - i am tatt-free as well - i tell the tatters:  i'm a rebel ;)  who *doesn't* get a tatt?  this girl, that's who.  my two oldest daughters are lousy with them - i was so pissed :(  but it's not worth it.  they do what they do.  i just hope st. peter recognizes them  :blink:

the oldest is a crew chief on an f-22 in the usaf, and she has to have hers done where her uniform will cover them..........  so, no tatts on her face LOLZ  just kidding!  :D

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

#13 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:50 AM

About the tattoo thing.....this is something I will never understand with people.  I would NEVER get a tattoo but have no issue if someone does. Everyone has the right to do what they want with their body but I must tell you, tattoo's are not professional at all.  If you have a great job and want to look professional and have a tattoo that might show, I would agree to cover it up. You don't see judges or doctors or engineers sporting a tattoo on the job and this might just be that this mindset seems anal retentive to the tattoo crowd, but it isn't.  You are not going to be taken seriously in many jobs if you walk around with a tattoo hanging out.  Some employers will not mind but many would.  People have gotten this attitude lately that they can do whatever they want with no consequences but real life is not like that and once you do something like this, there's no turning back.  My nephew has a good job, I love him dearly but he is a walking tattoo on his chest and arms.  I think it looks horrible but he covers them up for his job....he gets it. I have never told him I hate tattoo's because I love him too much.

The other issue is that, and this is delicate, is that it was a Jewish Nursing Home.  Jews were tattooed during the war by the Nazi scum and they may take offense at seeing them on someone who does this by choice.  People in nursing homes today might be old enough to have lived through the war.  That is huge. I have many Jewish friends and they would never, ever think of getting a tattoo.  They feel it defiles the body.  That thought may not be prevalent amoung all Jews but for many, it is.

I agree with Stephanie regarding an ID bracelet. Being unconscious, as a Celiac, would not cause a problem.  Remember, the government, if you in the US, has now gone and forced doctors to do medical records electronically.  Anyone in the medical field, giving treatment to a patient, has access to your medical records.   As long as your problem with iodine is in there, they will know.  If you are unconscious, they will not be giving you anything by mouth to cause a reaction and an IV poses no threat.

I'd have to disagree about the electronic records.  I was just hospitalized and even though my doctors are affiliated with the hospital and are right across the street, the hospital did not have access to my medical records.   I've also been hospitalized outside of my state and they didn't have access to my records.  Plus, when I did tell them my allergies, they proceeded to give me the things that could kill me!  Luckily, I was able to question them and stop them!  Nurses and doctors make mistakes on charts all the time. 

Don't go into the hospital without a cell phone, laptop/smart phone, etc!  Question every procedure and weight out the risks and benefits of the drugs/procedures they give you.

Granted, a medical bracelet is not necessary for celiac disease, but I think NotMe was also just trying to support her son who has type 1 Diabetes.  If it makes you feel better (even if it's just a placebo), go for it! 

Anemia -- Resolved
Diabetes -- January 2014

#14 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:12 AM

nobody remembers i can't eat (whatever - and these are people i have known for years) so maybe a visual reminder would save me some hours of repeating myself.  repeating myself.  repeating myself.  i can just point to the bracelet........... 

I think you would be better off getting Diners cards made up for that. Pointing to a bracelet at a restaurant isn't going to explain anything  to them. Telling them over and over and stressing the x-con thing is required.   

My child does have a medic alert. NO ONE at a restaurant has ever taken notice of it. Never asked about it. Never said a word.  It is ME telling them over and over what the issue is that makes him safe. 

#15 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:21 AM

Granted, a medical bracelet is not necessary for celiac disease, but I think NotMe was also just trying to support her son who has type 1 Diabetes.  If it makes you feel better (even if it's just a placebo), go for it! 

i sure think it would make everybody shut up lolz  :D  "oh, *I* have to get a medic-alert but *you* don't, hmmmmm?  mother?"   <_<

My child does have a medic alert. NO ONE at a restaurant has ever taken notice of it. Never asked about it. Never said a word.  It is ME telling them over and over what the issue is that makes him safe. 

that is disappointing :(  especially with a kid, you would expect people to pay extra attention.

arlene

gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: