This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Medic-Alert Bracelet

notme

notme Experienced

there one i found online called a 'no-nonsense' - stainless steel (advertised as waterproof.  what?.....) it looks pretty indestructible and it's like 50 bucks plus engraving.  i only need one line, lolz, so i'm open for suggestions on the second line  :lol:

If your husband really thinks you need one, there must be a nice Medi-Alert bracelet out there with some diamonds for bling.  Now THAT would be worth wearing!   ;)

diamonds & me don't mix - we part ways pretty quick as i am not easy on my jewelry.  my 'good' jewelry stays locked up - the only reason my wedding band survived all these years (and i have had it repaired several times b/c it's hand-braided gold) is because the jewels are totally FLAT in the setting!  if they sold 'macgyver' id bracelets, or 'swiss army' ones, i'm your girl.  you never know when timmy's gonna be down the well .............maybe something with a built in flare-gun............ ^_^

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pegleg84 Collaborator

I'm always a little nervous that something's going to happen and I'll end up at the hospital and disaster will follow. I've written emergency contact info in my dayplanner which is always in my purse, and I figure if anyone looks as my phone they'll know to contact my boyfriend, but living away from family in a big city is always a small worry that I'll end up in some emergency room and no one will be able to fine me.

As for the gluten, that would be the least of my problems in such a situation. If I'm unconscious, they probably can't feed me anything orally anyway. If I'm awake the first thing would be "No Gluten! or soy!"

Canadian medical records are still pretty messed up. It depends on the province, and the hospital, etc etc. Ontario has been working on a system for years (lots of $$, little result). The clinic where I see my family doctor has electronic records, which has come in handy. If I have to go to outpatients, for example (non-emergency clinic), they can see my records, and my doctor can see it later. I do whatever I can at the clinic just so we can keep track of it all. However, if I go to another hospital or end up in emergency, I have to give a whole new history that they keep for their records instead. Unless they can speak to my family doctor, they might missed important stuff that even I don't know, and vice versa. And this city has a lot of hospitals.

In any case, if there are dangerous/severe symptoms if you ingest gluten, then having a bracelet or some clear indicator might be a good idea. I think some Celiacs have just gotten a "gluten-free" symbol tattoed. (I'm far too much of a wimp to get a tat, and would never be able to commit to a design. However, considering how beautiful some tattoo art is today, it's a shame its still stigmatized in some workplaces.)

Anyway, my two cents (er, 5 cents. We don't have pennies up here anymore) worth. Clear information or not, we still have to repeat ourselves a million times.

cahill Collaborator

I think the issue would revolve around being in an emergency situation and taken to the hospital.  That's where the need to access your medical records would be used.  Everything is going to be centralized so access would supposedly be quick and they could get the information needed. I am assuming that most people with severe allergies and intolerances would make sure that information is in there and it would be, if you visit a doctor for these issues.  Ditto for any meds you would be taking.  But those with severe anaplylactic problems would need a Medi-Alert bracelet and so do diabetics.

Today was an example how easy it is for doc's to excess information .

I had abdominal surgery( ventral  hernia ) 5 weeks ago

I saw my PCP Monday, he ordered several blood test and  an abdominal X ray because I was having pain that IMHO was not related to my recent surgery .  Diagnoses  was diverticulitis .

Today ( Wednesday ) I saw my surgeon ( to be released back to work) I told the nurse about Monday , she was able  to pull up the test results and the xray  from two days ago ( that a different doc/ medical practice ordered )for my surgeon to see. It took her just moments to have the information.

On some level this makes me uncomfortable but in an emergency situation where I can not talk I am ok with them being able to access my records .

Gemini Experienced

there one i found online called a 'no-nonsense' - stainless steel (advertised as waterproof.  what?.....) it looks pretty indestructible and it's like 50 bucks plus engraving.  i only need one line, lolz, so i'm open for suggestions on the second line  :lol:

diamonds & me don't mix - we part ways pretty quick as i am not easy on my jewelry.  my 'good' jewelry stays locked up - the only reason my wedding band survived all these years (and i have had it repaired several times b/c it's hand-braided gold) is because the jewels are totally FLAT in the setting!  if they sold 'macgyver' id bracelets, or 'swiss army' ones, i'm your girl.  you never know when timmy's gonna be down the well .............maybe something with a built in flare-gun............ ^_^

Well...if Timmy goes down the well, there's Lassie to save him....silly!  :D :D :D

I understand your dilemma.  I can be pretty hard on my jewelry that is worn in specific locations, like the wrist or sometimes, the fingers.  I do really well with stud earrings, though..... ;)

Maybe the James Bond Medi-Alert might be a good fit?  I would kill for some of those toys...... :)

Gemini Experienced

Today was an example how easy it is for doc's to excess information .

I had abdominal surgery( ventral  hernia ) 5 weeks ago

I saw my PCP Monday, he ordered several blood test and  an abdominal X ray because I was having pain that IMHO was not related to my recent surgery .  Diagnoses  was diverticulitis .

Today ( Wednesday ) I saw my surgeon ( to be released back to work) I told the nurse about Monday , she was able  to pull up the test results and the xray  from two days ago ( that a different doc/ medical practice ordered )for my surgeon to see. It took her just moments to have the information.

On some level this makes me uncomfortable but in an emergency situation where I can not talk I am ok with them being able to access my records .

I agree.  This can be a good thing or a double edged sword.  I just do not like the idea that all this personal information is easily accessable all the time.  Then there is the problem of hacking but I don't even want to go there....makes my head spin.  All I know is to be careful what you divulge to a doctor these days. You don't want anything you say to come back and bite you on the bum!  :o

notme Experienced

Maybe the James Bond Medi-Alert might be a good fit?  I would kill for some of those toys...... :)

NOW you're talkin' !!  comes with it's own theme song........    ;)   laser beam......... :D

Adalaide Mentor

Okay... not exactly rocket launchers or lasers or anything, but this company was one of those "recommended whatever" on my facebook and I went there for lols. Also not exactly a medical alert bracelet but its cute!

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

notme Experienced

Okay... not exactly rocket launchers or lasers or anything, but this company was one of those "recommended whatever" on my facebook and I went there for lols. Also not exactly a medical alert bracelet but its cute!

Open Original Shared Link

those are cute, addy :)  i'm sure it could be modified to at least blow up lolz

GwenO Apprentice

About the tattoo thing.....this is something I will never understand with people.  I would NEVER get a tattoo but have no issue if someone does. Everyone has the right to do what they want with their body but I must tell you, tattoo's are not professional at all.  If you have a great job and want to look professional and have a tattoo that might show, I would agree to cover it up. You don't see judges or doctors or engineers sporting a tattoo on the job and this might just be that this mindset seems anal retentive to the tattoo crowd, but it isn't.  You are not going to be taken seriously in many jobs if you walk around with a tattoo hanging out.  Some employers will not mind but many would.  People have gotten this attitude lately that they can do whatever they want with no consequences but real life is not like that and once you do something like this, there's no turning back.  My nephew has a good job, I love him dearly but he is a walking tattoo on his chest and arms.  I think it looks horrible but he covers them up for his job....he gets it. I have never told him I hate tattoo's because I love him too much.

The other issue is that, and this is delicate, is that it was a Jewish Nursing Home.  Jews were tattooed during the war by the Nazi scum and they may take offense at seeing them on someone who does this by choice.  People in nursing homes today might be old enough to have lived through the war.  That is huge. I have many Jewish friends and they would never, ever think of getting a tattoo.  They feel it defiles the body.  That thought may not be prevalent amoung all Jews but for many, it is.

I agree with Stephanie regarding an ID bracelet. Being unconscious, as a Celiac, would not cause a problem.  Remember, the government, if you in the US, has now gone and forced doctors to do medical records electronically.  Anyone in the medical field, giving treatment to a patient, has access to your medical records.   As long as your problem with iodine is in there, they will know.  If you are unconscious, they will not be giving you anything by mouth to cause a reaction and an IV poses no threat.

I work in a hospital.  You do indeed see doctors with tattoos.  And social workers, and dieticians, and nurses, etc.  One of our RN's has full sleeves, her neck is tattoed as well.  If I were sick she'd be one of my first choices.  I have a large one on my left wrist.  I work regularly with seniors of many cultures.  The only response I've gotten has been "oh how pretty".  I would assume if they don't like it they don't say anything.  I would also assume the majority of the population knows it's no indicator of someone's ability to do their job.  Times change.  Things that were once unacceptable now are.  I'm sorry - I am in no way minimalizing the horror of the holocaust - however, it's like saying men shouldn't grow a beard because the Taliban forced some men to.

howlnmad Newbie

Your sense of humor is as intact as ever!   :lol:

If your husband really thinks you need one, there must be a nice Medi-Alert bracelet out there with some diamonds for bling.  Now THAT would be worth wearing!   ;)

Yeah, that ain't gonna happen.

The rocket launcher, sure thing.

GottaSki Mentor

How'd I miss this for so long?

Anywhoo...I started wearing one when my silly reaction to exercise got a bit dicey -- coincided with my intolerances causing more scary reactions.  is nice because i never have to carry id anymore when out exercising...doubles as my "RoadID" -- front has med sh!t and back has

my name

DOB

DL#

ICE (hubs cell phone #)

I clip mine to different pretty bracelets - currently it is on a clear crystal with gold jobbie....

Gemini Experienced

I work in a hospital.  You do indeed see doctors with tattoos.  And social workers, and dieticians, and nurses, etc.  One of our RN's has full sleeves, her neck is tattoed as well.  If I were sick she'd be one of my first choices.  I have a large one on my left wrist.  I work regularly with seniors of many cultures.  The only response I've gotten has been "oh how pretty".  I would assume if they don't like it they don't say anything.  I would also assume the majority of the population knows it's no indicator of someone's ability to do their job.  Times change.  Things that were once unacceptable now are.  I'm sorry - I am in no way minimalizing the horror of the holocaust - however, it's like saying men shouldn't grow a beard because the Taliban forced some men to.

Sorry but I do not agree with you on this one.  It is most unprofessional to be all tattooed up and comparing tattoos to beards is apples and oranges. The "times change" mantra doesn't cut it either. Those are just excuses.  Like I said, if this is what people think looks great, it's their body and they can do what they want.  But when you have a job that requires high degrees of responsibility and professionalism, being all tattooed up doesn't cut it.  We have let out standards down in America way too much and it's a real shame because it does matter.  Not to mention that getting a tattoo puts a person at risk for hepatitis.  Not everyone can absolutely insure that the parlor they go to is safe and clean and the last thing I want coming near me is a nurse who may have been exposed to hepatitis. I know people who contracted it by having a tattoo so don't say that it is rare. It's not.

AlwaysLearning Collaborator

Considering that gluten does show up in many medications, you've got me all thinking that maybe I should be more concerned about the whole bracelet issue. And I've got an antibiotic allergy as well so I really should do at least a card in my wallet.

GottaSki Mentor

Considering that gluten does show up in many medications, you've got me all thinking that maybe I should be more concerned about the whole bracelet issue. And I've got an antibiotic allergy as well so I really should do at least a card in my wallet.

I have a letter from my doctor that I carry so that if anyone ever questions concessions I am asking for can see it...have yet to show it, but it is nice to have when traveling.

The bracelet became more important for me as I was having severe breathing and anaphylaxis induced by excercise, heat and some foods (not gluten).

Make sure your electronic medical record has gluten listed under allergy -- even though Celiac Disease is not an allergy -- there is not a box in the medical record that is given the same attention as "allergies" so that is the one I utilize which all my docs agree with.

Wouldn't run out and get a bracelet unless you can foresee a situation where it would help you or to give a loved one peace of mind.

The truth is most medical situations - even emergent - you will be able to talk with your care givers to alert them to Celiac Disease/gluten.

GwenO Apprentice

Sorry but I do not agree with you on this one.  It is most unprofessional to be all tattooed up and comparing tattoos to beards is apples and oranges. The "times change" mantra doesn't cut it either. Those are just excuses.  Like I said, if this is what people think looks great, it's their body and they can do what they want.  But when you have a job that requires high degrees of responsibility and professionalism, being all tattooed up doesn't cut it.  We have let out standards down in America way too much and it's a real shame because it does matter.  Not to mention that getting a tattoo puts a person at risk for hepatitis.  Not everyone can absolutely insure that the parlor they go to is safe and clean and the last thing I want coming near me is a nurse who may have been exposed to hepatitis. I know people who contracted it by having a tattoo so don't say that it is rare. It's not.

Yes, well, I choose to base people's competency on their actions, as opposed to their appearance.  I am also intelligent enough to choose a clean establishment, that uses new needles, the same way I choose my dentist (another place where people have contracted hepatitis), my nail technician (again, potential hepatitis) if I chose to have one, even my doctor etc.  Nobody can ensure anything completely - it's more a case of making informed decisions.  I was not comparing tattoos to beards.  I was comparing the risk of offending different cultures who were subject to inhumane treatment.  For the record, nurses and other health professionals risk exposure to hepatitis, TB, HIV, meningitis, and a host of other contagions on a daily basis.  Again, we are intelligent and responsible and recognize the need to to protect ourselves and others; this is not a profession that is chosen lightly, I assure you.  I would advise the general public to pay much more attention to the level of personal cleanliness their nurse exhibits; in particular are their hands clean, do they glove, and do they wash their hands before and after each patient.  I can tell you definitively that this is infinitely more important to your health than whether or not they have tattoos.

GwenO Apprentice

once again, i am considering getting one.  my husband thinks i should, because of all the fad dieters and he is worried someone won't take my health issue seriously.  my son is t1 diabetic and is telling me not to be a hypocrite <because i wanted HIM to have one - lolz - he got a giant tattoo on his chest of the medic-alert symbol)  has anyone gotten one?  i am *constantly* explaining that i am not dieting to 'cleanse' or lose weight :huh:  or any other reason.  maybe it would be easier to just point to the bracelet....?  i dunno.  i'm in this for the long haul, might as well own it.  it would shut up some people (that might be worth it right there)  <_<   what do y'all think?

I keep thinking about one for my daughter too.  Other parents often just don't take it seriously, and although she is really great about checking sometimes adults actually try to overrule her.  I think there'd be less argument with a bracelet.......

GottaSki Mentor

I keep thinking about one for my daughter too.  Other parents often just don't take it seriously, and although she is really great about checking sometimes adults actually try to overrule her.  I think there'd be less argument with a bracelet.......

I think they are wise for children....at least they have something to point to when they try to explain to dismissive adults.

Monklady123 Collaborator

A medical alert bracelet isn't really supposed to be for people to "take notice", like in a restaurant or something like that. It's intended to be for emergencies, like someone is unconscious or disoriented. The emergency personnel (EMTs, etc.) can see the information on the bracelet and treat the person accordingly. For example, some people who are having a diabetes emergency can act/look like they're drunk. If a police officer thought the person was drunk and just took them into the local jail the person could die. But if the bracelet alerts them to diabetes the police can call the EMTs immediately.

So personally I would never wear one for celiac since it's not an immediately life-threatening condition. If I'm unconscious from something else the last thing the medical workers are going to do is feed me food with gluten.

And about those tattoos....many (most?) observant Jews do not believe in tattoos because of Leviticus 19:28. There is the argument that can be made that the verse was written to counter the pagan religious beliefs of that time, in an effort to encourage Jewish people from slipping into those practices and beliefs. But many Jews today do not believe in tattoos.

eta: I'm talking about adults. For a child it might be a good idea, especially when they're younger and maybe aren't good at advocating for themselves yet. Although I still wouldn't expect people to "take notice" of it, you'd have to speak up about it.

StephanieL Enthusiast

So personally I would never wear one for celiac since it's not an immediately life-threatening condition. If I'm unconscious from something else the last thing the medical workers are going to do is feed me food with gluten.

/\  Yeah, that!

Adalaide Mentor

I think one of the things that we all need to be and keep aware of is that celiac can in fact be a disease that becomes immediately life threatening. It is easy to think that it isn't and can't be because of all the complications that take place in the future but many either haven't heard of or simply don't take seriously the very rare, but very serious, complication of celiac crisis. Celiac crisis is quite life threatening if not appropriately treated in a timely manner. And while it is likely that a patient in this situation would be capable of explaining their situation to an ER staff, but it is also possible that you may not be able to and having anything that may help identify you and your medical status could help.

Some people have certain opinions about tattoos and I know some who although they are sensible people, refuse to be appealed to through logic. Although I am Mormon, I also have no problem with tattoos and even though I "should" be against them for myself, I'm not. (We are actually encouraged to make our own personal decisions, not just given a rule book to follow.)  Food for thought. Someone who is in the medical profession would choose their tattoo parlor with care and not go to the kind that gives people hepatitis. Additionally, employers such as hospitals screen their staff for hepatitis, so do daycares and schools. Barring a social taboo internationally, a tattoo isn't impeding anyone's ability to do their job, I just don't see what right we have to judge.

GottaSki Mentor

A medical alert bracelet isn't really supposed to be for people to "take notice", like in a restaurant or something like that. It's intended to be for emergencies, like someone is unconscious or disoriented. The emergency personnel (EMTs, etc.) can see the information on the bracelet and treat the person accordingly. For example, some people who are having a diabetes emergency can act/look like they're drunk. If a police officer thought the person was drunk and just took them into the local jail the person could die. But if the bracelet alerts them to diabetes the police can call the EMTs immediately.

I agree regarding medic alert bracelets for adults....as stated I wear mine as I have severe breathing difficulties and have had three anaphalaxis episodes which have worsened over time.

I respectfully disagree for children.....my Grandson is five - gluten-free for four years and completely able to explain his dietary needs and safety to any adult -- yet had explosive diarhea repeatedly at school for the first three months of Kindergarten. If a bracelet will remind teachers and volunteer parents of the serios nature of his situation (doctors orders have been provided to the school) - then this is another valid use of these bracelets.

Monklady123 Collaborator

Yes Lisa (since you were quoting me, I'll answer) -- that's why I also said in my post that it's different for children. ;)

GottaSki Mentor

Yes Lisa (since you were quoting me, I'll answer) -- that's why I also said in my post that it's different for children. ;)

My apologies...did not read the last paragraph carefully...did not copy anything after you changed to tattoos.

StephanieL Enthusiast

I think one of the things that we all need to be and keep aware of is that celiac can in fact be a disease that becomes immediately life threatening. 

In my research I have not found any fatalities due to a celiac crisis.  Is there any research that indicates this is the case?  My understanding of a celiac crisis is that it is profoundly rare and  typically when someone is undiagnosed (so they wouldn't have a medic alert bracelet).  

Adalaide Mentor

The quickest and most readily available study I can find is this one, in which most but not all patients were undiagnosed. Open Original Shared Link I'm sure there more info out there, which I am not going to go looking for tonight. At any rate, my point was that it can be an immediately life threatening illness, not just years from now... either way, it requires eating what is basically poison so I'm not saying this is common or something people healed need to worry about. Just that it does happen.

Archived