52 replies to this topic

#16 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

I'd have to disagree about the electronic records.  I was just hospitalized and even though my doctors are affiliated with the hospital and are right across the street, the hospital did not have access to my medical records.   I've also been hospitalized outside of my state and they didn't have access to my records.  Plus, when I did tell them my allergies, they proceeded to give me the things that could kill me!  Luckily, I was able to question them and stop them!  Nurses and doctors make mistakes on charts all the time. 

The electronic medical records will be accessable to all medical personel in hospitals and offices very soon.  That was one of the major points of Obamacare.  I don't agree with it but that is what will be implemented very soon. The fact that you just had that experience doesn't mean much as it hasn't been put into action 100% but trust me, it will.  This is why you have to be very careful what you tell a doctor these days.  If you don't want others to see it besides the person you are confiding in, then you might be better off keeping quiet or requesting that it not be put on an electronic record.  I was asked some very personal questions recently by a medical person and was told by the office that it was required information due to the new medical law.  I refused to answer the questions as I don't care what the government thinks they need to have. My sister works in a large Boston hospital and she agreed that the new way of doing things was true.  Your records won't be as private as you think.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,442 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

With the tat thing, I do think that there are several relevant points about that. One is where you live, and that seems to matter a lot. Where I grew up in PA it seems everyone has one and no one cares no matter the type of job you are doing, professional or not. Where I live in Utah now, a fair number of people have them but they are not so commonly accepted which I believe is probably for two reasons. There is a strong Mormon population here and there is also a focus on professional work rather than the manufacturing that is where I grew up. Here I would be expected to cover a tat up, and I know that and accept it. I think the reason my husband is also resistant to it is because we are Mormon, although he grew up that way and I didn't which is why my attitude is more meh... it isn't a big deal, it is for a real medical reason and whatever dude. And his attitude is zomg you'd be defiling your body! :rolleyes: I think the point about it the worker and the Jewish nursing home was also a good one. Everything is about context.

As a general rule, we like to think our medical records are all digitized now. And sure, I can walk into the records office of any of the affiliated hospitals around here and get all of my records from every hospital and doctor's office but... Hah, you knew there was a but right? I still have to explain to every person every time I get to the hospital, a new doctor's office, ER, even if it is the same ER I've been to a few dozen times, what my allergies are. These include penicillin and latex so you would think that they are glaringly obvious and all over my digital chart in some sort of way that can't be missed right? Nope. Going for a blood draw? The first words out of my mouth have to be that I have a latex allergy. They don't check, and they don't ask. Our digital medical records are useless to us as protection when it comes to our allergies or even celiac. Mine also state with my celiac, because I made them put it in the allergy section that I absolutely can not be given oral medication under any circumstances. I doubt they'll pay attention to that when they decide they want to try to force something on me.

If you think your son will feel better if you have a bracelet, go for it. Especially if he hounds you about it.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#18 stanleymonkey

stanleymonkey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:50 AM

We have medic alert bracelets for our kds, my eldest is allergic to 2 types of antibiotic so we have added severely gluten intolerant on it too. . Our issue is that gluten exposure even a trace amount cause horrific diahrrea leading o dehydration and impacted bowels very quickly. They have become much more sensitive. We live in an earthquake prone area, our min concern s being separated from them and someone giving them gluten. A kd having diahrrea is not going to be of immediate concern in a disaster, but unfortunately for my kids rations from red cross food parcels could make them horrifically ill. We actually ave a large supply of gluten free dry goods at home in case of an earthquake as anything Ivan out by the authorities will nt ve gluten free.

One thing to consider is if ou are incapacitated enought hat someone needs to read your medic alert bracelet, I dont think there is much Vance of them feeding you gluten! If even a trace exposure causes immediate and possibly severe medical complications I'd get one for example if it cause bleeding etc

#19 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,442 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

The electronic medical records will be accessable to all medical personel in hospitals and offices very soon.  That was one of the major points of Obamacare.  I don't agree with it but that is what will be implemented very soon. The fact that you just had that experience doesn't mean much as it hasn't been put into action 100% but trust me, it will.  This is why you have to be very careful what you tell a doctor these days.  If you don't want others to see it besides the person you are confiding in, then you might be better off keeping quiet or requesting that it not be put on an electronic record.  I was asked some very personal questions recently by a medical person and was told by the office that it was required information due to the new medical law.  I refused to answer the questions as I don't care what the government thinks they need to have. My sister works in a large Boston hospital and she agreed that the new way of doing things was true.  Your records won't be as private as you think.

As I was pointing out with the digital records, there is a huge difference between them existing, and them being used. My records exist digitally throughout our large HMO type hospital system here, and yet no one ever seems to know about my latex allergy. When I mention it they're like "oh yeah, there it is... I see it now on your chart." WHAT THE HELL?!?! Shouldn't things like that pop the hell up glaringly obvious?

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#20 stanleymonkey

stanleymonkey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:25 PM

I lived in the middle east where we have digital records, done properly they work, but if anything changes unless you make sure they change it there can be glaring holes.
Even here in Vancouver, I went to the hospital they hd the qigong doctor as my family doctor, the hospitals and family practices keep seperate records as the health care system is split up into 3 departments neither deal with each other except through managers. The health system was one system a few years ago no things were better, but health records are one health authority now, and admissions and doctors are another. My husband works in admissions, and in his area there is the switch board for the whole hospital, if the phone operator is in the washroom for example he isn't allowed to answer the phone as it is working for another department without permission even if that call could be about a disaster that has just happened.

#21 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

I have told all of my friends that if I get into an accident or have a heart attack or anything, just let me lie there and die. :lol:

Actually, I am only half joking. The "hospital" in this town is more of a clearing house. They "stablize" you and then send you to Rapid City. The hospital in Rapid City was just rated one of the very WORST hospitals in the country. I'd rather bleed to death here than go up there and have them torture me before they kill me. I figure if I stay here and lie very still, maybe I'll have a chance to recover. If I go up there it's all over.

Oh yeah, did I mention I love it here? There truly is nothing good to eat here, and the so-called medical care is downright dangerous, but the scenery is breathtaking, the people are wonderful, the micro-climate gives us some of the best weather in the country, the music scene is hopping, cost of living is low, and I never want to leave. Priorities you know.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#22 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

I have told all of my friends that if I get into an accident or have a heart attack or anything, just let me lie there and die. :lol:

Actually, I am only half joking. The "hospital" in this town is more of a clearing house. They "stablize" you and then send you to Rapid City. The hospital in Rapid City was just rated one of the very WORST hospitals in the country. I'd rather bleed to death here than go up there and have them torture me before they kill me. I figure if I stay here and lie very still, maybe I'll have a chance to recover. If I go up there it's all over.

Oh yeah, did I mention I love it here? There truly is nothing good to eat here, and the so-called medical care is downright dangerous, but the scenery is breathtaking, the people are wonderful, the micro-climate gives us some of the best weather in the country, the music scene is hopping, cost of living is low, and I never want to leave. Priorities you know.

:D  LOLZ!!  sounds like 'here' - they just moved from the old hospital in town (i mean OLD) where we live is 2 blocks from it and we used to hear the med-evac helicopter coming in and yell at it 'lie down!!  you're dead!!'  :P

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#23 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

As I was pointing out with the digital records, there is a huge difference between them existing, and them being used. My records exist digitally throughout our large HMO type hospital system here, and yet no one ever seems to know about my latex allergy. When I mention it they're like "oh yeah, there it is... I see it now on your chart." WHAT THE HELL?!?! Shouldn't things like that pop the hell up glaringly obvious?

I think the issue would revolve around being in an emergency situation and taken to the hospital.  That's where the need to access your medical records would be used.  Everything is going to be centralized so access would supposedly be quick and they could get the information needed. I am assuming that most people with severe allergies and intolerances would make sure that information is in there and it would be, if you visit a doctor for these issues.  Ditto for any meds you would be taking.  But those with severe anaplylactic problems would need a Medi-Alert bracelet and so do diabetics.

#24 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:04 PM

gem - i am tatt-free as well - i tell the tatters:  i'm a rebel ;)  who *doesn't* get a tatt?  this girl, that's who.  my two oldest daughters are lousy with them - i was so pissed :(  but it's not worth it.  they do what they do.  i just hope st. peter recognizes them  :blink:

the oldest is a crew chief on an f-22 in the usaf, and she has to have hers done where her uniform will cover them..........  so, no tatts on her face LOLZ  just kidding!   :D

Your sense of humor is as intact as ever!   :lol:

If your husband really thinks you need one, there must be a nice Medi-Alert bracelet out there with some diamonds for bling.  Now THAT would be worth wearing!   ;)

#25 stanleymonkey

stanleymonkey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:19 PM

We got bracelets from Idonme, they do medic alert and basic I'd, they are waterproof etc, adjustable, and they have paper inside so if details change you don't need a new bracelet.

#26 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:11 AM

there one i found online called a 'no-nonsense' - stainless steel (advertised as waterproof.  what?.....) it looks pretty indestructible and it's like 50 bucks plus engraving.  i only need one line, lolz, so i'm open for suggestions on the second line  :lol:

If your husband really thinks you need one, there must be a nice Medi-Alert bracelet out there with some diamonds for bling.  Now THAT would be worth wearing!   ;)

diamonds & me don't mix - we part ways pretty quick as i am not easy on my jewelry.  my 'good' jewelry stays locked up - the only reason my wedding band survived all these years (and i have had it repaired several times b/c it's hand-braided gold) is because the jewels are totally FLAT in the setting!  if they sold 'macgyver' id bracelets, or 'swiss army' ones, i'm your girl.  you never know when timmy's gonna be down the well .............maybe something with a built in flare-gun............ ^_^

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#27 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:15 AM

I'm always a little nervous that something's going to happen and I'll end up at the hospital and disaster will follow. I've written emergency contact info in my dayplanner which is always in my purse, and I figure if anyone looks as my phone they'll know to contact my boyfriend, but living away from family in a big city is always a small worry that I'll end up in some emergency room and no one will be able to fine me.

As for the gluten, that would be the least of my problems in such a situation. If I'm unconscious, they probably can't feed me anything orally anyway. If I'm awake the first thing would be "No Gluten! or soy!"

Canadian medical records are still pretty messed up. It depends on the province, and the hospital, etc etc. Ontario has been working on a system for years (lots of $$, little result). The clinic where I see my family doctor has electronic records, which has come in handy. If I have to go to outpatients, for example (non-emergency clinic), they can see my records, and my doctor can see it later. I do whatever I can at the clinic just so we can keep track of it all. However, if I go to another hospital or end up in emergency, I have to give a whole new history that they keep for their records instead. Unless they can speak to my family doctor, they might missed important stuff that even I don't know, and vice versa. And this city has a lot of hospitals.

In any case, if there are dangerous/severe symptoms if you ingest gluten, then having a bracelet or some clear indicator might be a good idea. I think some Celiacs have just gotten a "gluten-free" symbol tattoed. (I'm far too much of a wimp to get a tat, and would never be able to commit to a design. However, considering how beautiful some tattoo art is today, it's a shame its still stigmatized in some workplaces.)

Anyway, my two cents (er, 5 cents. We don't have pennies up here anymore) worth. Clear information or not, we still have to repeat ourselves a million times.

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#28 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

I think the issue would revolve around being in an emergency situation and taken to the hospital.  That's where the need to access your medical records would be used.  Everything is going to be centralized so access would supposedly be quick and they could get the information needed. I am assuming that most people with severe allergies and intolerances would make sure that information is in there and it would be, if you visit a doctor for these issues.  Ditto for any meds you would be taking.  But those with severe anaplylactic problems would need a Medi-Alert bracelet and so do diabetics.

Today was an example how easy it is for doc's to excess information .

I had abdominal surgery( ventral  hernia ) 5 weeks ago

I saw my PCP Monday, he ordered several blood test and  an abdominal X ray because I was having pain that IMHO was not related to my recent surgery .  Diagnoses  was diverticulitis .

Today ( Wednesday ) I saw my surgeon ( to be released back to work) I told the nurse about Monday , she was able  to pull up the test results and the xray  from two days ago ( that a different doc/ medical practice ordered )for my surgeon to see. It took her just moments to have the information.

On some level this makes me uncomfortable but in an emergency situation where I can not talk I am ok with them being able to access my records .

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#29 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

there one i found online called a 'no-nonsense' - stainless steel (advertised as waterproof.  what?.....) it looks pretty indestructible and it's like 50 bucks plus engraving.  i only need one line, lolz, so i'm open for suggestions on the second line  :lol:

diamonds & me don't mix - we part ways pretty quick as i am not easy on my jewelry.  my 'good' jewelry stays locked up - the only reason my wedding band survived all these years (and i have had it repaired several times b/c it's hand-braided gold) is because the jewels are totally FLAT in the setting!  if they sold 'macgyver' id bracelets, or 'swiss army' ones, i'm your girl.  you never know when timmy's gonna be down the well .............maybe something with a built in flare-gun............ ^_^

Well...if Timmy goes down the well, there's Lassie to save him....silly!  :D :D :D

I understand your dilemma.  I can be pretty hard on my jewelry that is worn in specific locations, like the wrist or sometimes, the fingers.  I do really well with stud earrings, though..... ;)

Maybe the James Bond Medi-Alert might be a good fit?  I would kill for some of those toys...... :)

#30 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:17 AM

Today was an example how easy it is for doc's to excess information .

I had abdominal surgery( ventral  hernia ) 5 weeks ago

I saw my PCP Monday, he ordered several blood test and  an abdominal X ray because I was having pain that IMHO was not related to my recent surgery .  Diagnoses  was diverticulitis .

Today ( Wednesday ) I saw my surgeon ( to be released back to work) I told the nurse about Monday , she was able  to pull up the test results and the xray  from two days ago ( that a different doc/ medical practice ordered )for my surgeon to see. It took her just moments to have the information.

On some level this makes me uncomfortable but in an emergency situation where I can not talk I am ok with them being able to access my records .

I agree.  This can be a good thing or a double edged sword.  I just do not like the idea that all this personal information is easily accessable all the time.  Then there is the problem of hacking but I don't even want to go there....makes my head spin.  All I know is to be careful what you divulge to a doctor these days. You don't want anything you say to come back and bite you on the bum!  :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: