4 replies to this topic

#1 jasonD2

jasonD2

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

Hi all-  i went on a short term antibiotic (Rifaximin) regimen in November to try to help with possible bacterial overgrowth.  I always seem to feel better when i am on antibiotics so figured there was a reason.  The day after i finished my course i stupidly drank too much at a party and felt horrible for a few days.  ever since this I have had lower abdominal bloating every other day...literally one day im fine then the next day im bloated.  nothing has helped.  a few months a go i started drinking kombucha and it seemed to help but that was short lived and now the bloating continues.  anyone have experience with this? if so can use some advice cause this is ruining the quality of my life

thanks

Endoscopy & blood panel all negative 12/09 after being strict w/ gluten free diet

As of 8/09 - Candida Overgrowth, C.difficile overgrowth, elevated fecal anti-gliadin, elevated putrefactive SCFA's

Developed severe lactose intolerance, IBS and food sensitivities in 02 after contracting Giardia from a river in Oregon

Had negative celiac blood work in 02

Elevated stool anti-gliadin Ab (21 with 10 being cutoff for normal) - 2008

Positive for DQ8- 2008

Tested high positive for egg, dairy, soy, ginger, mustard - 2008

Lactulose/Mannitol (leaky gut) test indicated slight intestinal permeability

Improved with gluten free diet but still have spastic constipation

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:10 AM

Did you take probiotics after the antibiotics?  That might help.   Consuming anything with good bacteria is helpful too.

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 AlwaysLearning

AlwaysLearning

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:19 AM

I was having horrible bloating and abdominal pain related to a vitamin deficiency, and it improved immediately with supplements. That said, I wouldn't run out and start taking supplements without getting tested for deficiencies.

When it comes to any sort of pill, including anitbiotics, not taking them is always going to be better than taking them unless you have an actual need.

I hadn't realized it until I read this thread but my latest round of abdominal problems started up right after having had a few drinks, which I rarely do. Can you forego alcohol until you figure out what is causing your problems?

#4 katejam

katejam

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:40 PM

Hi, I was on a triple mix cocktail of strong antibiotics for h pylori as well as amoebiasis (parasite). I felt good when I was on the antibiotics, had solid BM's - the first in a year. When I finished them, I started to feel worse & now (same as you) have abdominal bloating every day, feel awful, abdominal tenderness and backache. And soft, dark stools. Some diarrhea as well.

Did you figure out what was going on with you? I'm trying everything, including food elimination but am sooooo hungry!

Thanks!

#5 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:09 AM

Hi, I was on a triple mix cocktail of strong antibiotics for h pylori as well as amoebiasis (parasite). I felt good when I was on the antibiotics, had solid BM's - the first in a year. When I finished them, I started to feel worse & now (same as you) have abdominal bloating every day, feel awful, abdominal tenderness and backache. And soft, dark stools. Some diarrhea as well.

Did you figure out what was going on with you? I'm trying everything, including food elimination but am sooooo hungry!

Thanks!

Didn't your doctor advise taking probiotics after completing your triple cocktail mix of antibiotics?  He should have done that!  Starting take some probiotics for the next month.  You just wiped out both good and bad bacteria leaving your intestinal wall open for fungus.  Replenish with some good bacteria to help establish good intestinal flora.    There are no known side effects to taking probiotics.  Just make sure the source is agreeable to you (I can't use a milk based product).  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: