• Please log in to reply

54 replies to this topic

#16 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:14 PM

Be careful of docs with thyroid test results. The normal range is REALLY wide and many don't feel well even when their doctors tell them that they are fine. My thyroid started under functioning when I was a few years older than your daughter but doctors kept telling me I was normal. I was close to 40 before my labs were abnormal enough for them to agree.

Good luck!
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:32 PM

Be careful of docs with thyroid test results. The normal range is REALLY wide and many don't feel well even when their doctors tell them that they are fine. My thyroid started under functioning when I was a few years older than your daughter but doctors kept telling me I was normal. I was close to 40 before my labs were abnormal enough for them to agree.

Good luck!

Really great point.  All of my hormone levels were very low -- with the exception of TSH...which was "normal" but far too high for me.  Now that everything has started functioning a bit better...all my hormones that were close to nil are rising and my TSH has decreased...I think I am finally close to appropriate levels for me.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#18 tommysmommy

tommysmommy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

Hey, sounds like a rough time, but atleast you've seen some improvement. It can take some time. For my 6yr old, eliminating dairy was the key to success. He felt a million times better when he went gluten-free (and it was his little brother who was diagnosed first after a terrible bout of vomiting, diarrhea & weightloss). Anyway, my son was hospitalized for something that looked like an appendicitis (but wasnt) doctors said he had severe inflammation internally & said it must have been viral. When he didn't get better, I cut dairy & he got better! Its a challenge & unfortunately setbacks happen. I suggest giving dairy free a try, it can't hurt & might work. Good luck

#19 stanleymonkey

stanleymonkey

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:24 PM

Lower left quadrant pain and rectal bleeding and having er appendix out? That sounds exactly like my husband when he was 15 he was eventually diagnosed with crohns. The doctor might not be sr off the mark with I B D

#20 Niks

Niks

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:29 AM

Thank you!

I think as she is bleeding and still fainting she needs to at least try!  Now to convince her! 

Her new medication is actually getting her bowels moving which is better and has decreased the amount of time she is vomiting.  My take on it is, if her bowels aren't moving things through then it has to come out somewhere, hence her persistent vomiting.  This medication ( Prucalopride)  has some great trial results, so seems to be working for her.   Just need to sort the rest out!

Her pain is still high though.  This has all been going on for more than a year.  Poor girl :(.

#21 AlwaysLearning

AlwaysLearning

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:32 AM

I have problems with abdominal pain that definitely responds well to B12. And it is worse on the lower left side though is pretty much all over. My levels aren't as low as your daughters and I've never experienced the extremes you describe but at their worst, some constipation was in the mix as well.

If you just research B12 deficiencies, you won't find much information that links it to abdominal pain, but if you google B12 deficiencies AND abdominal pain or IBS, you'll get a whole different set of links.

I have only been taking B12 supplements orally and they do seem to wear off pretty quickly, though their effects are immediate. After weeks of cramping and what I thought was severe pain (though probably nothing compared to your daughter), after taking one B12 supplement along with a glass of orange juice (mixed with strawberry/banana), I had positive results within minutes. A wave of pleasureable sensations actually flowed through my digestive system and the pain just magically disappeared. Although I took two more of them throughout the day, and two the next day, the following day some of the pain had returned again, and went away after I took another supplement.

My B12 deficiency was tested at 227 which is actually within the normal range, but low enough that the gastroenterologist was concerned ... and for me to have problems. Oh, and I've never been a vegetarian so I do blame malabsorption.

And though I'm considering going back and asking to get a shot in order to get an initial boost of B12 rather than piddling around with daily doses that aren't enough, I keep reading about those who rely only on shots and seem to have to keep going back because it just wears off again, and who would want to experience symptoms that are so painful in a continuing cycle like that?

I have been using Country Life Superior B12 which is 3000 mcg tablet and gluten free. You let it dissolve in your mouth a little before swallowing it and though a little tart, dissolves quickly, tastes pretty good, and definitely has some effect so may it be an easy option for a child.

I've read about B12 patches that can also be used daily, but they contain synthetic B12 which doesn't sound good to me. And your doctor could also prescribe B12 as a nasal spray.

If I'm having what I thought were severe problems with a level of 227, I can't even start to imagine how awful a person would feel if their levels were at 67!

#22 Niks

Niks

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:53 PM

Lower left quadrant pain and rectal bleeding and having er appendix out? That sounds exactly like my husband when he was 15 he was eventually diagnosed with crohns. The doctor might not be sr off the mark with I B D

Thanks Stanleymonkey.  This is my gut instinct.  Crohn's makes more sense to me! 

AlwaysLearning -  Thank you for all this too!  I am keen to see what is going on with her B12 and her Thyroid levels.  I am wondering if she should add B12 supplements. 

Thank you everyone for your advice! 

#23 stanleymonkey

stanleymonkey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:06 PM

What was she like as a toddler we are starting to suspect my 2 yr old has crohns but my MIL is 75 so can't remember what my husband was like at that age.

#24 AlwaysLearning

AlwaysLearning

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

Post removed. I misread something.

#25 Niks

Niks

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:48 AM

What was she like as a toddler we are starting to suspect my 2 yr old has crohns but my MIL is 75 so can't remember what my husband was like at that age.

She was fine absolutely no problems Stanleymonkey!  It all started at 15 years.  Really hope you have a good GI to investigate for you. 

We haven't had the best day.  She woke up around 4am in agony.  By 10am even worse.  GP sent her to A&E.  Obs and blood tests all fine.  (Still haven't had tyroid and B12 back as taken at our local hospital!!)

By around 4pm it had eased off and now bearable.  Once she finally saw Gastro she was feeling much better!  He thinks that because her bowels haven't been working for over 6 months, that now with the new medication, the pain is everything starting working again.  Has a'dvised soft food, soups, smoothies and juicing! 

Asked about dairy again.  He doesn't think it's that at all! 

He wanted to keep her in again, but she's had enough of hospitals and as her pain was easier she wouldn't.  GRRRRRR

#26 BeccaMeadows

BeccaMeadows

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

This is similar to what I went through.

Look into adrenal function as well as the thyroid like others have suggested.  All the endocrine glands work with one another. 

I used to faint a lot from low blood pressure and was put on a medication called Midodrine.  That really helped and haven't fainted for a really long time now.  Increasing salt intake was also recommeded to myself to help increase my blood pressure.  Considering her body is under a lot of stress right now, it's considerable it's more than low blood pressure causing these fainting spells though. 

As well, try a naturopath.  Some of the stuff seems like quack science, but from what I have experienced recently, I am up for anything that actually works.  Started IV Therapy which basically overloads the body with vitamins directly into the bloodstream, so it bypasses the gut to rely on absorption.  After accidentally glutening myself for 3 months straight and getting really sick, this has been really helpful.  If your daughter is having problems with absorption, this may be a good alternative.  Some other things which help me includes digestive enzymes, evening primrose oil, adrenal support and vitamin D3. 

Another thing which I found helpful is not eating anything pre-made or processed foods.  After a few incidences with "gluten-free" products, switching to making things at home has been so helpful.  Knowing exactly what is being consumed is helpful in ensuring minimal chances of cross contamination. 

#27 Niks

Niks

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

Thank you Becca.  She generally doesn't eat processed food.  Her GP called her this morning, she has low ferritin levels, he is going to prescribe some iron.  I guess that could something to do with her constant tiredness and fainting!

#28 stanleymonkey

stanleymonkey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:53 PM

Have they done a stool sample to check for intestinal bleeding? That's the first thing they did for my 2 yr old

#29 Niks

Niks

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:45 AM

I remember one stool test, but not sure what that was testing for in hospital, this was way back x

#30 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:13 AM

All good suggestions and ideas about your daughter's health problems!

I'm famous for passing out and it started as a young child.  Looking back, I can attribute it to our family curse of non-functioning gallbladders.  Most suffered on and off for years.  Doctors were always perplexed.  Mine was only removed when it became infected and finally stopped working entirely.   I also have many food intolerances that were identified long before I was diagnosed with celiac disease.  Dairy is at the top of the list.  Consuming a lot of dairy, eating fatty foods or eating too much (this was always my case) would  cause the gallbladder attack.  Pain would be so severe that I'd faint.  Neuro doc said that the fainting was just a genetic thing, as I would pass out in extreme heat, high elevations, etc.  Nothing really wrong there.  Vomiting and diarrhea always followed.  I would also get constipated from the dairy. 

A HIDA scan identified my non-functioning gallbladder as I never had stones. 

I hope this helps.

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users