54 replies to this topic

#46 mommida

mommida

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

Unfortunately there has been a huge increase in diagnoses.  There is also *some connection to seasonal airborne allergens.  Start keeping a daily journal.  Note food, activities with locations (ie horseback riding at barn ~ so is the reaction to the horses, wheat based food for horses, barn cat dander,field of weeds that horse rode through, or mold/ fungus growing on the stall wall.), air quality, BM's, and symptoms with special note of sleep patterns. 

Michigan

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 Niks

Niks

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:04 AM

Just a quick update.  J has had a really tough month.  She is really struggling walking any distance and on one occasion we had to even hire a wheelchair as her pain levels were just so bad she couldn't straighten up and walking was impossible.

Her GP has given her morphine patches, which has taken the edge off, but still really struggling.  Last Tuesday we had a 2 hour appointment with GI.  He does not think her symptoms are coeliac related and has not seen evidence that she even is coeliac!  He is doing a full colonoscopy and endoscopy this Tuesday, so hopefully something will show.

#48 mommida

mommida

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:11 AM

Thoughts and prayers for the testing this Tuesday.  I really pray you get some answers and healing!

Take care!  (You might want to bring some pain reliever for yourself.  I always end up getting a stress migraine during most of my childrens medical stuff.)

Michigan

#49 Niks

Niks

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:50 PM

Thanks Mommida!  Good advice xx

#50 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:16 AM

Hi Niks,

I pray in Jesus name that she may get relief soon from her pain.  If they do a traditional endoscopy or colonoscopy they can see for 5 or so feet into the gut.  The small intestine is around 20 to 22 feet long, so that leaves a lot of unexplored territory.  If they don't get anywhere with traditional methods, it might be worthwhile to find a hospital that can do the capsule endoscopy that take pictures along he length of the gut.  That way they can see more of the gut and are more likely to spot problem areas.  AFAIK they can't get biopsy samples with a capsule endoscopy, so the traditional process is still needed for that.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#51 Niks

Niks

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:41 PM

Thank you GFinDC

They got to terminal ileum, but couldn't see any problems!  They did say they'd do a pillcam next, I really hope they do as I am convinced her problems are in her small bowel! 

xx

#52 GFinDC

GFinDC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:30 PM

Any news on the Julie front Niks?  IS she closer to a diagnosis?  Or to a  pillcam and her Hollywood debut? :)

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#53 Niks

Niks

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:22 AM

She has been dreadful. Admitted for fluids and IV antisickness 3 times over last 2 weeks. Also once for kidney stones!! She's never had kidney stones before!! She also has a UTI poor thing.

She's losing weight rapidly and not keeping any solid food down. Luckily at the moment she is keeping clear fluids down, but this is hit and miss!

Next GI appointment is next Tuesday, but have no dates for pillcam! They're also doing stomach emptying test but haven't got date for that either.

She's being followed up by nurologist after kidney stones, sure that'll be months away!! :(

#54 GFinDC

GFinDC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

Bummer!  Sorry Niks,  These things can be a long road sometimes.  I wonder if any of her meds have kidney stones as a possible side affect?  Are they treating them with ultra sound?

It sounds like she might have a blockage in her intestine.  They do have surgeries that can treat that condition.  My brother had several surgeries for his Crohn's and did much better after them.  I had a coworker with Crohn's who had large sections of her gut removed and she did fine afterwards.  She just had to eat small meals more frequently.  That was years ago though and I think they have better drugs available now.  So surgery may not be needed at all.

Enteral nutrition is sometimes used to help calm down the immune attack on the gut.  It is supposed to be less irritating and easier to absorb too.  It is supposed to be a kind of stabilizing / healing treatment.

Thanks for the update.  I hope and pray that Julie will get relief soon. :)

#55 Niks

Niks

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:00 PM

GFinDC - Thank you!  The problem is Jaime has no diagnosis of Crohn's!  They can't 'rule it out' but haven't seen any active crohn's on any scopes.  There are a meters of small intestine that can't be seen on scopes so it is extrememly frustrating!

She has previously been on fortisip compact when she hasn't been tolerating solids but as she stands right now she can't keep them down either.  

She is just hanging on until next Tuesday, they are going to have to come up with a plan, I think EN might work but they may have to bypass her stomach. Not sure how that's going to go down!  They think the kidney stones were caused through severe  dehydration.  I just hope that she can keep hydrated enough until her appointment.

They think that the stones have passed by themselves.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: