This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Steak And Shake Southwest Chicken Salad

TraceyJo

TraceyJo Newbie

So what am I missing? Is the gluten in the ranch dressing? The web site says the ranch dressing is gluten free but it also says there is wheat in the southwest chicken salad. I'm a little lost here.

"Southwest Grilled Chicken Salad

Grilled Chicken Fillet, Lettuce Blend, Pico de Gallo (Tomatoes, Red Onions, Jalapeno Peppers, Cilantro, Lime Juice), Corn, Black Beans, Fried Tortilla Strips, Cheddar-Jack Cheese, Chipotle Sauce, Lime, and Ranch Dressing.

Contains: wheat, milk, soy, eggs"

Maybe the " buttermilk ranch dressing " listed as gluten free is different than the ranch dressing in the salad?

Jo

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

It's not a complete ingredient list. Do they list the ingredients for the tortilla strips, ranch dressing, grilled chicken & chipolte sauce in another place? Doubt the black beans are just beans - usually they have salt at least. Who knows what is in these items.

TraceyJo Newbie

These are listed separately :

Corn and Black Beans

Corn, Black Beans (Black Beans, Water), Poblano , Red Bell Peppers, and Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

Buttermilk Ranch Dressing

Soybean Oil, Distilled Vinegar, Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Egg Yolks, Buttermilk, Salt, Garlic Juice, Whey, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate (Added As Preservatives), Monosodium Glutamate, Xanthan Gum, Natural Butter Flavor, Polysorbate 60, Lactic Acid, Dehydrated Onion, Spices, Titanium Dioxide, and Calcium Disodium EDTA (Added To Protect Flavor).

Contains: milk, eggs

Fried Tortilla Strips

Ground corn treated with lime, water, cellulose gum, propionic acid (to preserve freshness), benzoic acid (preservative), phosphoric acid (to preserve freshness), guar gum, amylase, artificial coloring (dextrose, FD&C Red #40, FD&C Yellow #5, and FD&C Yellow #6).

mamaw Community Regular

I  would  guess the  fried  tortilla  chips are  CC...

TraceyJo Newbie

That might be. Something sure got me and that's all I ate that day. After that I spent the rest of the day in pain and didnt eat anything else. Starting to feel better today, but I still have a ways to go to feel good again. I was so amazed at how good I felt after I went gluten free that when I started to have pain yesterday, I panicked. When i could not identify exactly what caused it, i was affraid that i was going back to the way i felt before and would have to start all over again trying to find a "fix". I've only been gluten-free for a little over a month and have not eaten out but a couple times. This is the second time that I've messed up. The first time I knew what I had eaten right away, but when I couldn't pin point a cause it worried me. The next time we try to eat out, we'll go somewhere else, at least until I get better at this.

notme Experienced

i just read the title of this thread to my hubs and said "am i eating that?"  and he said 'NOOOOO'  lolz - i probably will never eat any sort of fast food again.  it only takes one mistake to knock you down, and (in my opinion) they don't pay fast food slingers enough $$ to care enough to be ever so careful not to get crumbs, etc, (harmless in their minds, in their defense) onto your food without you even knowing it.  i *do* still eat out, but i am picky! picky! and it's not that often.   do you have any other choices of restaurants?  

TraceyJo Newbie

There is a Bob Evans near by and I have eaten there once and they were great. I didn't have any problems. I don't think I'll be going back to steak and shake anymore.

quote name="notme!" post="881105" timestamp="1374767339"]i just read the title of this thread to my hubs and said "am i eating that?"  and he said 'NOOOOO'  lolz - i probably will never eat any sort of fast food again.  it only takes one mistake to knock you down, and (in my opinion) they don't pay fast food slingers enough $$ to care enough to be ever so careful not to get crumbs, etc, (harmless in their minds, in their defense) onto your food without you even knowing it.  i *do* still eat out, but i am picky! picky! and it's not that often.   do you have any other choices of restaurants?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived