3 replies to this topic

#1 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:28 PM

I have to share this, I've tried for months to perfect homemade French fries and after two meals of perfect fries,,, here's how you do it.  These don't come out soggy, burnt or yucky.  They're delicious.

Pre-preparation: 

Place oven racks at next to the lowest and next to the top of the oven.  Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Ingredients

Scrubbed Idaho (or other large spud, including yams)

Salt and other seasoning to taste.

Slice the potatoes into French fries the size you like them.  Toss them into a bowl of cool water.  Rinse well, then let them soak in cool water while you heat the oven to 415 degrees.  Drain them well, pat them dry with paper towels, distribute on the 2 cookie sheets, drizzle with olive oil and pop into the oven.

Bake 15 minutes, rearrange the cookie sheets, bake another 15 minutes, and you will have some very, very good French fries.

2 notes:  I've never used more than 3 potatoes, and if you use sweet potatoes, you'll get a good work out slicing, but they're really good!  3 spuds make enough to serve 5 people as a side, or 2 people and a hungry dog as a main course.

Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,315 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:01 AM

For sweet potatoes, try boiling the whole potato for about 5 minutes first.  Much easier to cut.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

The Cooks Illustrated cookbook on the science of cooking says to boil the cut potatoes in a pot of water with baking soda (I dot have the exact proportions right now). The acid starts dissolving the outer layer of potato, leading to a larger surface area to brown and crisp in the oven.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:06 PM

Thanks for the tips, I appreciate them!

Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: