Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Gf Adobo Substitutes

4 posts in this topic

Hi All,

We are looking for gluten-free substitutes for the Spanish seasoning called Adobo. Our brother-in-law won't make his rice and beans without it. Is it gluten-free? If not, what are the tastiest alternatives...

All tasty gluten-free suggestions would be helpful.

Ads by Google:

Tammy,

I did a quick Google search for adobo + seasoning and found Penzey's adobo seasoning. I believe Penzey's spice blends are gluten-free, although you will probably want to double check this. Or you could use the ingredient list as a guideline and mix your own blend at home. (Come to think of it, I'll bet you could find a cookbook at your local library that would have an "authentic" recipe.) I hope this helps!

I hope you find an answer and post it here...we love adobo. The problem is, it regularly has MSG in it! We also used to make our beans and rice with Sazon Goya con culantro y achote...but now, my husband just uses the individual seasonings because the Goya ALSO has MSG...so maybe making your own Adobo isnt such a bad idea. :)

From my understanding if MSG is made from a company in the US it is fine. OF course some may have a reaction to it, but that's not from the gluten. Just an additional sensitivity.