9 replies to this topic

#1 clafran

clafran

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

This isn't exactly a sleep problem, but it's been occurring more frequently, at least in the last 6 months since I've gone gluten-free.  I have recurring nightmares of intentionally eating something with gluten, or eating something that I find out just after eating it that has gluten.

Anybody else in this same boat?  Yes, there are a few other stressors in my life, but I find it odd that I'm dreaming about gluten.

Last night, I was dreaming that I was eating French fries (from McDonalds -- a no-no IRL, obviously) when I grabbed one that was attached to a 'chicken' nugget.  I ate it, but then tried to spit it out and/or make myself vomit.

There have been at least 2 other dreams of this nature.  Is this normal?  Will it stop?

Thanks!

Cathy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:56 AM

Yes, it is common. I have been gluten-free for over two years and I just had a dream about sneaking some pancakes the other night. Last week I dreamed I was asking my Mom's advice about being gluten-free. (Mom had celiac) In my dream she didn't want to talk about it and I was hurt. I think THAT one stems from the guilt I still feel for thinking she was a hypochondriac for all those years before she was diagnosed.

Food and eating are a big part of anyone's life so I don't think it's odd that we should dream about food or our diets. I just laugh it off.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#3 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:42 PM

Oh I've had those dreams....I had a terrible nightmare where I picked up a big slice of pizza and shoved it in my mouth....then I "remembered" that I had Celiac and I began to cry and panic...

I explained to my friend the next day that most people would consider a dream about eating pizza a very good one - its funny to me that its probably our worst nightmare!

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Diagnosed Celiac in May 2012 by TTG level and endoscopy
Acid reflux/GERD (stopped since eating gluten-free)
Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

#4 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:31 PM

I am so glad I am not the only person who has dreams like this, I was about to start a thread but I thought I would search first.  Once a month or so its like, I sit down at a restaurant and eat a piece of bread/slice of cake and then I realize I shouldn't have eaten that and hysteria erupts.  I also dream that I walk through the bakery in the grocery store and go on a rampage stuffing my face with all that delicious looking bread.  I was a big bread lover before Celiac.  But in real life I am totally fine with the tradeout- no gluten/better health.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:09 PM

I am so glad I am not the only person who has dreams like this, I was about to start a thread but I thought I would search first.  Once a month or so its like, I sit down at a restaurant and eat a piece of bread/slice of cake and then I realize I shouldn't have eaten that and hysteria erupts.  I also dream that I walk through the bakery in the grocery store and go on a rampage stuffing my face with all that delicious looking bread.  I was a big bread lover before Celiac.  But in real life I am totally fine with the tradeout- no gluten/better health.

I still have those nightmares, but not as often. Mine usually revolve around the grill, a party and big fluffy buns, and I stick a nice burger on a bun by mistake.

Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#6 CallieNYC

CallieNYC

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:57 PM

I'm so glad that i'm not the only one who has these nightmares. The following week, after the dream, I am very paranoid about the food that I eat. Mine usually have to deal with accidentally eating a cracker or cookie and "realizing" I have celiac and then panicking!

In the End, Only Kindness Matters

Gluten Free since 6/20/12

#7 Salax

Salax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:53 PM

Yup, I have had dreams like that as well.

Salax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Celiac Disease - Gluten Free since Feb 2009,
Cow Milk &  Corn free - June 2012,
Gall Bladder Failure - Removed July 2009,
Colitis, Hashimotos Disease, & Diverticulitis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
( )_( )
(='.'=)
(")_(") Eat your vegetables!

#8 pugmug

pugmug

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:44 PM

I've had these dreams too!

My dream will be that I'm talking to someone, engaged in a pretty important conversation, and then BAM -- I realize I'm eating -- I'm half way through a slice of pizza or bread or something and freak out. Also used to have the exact same dream but about cigarettes when I quit smoking. Stopped for me after 6 months or so.

#9 michaelyejo

michaelyejo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:23 PM

This isn't exactly a sleep problem, but it's been occurring more frequently, at least in the last 6 months since I've gone gluten-free.  I have recurring nightmares of intentionally eating something with gluten, or eating something that I find out just after eating it that has gluten.

Anybody else in this same boat?  Yes, there are a few other stressors in my life, but I find it odd that I'm dreaming about gluten.

Last night, I was dreaming that I was eating French fries (from McDonalds -- a no-no IRL, obviously) when I grabbed one that was attached to a 'chicken' nugget.  I ate it, but then tried to spit it out and/or make myself vomit.

There have been at least 2 other dreams of this nature.  Is this normal?  Will it stop?

Thanks!

Cathy

Ohh my goodness. Ive had some bad dreams. I was diagnosed 11 years from now when I was 10. Some nights I felt like I would sleep walk into the kitchen and grab a cupcake off the counter or make a wonder bread sandwich and went back to bed. Sometimes I would wakeup right away and ball my eyes out because I am scared how much pain I am going to be in or I would wakeup in the morning thinking about how it felt so real. I remember the taste. 

#10 moosemalibu

moosemalibu

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:10 AM

I wanted to report that I had a pretty vivid dream of being glutened by eating a piece of wheat bread on a sandwich. My boyfriend brought the bag camping so I assumed it was gluten free and then after I ate it I panicked - read the package - and sure enough - wheat bread. I was so hysterical in the dream. It was crazy. I woke up and almost felt it was real. Thank goodness it was just a dream.

Jamie

"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone." Ronald Reagan

• Diagnosed Celiac via blood test 8-22-13
  • Dairy & gluten free in 8-22-13 then did gluten challenge in October
  • Endoscopy/Biopsy Oct-26-13 positive for Celiac
  • HLA-DQ2 positive
  • Vitamin D insufficiency 12-6-13 (had it prior no doubt, just wasn't checked until December)
  • Dairy Added back in successfully 3-1-14
  • Normal Antibody Levels 3-19-14! 
  • Egg, sugar alcohols Intolerant 5-2014

Supplements: Fish Oil, Digestive enzymes, probiotics, biotin, multivitamin, joint supplement, psyllium husk

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: