Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

gluten-free 3 Yrs Now Hypothyroidism Is His Causing Constipation

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

My DD has been gluten-free for 3 yrs. We have prior to and still currently are dealing with excess stool in the colon. We have been told to treat with Miralax and he occasional weekend of Exlax "clean out" . The Dr's keep saying its safe to treat her with miralax daily but I don't feel good about it.  Anyways, to add to her problems she has been seeing a Endo for 5 months and is now on the medication Levothyroxine.   

I have read that constipation can be a symptom of Hashimoto's disease (which is what she tested positive for ) 

ANyone with similar experience ?

I am hoping the poor kid can get some respite from the miralax etc.. 

Is they thyroid issue being treated?

she started Thyroid medicine 5 days ago

miralax  is  a  safe  non habit  forming medication... its  things  like  "EXLAX"  &  things  like  that  , they  are  habit  forming &  one  can become  addicted  so to  speak. Plus  they  can  make  a  weak  colon  stop  trying all together..I  would  stay  clear  of those  drugs.... another  one  is  mineral oil  which is  a  safe one. But  again for  daily use  I  would  stick to miralax  &  maybe  add in  Alig

Levothyroxine   may not  take  care of  her  thyroid  but  mainstream  docs  will only  prescribe  the  synthyroid  or  generic  drug.... sad  in my book.... I  almost  fied  on  that  stuff....I now  take  whole  glandular  thyroid  med  &  got my life  back....after  seven years  of  hell....

miralax  is  a  safe  non habit  forming medication... its  things  like  "EXLAX"  &  things  like  that  , they  are  habit  forming &  one  can become  addicted  so to  speak. Plus  they  can  make  a  weak  colon  stop  trying all together..I  would  stay  clear  of those  drugs.... another  one  is  mineral oil  which is  a  safe one. But  again for  daily use  I  would  stick to miralax  &  maybe  add in  Alig

Levothyroxine   may not  take  care of  her  thyroid  but  mainstream  docs  will only  prescribe  the  synthyroid  or  generic  drug.... sad  in my book.... I  almost  fied  on  that  stuff....I now  take  whole  glandular  thyroid  med  &  got my life  back....after  seven years  of  hell....

What is Alig ?? Why might Levothyroxine not work ???

Like Mamaw, I did not get any better on Synthroid. I had to see an "alternative" doctor to get Erfa's Thyroid (like Armour) and I finally feel better.  My C did improve slightly while on Synthroid, but I was also starting the gluten-free diet at the time so I'm not sure what effect that had on it. Erfa's Thyroid straightened it out (almost) completely for me.