#1 Mizzo

Mizzo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:39 AM

Hi all,

My DD has been gluten-free for 3 yrs. We have prior to and still currently are dealing with excess stool in the colon. We have been told to treat with Miralax and he occasional weekend of Exlax "clean out" . The Dr's keep saying its safe to treat her with miralax daily but I don't feel good about it.  Anyways, to add to her problems she has been seeing a Endo for 5 months and is now on the medication Levothyroxine.   

I have read that constipation can be a symptom of Hashimoto's disease (which is what she tested positive for ) 

ANyone with similar experience ?

I am hoping the poor kid can get some respite from the miralax etc.. 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

Is they thyroid issue being treated?

#3 Mizzo

Mizzo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:53 PM

Is they thyroid issue being treated?

she started Thyroid medicine 5 days ago

#4 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:09 PM

miralax  is  a  safe  non habit  forming medication... its  things  like  "EXLAX"  &  things  like  that  , they  are  habit  forming &  one  can become  addicted  so to  speak. Plus  they  can  make  a  weak  colon  stop  trying all together..I  would  stay  clear  of those  drugs.... another  one  is  mineral oil  which is  a  safe one. But  again for  daily use  I  would  stick to miralax  &  maybe  add in  Alig

Levothyroxine   may not  take  care of  her  thyroid  but  mainstream  docs  will only  prescribe  the  synthyroid  or  generic  drug.... sad  in my book.... I  almost  fied  on  that  stuff....I now  take  whole  glandular  thyroid  med  &  got my life  back....after  seven years  of  hell....

#5 Mizzo

Mizzo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

miralax  is  a  safe  non habit  forming medication... its  things  like  "EXLAX"  &  things  like  that  , they  are  habit  forming &  one  can become  addicted  so to  speak. Plus  they  can  make  a  weak  colon  stop  trying all together..I  would  stay  clear  of those  drugs.... another  one  is  mineral oil  which is  a  safe one. But  again for  daily use  I  would  stick to miralax  &  maybe  add in  Alig

Levothyroxine   may not  take  care of  her  thyroid  but  mainstream  docs  will only  prescribe  the  synthyroid  or  generic  drug.... sad  in my book.... I  almost  fied  on  that  stuff....I now  take  whole  glandular  thyroid  med  &  got my life  back....after  seven years  of  hell....

What is Alig ?? Why might Levothyroxine not work ???

#6 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:28 AM

Like Mamaw, I did not get any better on Synthroid. I had to see an "alternative" doctor to get Erfa's Thyroid (like Armour) and I finally feel better.  My C did improve slightly while on Synthroid, but I was also starting the gluten-free diet at the time so I'm not sure what effect that had on it. Erfa's Thyroid straightened it out (almost) completely for me.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: