1 reply to this topic

#1 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:59 PM

The American Veterans Traveling Tribute arrived in town about an hour ago. This is an 80% scale copy of the Viet Nam Wall in Washington DC. For the next several days there are events in town honoring our veterans. (This is particularly significant in this town. We have one of the very best VA hospitals in the country. It has been rated in the top three every year for many many years, and their PTSD program is second to none. AND, the VA is trying to CLOSE it and build a new hospital in a larger city. It has NOTHING to do with the veteran's car and everything to do with money.)

Anyway, they are setting The Wall up in one of the parks right down the street from my shop. As well as The Wall, there will be The Gold Dog Tag Memorial, something for those who died in wars after Viet Nam - the ones that don't have any monuments yet.

There is a 9/11 Memorial. There are pictorial displays honoring vets from WWII and Korea. There is "The Walk of Heroes",  a display honoring ALL who died in US wars since the Revolution.

There are special dinners, special concerts, artwork displays, quilt displays, all pertaining to our vets.

There are so many events and activities between now and Sunday afternoon. I'm so proud of our town and the folks at The American Legion who instigated this. I will be going to look up some friends names on The Wall tomorrow night.

This is so emotional for all of us here. I just wanted to share with you, my friends. So, hug a veteran today. Ask him or her if there is anything you can do for them. No matter what it is, it can never pay them back for what they did for US. I'm crying now. Gotta go...

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,593 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:59 AM

(((hugs))) Sounds like a lovely tribute.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: