Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Why Has My Hunger Craving Hasn't Changed Since Going gluten-free?

21 posts in this topic

I always been a very starving person, eating 5 to 6 meals a days and even bigger meals when I wasn't bloated constantly and when it got bad I would starve so much that I would eat a meal right before going to bed and get nauseous and starving during my sleep cycle, that's how hungry I would get.

Well I guess it changed a little from the fact I don't get nausea as much anymore but I am still starving all the time, It isn't rare for me to eat before bed and can't wait to finish my sleep circle so I can eat breakfast as fast as possible. I eat about 5 times a day now.

Ads by Google:

How long has it been?  How long since the last accidental gluten ingestion?  You may need more time.  It may have a different cause.  Not everything is caused by gluten.

I can't say for sure, from cross-contamination, could be anything from the 6 nuts i had 2 days ago that were made in the same facility as gluten but doesn't say it on the package, to those 2 vegetables i ate yesterday from spices that also may be in touch with gluten to that coffee i tried again since last week this morning.

As far as knowing for sure, the July 19th is my last known officially glutening.

It took me months for my appetite to fall off. After one year gluten-free, I finally do not get the shakes if I don't eat every 2-3 hours. You may need more time.

What is also annoying is I get very hungry and it cause me to feel bloated because I still get C, it goes out in the morning a bit but way more goes in then out.

"but way more goes in then out."

That surprised me at first too. Then I realized I was finally DIGESTING my food instead of it passing through. (The savings in TP almost covers my grocery bill! :lol: )

Just keep eating lots of small meals for a while. And there's nothing wrong with getting up in the middle of the night and eating a bit if your hunger wakes you. Try to have something handy that requires no prep. That way you can eat and go right back to bed without waking up too much.

Yup, right now I'm so bloated it's pretty bad, going to reach for that castor oil bottle as soon as I get home.

Can you eat nuts? I was having a bit of trouble with C after going gluten-free. (Before going gluten-free it was the opposite.) Since I eat a handful or two of nuts every day now I haven't had that problem.

I thought I could until recently, I was eating those almonds from the facility that manufacture with wheat in it but not on the same produce line (doesn't say anything on their package) and I was feeling totally good when eating them, I really thought almonds agreed with me until last week when I ate them and I felt bloated,cramps and nauseous, I had quite a few that day.

Then I tried eating just a tiny amount (6) 2 days ago and I felt gut pain, so I avoided nuts since then.

COULD be CC. Or it could be the type of nuts. I can't do almonds for some reason but cashews work just fine. And as I said before, you can eat Planter's nuts without fear. They are one of the good guys (I believe Kraft owns them.) ANY gluten will be CLEARLY labeled, and anything that is processed in a facility that uses gluten will be clearly labeled.

COULD be CC. Or it could be the type of nuts. I can't do almonds for some reason but cashews work just fine. And as I said before, you can eat Planter's nuts without fear. They are one of the good guys (I believe Kraft owns them.) ANY gluten will be CLEARLY labeled, and anything that is processed in a facility that uses gluten will be clearly labeled.

I'll give them a shot, if I feel bad then it's nut intolerance.

I still think you need to get checked for other vitamin deficiencies. If your body really is in need of something, you'll continue to have cravings no matter how much you eat if it isn't getting what it really wants.

And many of your posts mention mono diets, eating the same things day after day. Add some more variety and more fiber and constipation issues should also ease up. One thing that can't hurt you is adding green leafy vegetables. You never see anyone here complaining about what their salad did to them. Make your own so you can avoid cross contamination, and add your own favorite veggies. That is also a great way to help with vitamin deficiencies since a variety of veggies is also a good way to get a variety of nutrients.

When it comes to pain and bloating, again, vitamin deficiencies can cause them, as well as eating foods low in fiber, and dehydration. Drink lots of water too.

I'll get checked for vitamins deficency once my finances allow me. Atm im taking ok probiotics and a good multi vitamin rich in all B and D3, with another boost from spirulina that is rich in B12 and iron. My diet is limited because i cut all grains and seem to have issue with nuts and more, i also cut nightshade for safety.

All grain except rice

"One thing that can't hurt you is adding green leafy vegetables. You never see anyone here complaining about what their salad did to them."

Actually, when I first started the diet, leafy greens went through me like water. I wasn't intolerant to them but my system was so messed up it seemed like EVERYTHING was giving me trouble. Switching to all organic foods for a while helped my body to settle down.

i still feel like that sometimes - it's like somebody flips a switch and i am STARVING.  i kind of like it because i was never hungry before.  i used to think it was stupid for people to be so hungry!  

"but way more goes in then out."

That surprised me at first too. Then I realized I was finally DIGESTING my food instead of it passing through. (The savings in TP almost covers my grocery bill! :lol: )

Just keep eating lots of small meals for a while. And there's nothing wrong with getting up in the middle of the night and eating a bit if your hunger wakes you. Try to have something handy that requires no prep. That way you can eat and go right back to bed without waking up too much.

barty - i think this is true - finally digesting!  and in another post you make a point about salads/veggies being hard to digest in the beginning.

One thing I've notice is when I eat, I finally get energy, I get very tired if I don't eat but as soon as I get something in me, I feel I can function for another 2 hours or so. I took an appointment to get tested for vitamin deficiency but then they will refer me to another place who will actually do the test then 2-3 weeks for results, basically i wont know what I'm deficient in for another 6 weeks or so.

My guess is I probably have severe vitamin deficiency and probably thyroid issue, I have constant pain in the neck like something is pushing me down and very tired and no energy to walk, it gets better then it gets worse and of course I cant **** breathe.

So I went to get plantar nuts, it was well labeled that it could contain gluten(wheat) so I didn't buy them but I went with the peanut in shell from the same facility as the almonds that gave me trouble, had a few and no problems.

What kind of nuts were they? ALL of their "regular" nuts - salted cashews, almonds, peanuts, pistachios, and even walnuts have only,"manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts and tree nuts". That means they are safe. They are made in facilities that do NOT process gluten at all.

I'm not sure about the dry roasted or flavored nuts, but if you want plain old nuts with salt you can buy and eat these with confidence.

What kind of nuts were they? ALL of their "regular" nuts - salted cashews, almonds, peanuts, pistachios, and even walnuts have only,"manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts and tree nuts". That means they are safe. They are made in facilities that do NOT process gluten at all.

I'm not sure about the dry roasted or flavored nuts, but if you want plain old nuts with salt you can buy and eat these with confidence.

Guess not in canada, because it was overpriced nuts 6$ for 225g and it was regular one, I looked at other, salty and they were all marketing gluten.

I'll double check for which flavor and other products, but definitely saw gluten written.

So wierd about the hunger thing.  I got glutened 6 days ago.  The following day I was ravenous for the entire day... didn't matter what I ate, I was still starving!  Wonder if it has something to do with Grehlin levels (hunger hormone).  Apparently much higher in Celiacs than non-celiacs.  I was always a little dubious about the 'celiac' self-diagnosis with sort of agreement from doctors, but after this experience I am pretty certain - infact 100% certain that I am.  The hunger is finally starting to die down... replaced by a low grade nausea instead!