This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Raising Vitamin D Levels?

TessTess

TessTess Newbie

Hi!

I've been diagnosed for a long time and its well controlled. The last 3.5 years I've been pregnant and/or breastfeeding, 2 c-sections and my body is struggling a little. I'm having trouble with vitamin D levels, my new doctor (like my old doctor) just keep telling me to take 1000iu of vitamin D, but I already do plus good food, however my numbers are about 20 and I want them much higher, especially as my 10 month old still nurses regularly and isn't eating a huge amount yet.

Anyone know more about what sort if levels I can take?

Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

notme Experienced

hi, tess - my doc has me on 50,000 iu 1x per week - mine was at 24 - i'm going for a visit on wednesday, so i am curious how much they have gone up (i hope!) certainly makes a big difference and i was surprised at how low i was.  i'm going to ask if i can take a lower dose once per day (hard to remember once a week and i have a brain like a seive lolz) and also see if he would prescribe me something that isn't delivered in soybean oil.  i'll let you know if the 1x per wk mega-dose worked (on wednesday)  :)

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I take 5 drops of liquid  5,000 d3 daily.  I am up from 3 drops which put me at borderline normal.

D

greenbeanie Enthusiast

My level was 29 two months ago, and I was able to raise it to 50 in just eight weeks by taking 4000 IU of d3 daily. I went gluten-free shortly after the first vitamin level test. I'm not sure how quickly people's levels usually rise, but that seemed like a good increase to me in such a short time! My doctor gave me the ok to take the 4000 IU daily, though she also said that 29 was a fine level and I didn't really need to raise it (so I'm not sure how up on d levels she actually is).

tarnalberry Community Regular

Sun!

frieze Community Regular

Sun!

In moderation!  lol   15-20 min a day.   and supplement with D3, not D2.

TessTess Newbie

Thanks everyone. I was taking prenatals, fish oil and getting midday sun for 20 minutes when I was below 20, then got up to 29 on prescription vit D, but the doctors don't seem as worries about my levels as I am, but I know breastfeeding especially I really need to get them up (and hope some of my joint pain disappears). Anyway I have been researching also on the vitamin d council website and will take 5000ui a day. Thanks everyone.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

powerofpositivethinking Community Regular

I'm glad you're questioning your doctors.  I'm also taking 50000 ius once a week right now and will get it retested soon.  I had a level of 25 in February this year and supplemented with 3000 ius a day and had it retested last time in June and it went to a 28.  The Vitamin D Council recommends a level of 50.  Open Original Shared Link

I should've asked...are you gluten free already?  Also have you had your cholesterol tested lately?  Even with sunlight exposure, if you have low cholesterol your body will be unable to create Vitamin D since it is made from cholesterol, and low cholesterol is some people's only indicator of having celiac. 

good luck!

Thanks everyone. I was taking prenatals, fish oil and getting midday sun for 20 minutes when I was below 20, then got up to 29 on prescription vit D, but the doctors don't seem as worries about my levels as I am, but I know breastfeeding especially I really need to get them up (and hope some of my joint pain disappears). Anyway I have been researching also on the vitamin d council website and will take 5000ui a day. Thanks everyone.

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Sun!

I garden 3-4 hours a day, but my levels were still low.  I live in Minnesota, so perhaps the northern rays are not so strong.  .

I asked if the body must process the Vitamin D through the small intestine, but it doesn't.  I have a beautiful tan, but still need to supplement my vitamin D!

greenbeanie Enthusiast

I also spend a lot of time outdoors and it didn't raise my D level, which was puzzling. But I had low cholesterol too (not shockingly low, but 20 points below the low-end value of the reference range, despite eating meat and quite a bit of cheese). I never realized they could be connected! My doctor applauded the low cholesterol as if it were a good thing.

It is amazing how all the weird and unexplained pieces keep falling into place...People here are seriously better at making sense of stuff than all the doctors I've ever see. Wish I'd found this site years ago!

TessTess Newbie

I have cholesterol issues (slightly high, good and bad) and that's barely touching animal products, just genetics (from the non celiac side also) something I try and control by a very strict diet so I can breastfeed.

Anyone recommend a vitamin D3 drops?

Thanks for all the posts!

notme Experienced

winner!  lolz - is that what your doc recommended, tess?

In moderation!  lol   15-20 min a day.   and supplement with D3, not D2.

my doc has me on d2 - why is d3 better?  i'm going on wednesday, trying to get all my ducks in a row (before i go see my quack LOLZ couldn't resist that one - he's really not a bad doc.  he just needs fine-tuning lolz)  what are the drops in or is it just 'straight' vitamin d3?

TessTess Newbie

No Doctor hasn't replied yet to my email, I researched it on the vitamin D council website

Open Original Shared Link

They said (as did my lactation consultant) D3 is better, I can't remember why. I also know its absorbed better with fish oil, so I take them together plus trying to eat wild salmon often amongst other things. I give my young children D3 yum drops by jarrow.

notme Experienced

thanks -- i think i will take a look-see at that website :)

frieze Community Regular

I garden 3-4 hours a day, but my levels were still low.  I live in Minnesota, so perhaps the northern rays are not so strong.  .

I asked if the body must process the Vitamin D through the small intestine, but it doesn't.  I have a beautiful tan, but still need to supplement my vitamin D!

Once you tan, you reduce the amount of vit D that you make.  also, don't shower/bathe immediately after sunning.

frieze Community Regular

winner!  lolz - is that what your doc recommended, tess?

my doc has me on d2 - why is d3 better?  i'm going on wednesday, trying to get all my ducks in a row (before i go see my quack LOLZ couldn't resist that one - he's really not a bad doc.  he just needs fine-tuning lolz)  what are the drops in or is it just 'straight' vitamin d3?

D2 is the plant form, D3 is the usable animal form. 

frieze Community Regular

No Doctor hasn't replied yet to my email, I researched it on the vitamin D council website

Open Original Shared Link

They said (as did my lactation consultant) D3 is better, I can't remember why. I also know its absorbed better with fish oil, so I take them together plus trying to eat wild salmon often amongst other things. I give my young children D3 yum drops by jarrow.

hopefully you have read on the vit D site about the accusations of child abuse related to osteomalacia/fractures in breast fed infants of D def moms?m

Archived