This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Now Why The Heck Would We Do That?

Rowena

Rowena Rising Star

Every state in this country has at least one law that is stupid.  Utah has a lot of them in my book, and I frequently want to smack myself in the head... Did we REALLY come up with that law?

Like for example, Its illegal to hunt whales.  I live in frickin Utah?  First of all, we are landlocked.  Sure we have the Great Salt Lake, but last I checked, we don't have whales.  So where on earth did THAT law come from?

There is also a law that says, 'It is illegal to fish from horseback.'  Um... do I even want to know?

But my all time favorite is a fairly recent law that was passed.  There is an Iron Curtain Ban, as it is fondly called, and no one in the state Senate will lay claim to it as being their idea, or that they even voted for it.  Now what IS this law?  Basically, it states, that all liquor in new restaurants must be poured AND stored in a place where customers can't see it.  Supposedly the thought process is if a kid sees it poured, they'll be driven to drink.  Meanwhile, I'm sitting here thinking, 'In Utah, you cannot even be a server unless you are 21, and bartenders are the ones who pour the drinks for the servers.  And in Utah, you cannot even SIT at the bar unless you are 21.  And like I just mentioned, drinks are poured (and kept) at the bar... SOOOOO what was the point of this law?'

So what other stupid laws have you seen?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

We have the famous Kansas law -

If two trains meet on the same track, neither shall proceed until the other has passed.

And a few other brilliant ones :

Rabbits may not be shot from motorboats.

Pedestrians crossing the highways at night must wear tail lights.

No one may catch fish with his bare hands. ( shared by several states)

The state game rule prohibits the use of mules to hunt ducks.

Our city has this one. It sounds stupid if you dont know about that asshat in Topeka & his family church.-

It is illegal to picket funerals

Rowena Rising Star

If two trains meet on the same track, neither shall proceed until the other has passed.

And a few other brilliant ones :

Rabbits may not be shot from motorboats.

Pedestrians crossing the highways at night must wear tail lights.

No one may catch fish with his bare hands. ( shared by several states)

The state game rule prohibits the use of mules to hunt ducks.

Yeah Utah shares that fishing one...  And really?  Shoot rabbits from a motorboat?  Not sure what rabbit is on water, or close enough to water that you'd have a good shot.  

The Mule Duck one is alot like our horse-fish...  

And I LOVE that train law!

nvsmom Community Regular

In Alberta:

• It is illegal to pretend to practice witchcraft.
  • You may never use dice to play craps.
  • You can’t work on your car in the street.
  • In Calgary, Alberta it is illegal to buy and/or sell non prescription contacts at costume shops
  • Comic books which depict any illegal acts are banned.
  • Citizens may not publicly remove bandages.
  • Not only do all exterior painting jobs require a permit (for color) but, for instance, the City went to Appeals Court over the exact type of division inside a window frame.
  • If you have a water trough in your front yard it must be filled by 5:00 a.
  • It is illegal to show public affection on Sunday.
  • It is illegal for clear or non-dark sodas to contain caffeine. Repealed
  • No one in Canada may watch or listen to an encrypted broadcast which is not licensed by the Canadian government.
  • Homeowners are responsible for clearing snow off of municipal sidewalks in front of their house or business.
  • It is considered an offense to have more than two materials on the outside of one’s house.
  • Businesses must provide rails for tying up horses.
  • It is illegal to kill a sick person by frightening them.
  • The city is classified as a no-pee zone.
  • You may not own a log cabin.
  • Wooden logs may not be painted.
  • Businesses must provide rails for tying up horses. (this one makes sense during the Calgary Stampede LOL)
Adalaide Mentor

So it is illegal to crash two trains into each other? Isn't that more of a common sense sort of thing?

The who Utah booze thing isn't particularly new, it was only in the news recently because some lawmakers attempted to repeal it last session. I have most commonly heard it referred to as the zion curtain. The rules around this are actually much more lax than they used to be. Several years ago bars had to be considered "private clubs" and sell a "membership" even if it was only a one night membership and were only allowed to sell drinks to members, and only members were allowed in by law. This law was repealed I believe in 2009 (I remember this because it got repealed at the same time I quit drinking....  <_<) which is the same year the zion curtain law was passed, which then took effect in 2010. It was a trade off, petty politics of you win yours we win ours.

Adalaide Mentor

I grew up in PA so I know more about fun laws there.

For instance, it is illegal to use dynamite to catch fish. This may seem like a stupid law... but if you think it is unnecessary you obviously have never been to rural PA! :lol:

Rowena Rising Star

So it is illegal to crash two trains into each other? Isn't that more of a common sense sort of thing?

The who Utah booze thing isn't particularly new, it was only in the news recently because some lawmakers attempted to repeal it last session. I have most commonly heard it referred to as the zion curtain. The rules around this are actually much more lax than they used to be. Several years ago bars had to be considered "private clubs" and sell a "membership" even if it was only a one night membership and were only allowed to sell drinks to members, and only members were allowed in by law. This law was repealed I believe in 2009 (I remember this because it got repealed at the same time I quit drinking....  <_<) which is the same year the zion curtain law was passed, which then took effect in 2010. It was a trade off, petty politics of you win yours we win ours.

ZION Curtain!  I knew I was getting it wrong!  Silly me.  And really they tried to repeal the Zion curtain?  Did it get repealed?  (I didn't read about it recently, I just think its funny really so I love bringing it up).  But yeah, Utah has strange booze laws IMO, and I don't even drink!  Wait?  It was worse?  Wow... talk about living in Mormonville!  (I don't drink so it doesn't bother me too much, I just think its ridiculous)

nvsmom - HAHAHA I especially love the witchcraft one!  I'm sure it dates back to the times of the Salem Witch trials in the US where everywhere people were scared of witches.  (I would presume Canada had some times that were similar, but I'm not too familiar with Canadian history)  But still funny!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 month later...
cherries Newbie

Here are some dumb laws from Michigan. My thoughts on some of them too.

Persons may not be drunk on trains.

Willfully destroying your old radio is prohibited. Why would I destroy a radio if it still works? I could give it away to salvation army and let somebody else get some joy out of it.

It is legal for a robber to file a law suit, if he or she got hurt in your house. Isn't that like kicking you when your already down?

LauraTX Rising Star

In Fort Worth, TX, a family was on the news recently because they were throwing a rowdy house party and were rude to the police, so they went out and ticketed every vehicle that was parked and did not have the parking brake engaged.  Technically it is state law you have to put your parking brake on, along with removing the keys etc.  Also in Texas, if you leave the keys in your vehicle/leave it running and it gets stolen, it is considered owner-involved theft and they will not investigate it the same, and some insurances will not pay your claim.  But that makes sense to me :)  

Also in certain cities and areas, they are considered "dry".  To order alcohol in a restaurant you have to join a free "club" first.  So you just fill out a little card with your name, they let you keep half and you show it when you go to any restaurant in that area because all the restaurants are branches of the same club.

Some cities also have antiquated profanity laws, that they basically only use if you are being an a--hole at city council meetings or they have nothing else to charge you with.  :)

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Here are some dumb laws from Michigan. My thoughts on some of them too.

Persons may not be drunk on trains.

Willfully destroying your old radio is prohibited. Why would I destroy a radio if it still works? I could give it away to salvation army and let somebody else get some joy out of it.

It is legal for a robber to file a law suit, if he or she got hurt in your house. Isn't that like kicking you when your already down?

Given how many reports I've seen of people suing-and winning!- because they were hurt in the process

of committing a crime, I wish EVERY state had this law!

kareng Grand Master

Given how many reports I've seen of people suing-and winning!- because they were hurt in the process

of committing a crime, I wish EVERY state had this law!

Just curious...why do you think its a good law that allows a criminal to sue the victim?  If someone cuts himself breaking a window to come into my house and rob us or worse, why is that my fault?

Just curious...why do you think its a good law that allows a criminal to sue the victim?  If someone cuts himself breaking a window to come into my house and rob us or worse, why is that my fault?

I'm apparently visually challenged, I thought it said 'illegal'. That's what I get for posting on

no sleep :huh:

kareng Grand Master

I'm apparently visually challenged, I thought it said 'illegal'. That's what I get for posting on

no sleep :huh:

Glad to know you haven't completely lost your mind! Now get some sleep!

No, I don't think that if someone breaks into my house and stubs their toe on the

way out with MY STUFF then they should be able to sue me!

I'll try to avoid 'posting impaired' in the future lolz....

Juliebove Rising Star

I grew up in PA so I know more about fun laws there.

For instance, it is illegal to use dynamite to catch fish. This may seem like a stupid law... but if you think it is unnecessary you obviously have never been to rural PA! :lol:

I have heard stories and they did involve fish!

Rowena Rising Star

Hahahaha these are hilarious!

Archived