2 replies to this topic

#1 Mamacita Sasso

Mamacita Sasso

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:05 AM

Anyone have suggestions for gluten free dining out in the University of Alabama area? I'm dropping my daughter off at college and will be in the area for 24 hours or so.  Thanks in advance!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 notme!

notme!

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:38 AM

i am planning to go down there for a few days - trucking stuff - and i was looking around on the web a little.  i have a ton of friends down there but i'm pretty sure they have no clue  :(  bummer, too, because his boss always takes a bunch of us out to dinner.

nice people down there and i know a bunch of people who went to u of a.  (although, technically, i am not allowed to say anything nice about alabama as i am a UT fan :D  GO BIG ORANGE lolz)  i hope she will like it there!  

i am not going until the weather gets cooler, so let me know if you find anything/anyplace good.  ima ask around down there and if they know anything, i'll post it.  doubtful, but i have ever been surprised :)

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Mamacita Sasso

Mamacita Sasso

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:32 AM

i am planning to go down there for a few days - trucking stuff - and i was looking around on the web a little.  i have a ton of friends down there but i'm pretty sure they have no clue   :(  bummer, too, because his boss always takes a bunch of us out to dinner.

nice people down there and i know a bunch of people who went to u of a.  (although, technically, i am not allowed to say anything nice about alabama as i am a UT fan :D  GO BIG ORANGE lolz)  i hope she will like it there!  

i am not going until the weather gets cooler, so let me know if you find anything/anyplace good.  ima ask around down there and if they know anything, i'll post it.  doubtful, but i have ever been surprised :)

I'm happy to report the area around University of Alabama is well-versed in the gluten free arts!  We ate at the Mellow Mushroom on University Blvd the first night. A large, thin crust pizza easily feeds 2 people. I noted a good selection of gluten-free ciders and ales on the menu. The staff did announce there was a gluten free order and took the appropriate precautions. My daughter loved the atmosphere and will definitely go back with friends.

The next day we had lunch at Jason's Deli on McFarland Blvd in Tuscaloosa. I was happily surprised to see they had Udi's bread displayed prominently and it was a large loaf, unlike the small loaves available in my local supermarkets and health food stores. There is a gluten sensitive menu which made choosing just one sandwich difficult! I went with the chicken salad and really enjoyed the ease of ordering and not feeling "different" because of being gluten free. They also served hot meals and had a large salad bar. 2 thumbs up for this place.

I'm back home now and glad to say I had an event free trip in Alabama.

Roll Tide!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: