21 replies to this topic

#16 Veghead1234

Veghead1234

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:14 AM

But you will know by her follow-up tests if you are doing enough.  Her antibody levels will come down and eventually be in the negative range.

http://www.curecelia...p-testing-occur

Yes, that's part of the reason I worry. Her first test of course was off the charts (way above 100, the doc said). Second test went to 17, third to 11. Doc says the normal range is 4 or less, and it seems to be taking so long to get there! It makes me wonder what she might be getting that's glutinous, or if it just takes a long time? It's already been a year and a half.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:18 AM

Yes, that's part of the reason I worry. Her first test of course was off the charts (way above 100, the doc said). Second test went to 17, third to 11. Doc says the normal range is 4 or less, and it seems to be taking so long to get there! It makes me wonder what she might be getting that's glutinous, or if it just takes a long time? It's already been a year and a half.

Have you actually seen that blood work and the range?  I'm wondering if the "normal range" is really 0-19?  Something to check.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#18 Veghead1234

Veghead1234

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:22 AM

Have you actually seen that blood work and the range?  I'm wondering if the "normal range" is really 0-19?  Something to check.

That is an excellent question. I have seen people say under 20 is normal. I haven't seen the paperwork that comes back from the lab, and I'm not sure what the antibody is that they're measuring. I also wonder if the standard is different for children. Maybe that's why he says it should be under 4? I'm not even sure how to get that paperwork. Maybe I can ask for copies next time we go to the doc. I think she has an appointment coming up pretty soon.

#19 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:29 AM

The reference ranges vary by test, and by the lab doing the test. So you really need to have the range information from the lab that did the test to be sure what the number means.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#20 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:32 AM

That is an excellent question. I have seen people say under 20 is normal. I haven't seen the paperwork that comes back from the lab, and I'm not sure what the antibody is that they're measuring. I also wonder if the standard is different for children. Maybe that's why he says it should be under 4? I'm not even sure how to get that paperwork. Maybe I can ask for copies next time we go to the doc. I think she has an appointment coming up pretty soon.

Just ask for copies.  Every time you have a test run, ask for copies to keep in a notebook. 

Like Peter said, the reference ranges are different by lab and test.  Because US doctors now so little about Celiac (but some think they know a lot :wacko: ), you should be checking these tests with your own eyeballs. 

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#21 Veghead1234

Veghead1234

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:48 AM

Very good points! I think her doc is knowledgeable, but I've had doctors in the past that "seem" to know what they're doing, and it turns out they don't at all! So I should definitely be checking up on him. I'll have the office send me over copies of the lab work. That would give me some peace of mind. 

#22 TGK112

TGK112

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:02 PM

My experiences at Red Robin have been great! They have a dedicated section for preparing their burgers and all fries are gluten free - the fries are made in a dedicated fryer. Five guys is good too - especially for fries. I was dismayed though - when I was there last time, I told the server my situation, told her that I brought my own bun. The good part - she offered to change her gloves. The bad part - she told me that she thought she had heard that their buns were gluten free :( 

I told her - I don't think so!! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: