Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Ask: What Does Everyone Use To Keep Track Of Good gluten-free Options At Restaurants?

restaurants technology gluten free

• Please log in to reply

7 replies to this topic

#1 BKSenior

BKSenior

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:30 AM

Hey guys, my name is Brandon and I am new here.  I have recently been MUCH more cognizant of gluten to help my digestive process.  I became so interested in simplifying avoiding it that I started building tools to help me keep track of restaurants (my backgrounds in software) with good choices.  

I am curious what you all use to help with this? It seems like there are a ton of choices out there. Anything that is really good or really bad?

Looking forward to hearing,

Brandon

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Darissa

Darissa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:35 AM

I would be interested in this also! I'm not good at keeping things organized! Can't wait for some helpful ideas!

#3 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:16 PM

I go to findmeglutenfree.com.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#4 GlutenStinks15

GlutenStinks15

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:04 AM

Yes, findmeglutenfree.com, and there is an app for your cell phone also.

Celiac disease April 2013 -- so glad I got answers and can heal now.

Love Red Apple Lipstick!

#5 plumbago

plumbago

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:59 AM

I keep a running Word document going, with notes, about gluten-free restaurants I've been to and/or know about. Oh, and of course, the restaurant itself is not gluten-free, there are supposedly just gluten-free options at them. 

If you are talking about discovering what else is out there that I don't know about, then I usually do a google search or find out from the local Yahoo list for Celiacs.

#6 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:33 AM

I cannot fathom having options, let alone enough to track! The nearest safe place for me to eat is 300 miles away. Thank goodness I am so passionate about cooking!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#7 Shelby_Alison

Shelby_Alison

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

The FindMeGlutenFree app is definitely my favorite! It also has reviews from others on their success with the certain food or restaurant. Very helpful.    

#8 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:53 PM

I do what plumbago does, but I keep a running document as a saved draft in my email account, the top half I have to send to people who want to meet up for a meal and I email it to them with options, neighborhoods, fast food/sit down etc. I have on there a short paragraph like "just because it says gluten-free doesn't mean it is safe, CC blah blah"  The bottom half is my notations like what I can eat and such.  I will probably need to put it in a word file soon, it is getting bigger as I become more comfortable eating out.

The apps mentioned and even review sites help sometimes.  If you are on a webpage with a ton of reviews you can hit Ctrl+F and type in gluten, see if any good/bad reviews specifically mentioning that are on there.  If you can get a hold of another Celiac who lives in your area this is the best way to get fast info on where they eat, and start there.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: