48 replies to this topic

#1 tinydani

tinydani

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:06 AM

Hey everyone, I am new to celiac.com but not new with celiac disease. I have been dating my boyfriend of 1.5 year(s) and he has celiac disease. At first I did not at all understand the seriousness of this disease, so he was sick all the time from cross contamination and he wasn't as serious as he is now about being gluten free. Over time we have taken steps and precautions to avoid cross contamination. I know I do not have this disease, but being a significant other and trying to be supportive is pretty difficult at times. Celiac disease obviously limits the places we can go to eat and the things we can do and I just want to know how other celiacs go about travel, and doing activities?

I have changed my diet to a completley gluten free diet as we live together, and i clean the house at least once a week with vinegar to kill most of the gluten particles, he is that sensitive. I just feel right now he is letting his disease define him and monitor the things he does in his life and I think celiac disease has killed his spontaneity and I just want to help him and have fun and do "normal" things that other couples do for the most part.

I think I really phrased this wrong earlier so I edited. Thanks for tips!

Edited by tinydani, 07 August 2013 - 10:27 AM.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,123 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:13 AM

I think it gets better as you get your procedures/habits worked out.  Don't try to make a gluten food at the same time as a gluten-free food - its too stressful and difficult.  Might be easiest just to not have any gluten food in the house he lives in.

There are lots of things you can do that are not going out to dinner.  You just have to be creative.  Here are some ideas:

golf

golf driving range

min-golf

fishing

zoo

picnics (bring your gluten-free foods)

bowling

movie theater

find places to listen to music or see plays  - outdoor concerts, churches, colleges, high schools, coffee shops, jazz ":clubs"

go out for coffee/tea

go out for ice cream - Dairy Queen, Wendy's Frosty, TCBY, etc

hikes

walks in the park

shopping/window shopping

art galleries

museums

art fairs

Use the google function at the top right of the main forum page and use the word travel.  We have lots of travel discussions on here.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 NateJ

NateJ

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:01 AM

Its disheartening to hear this from a s/o but totally understandable.

I can't imagine the level of frustartion and annoyance from someone not celiac or gluten intolerant.

I liken it to dating or being married to a recovering alcoholic maybe, but still wanting to drink and socialize in bars, etc.

I guess the real heart of the matter here is if you care about him enough to make the sacrfices and lifestyle changes necessary to keep him healthy. If not, then don't waste each others time. Sounds blunt but its the truth.

I know from expereince with my daughter, that she is not willing to do this and has told me on numerous occassions how annoying and aggravating my condition is.

#4 howlnmad

howlnmad

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:33 AM

Wow, slow down a bit. First let me say that I don't but my wife does. It is possible to coexist and still live normal (someone needs to define that word) life. Your boyfriend needs to be searching for gluten-free places to eat or you can do it. He needs to put together a "go bag" with snacks, drinks and gluten-free stuff that he can bring along on road trips. We travel quite a bit and she hasn't starved yet. For long trips, pack a cooler for him.
As for the home, that takes a bit more control. Get rid of or seperate anything that may be CC. Ie, plastic containers, wooden utensils and anything porous. Glass and stainless or NEW plastics are your friends. Most of the gluten-free foods we prepare are just as good as those with gluten. On pasta nights, she makes hers then makes mine. Not that much trouble cuz we still share the same sauces. She has her own breads and lunchmeat and I have mine. The big thing is to have a spot in the kitchen where you can prep stuff and have a seperate cutting board and utensils. I kept the old nonstick pans for my use along with the o lol d wooden stuff. Clean up your area when done and remember to wash your hands.
Trust me, it's doable. I haven't killed her yet. I have zapped her a couple times early on (sorry sweetheart) but I'm getting better at paying attention to what I'm doing and how it may affect her. I get upset at times but it's at me for being stupid and noy thinking.

Just saying, don't give up yet, there's lots of support right here.

#5 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:42 AM

Celiac disease does limit where you can eat out, without eating greens drizzled in oil every time, but that's about it. there are hundreds of other things you could do together. Travel isn't hard as long as you get a kitchen in your room - it requires a bit of effort but thst's it.

I think the effort is the problem here. It sounds like he, you, or both, are not putting in the effort to make other activities possible. If you want to go out, you'll have to make it happen... and don't hint at it because I think men are blind to hints.  ;)  LOL

Good luck. i hope you both get out and enjoy summer.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:18 AM

I'm just going to be repeating, but I'm going to say it anyway. There is no reason for celiac to limit what you can and can't do other than your choice of restaurants. It may involve slightly more planning ahead, but that isn't the same as not being able to do things. If you keep a list of restaurants handy, and a go bag you don't even have to entirely give up the spontaneity. Just trying to think of the things around here we can do there are movies, a nicklecade, parks for picnics or long walks, mini-golf and go-karts. We have a zoo, planetarium, aquarium, museums and historical sites. And because it is summer one of my favorite things to do is go out for ice cream.

Last week we had a date night I guess... we went to the evening farmer's market. My husband got a waffle from the local waffle food truck, he said it was pretty amazing. I got a whole bag of produce. We walked around, looked at lots of things. Almost bought some shaved ice, then ordered pizza and came home. Maybe we're especially boring people, but we had a good time, and spent some time out of the house together. You don't need grand plans, just planning and doing plenty of little things will take the "we never do anything" edge off.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#7 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:36 AM

I'm going to be blunt. If you had a disease, let's say asthma, and he thought it was too "hard" to give up smoking around you or wearing his favorite cologne, if he found it difficult to plan activities for fear you might be exposed to perfumes or smoke, or pollen, or whatever else triggered you asthma, if he thought your relationship were BORING because of your limitations, would you still want to be in a relationship with this guy?

I think (as I said, I'm going to be blunt) you should let him go so he will have a chance to find someone who cares abut HIM rather than the "fun activities" you feel you are missing out on. And I hope you never find yourself in the position of being sick and having someone you care about think you're so boring that he just "can't take it".

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#8 tinydani

tinydani

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:14 AM

Its disheartening to hear this from a s/o but totally understandable.

I can't imagine the level of frustartion and annoyance from someone not celiac or gluten intolerant.

I liken it to dating or being married to a recovering alcoholic maybe, but still wanting to drink and socialize in bars, etc.

I guess the real heart of the matter here is if you care about him enough to make the sacrfices and lifestyle changes necessary to keep him healthy. If not, then don't waste each others time. Sounds blunt but its the truth.

I know from expereince with my daughter, that she is not willing to do this and has told me on numerous occassions how annoying and aggravating my condition is.

I have adopted a gluten free diet and i am lactose intolerant so we have been getting creative with food and thats been fine but lately he is just letting his disease rule over him hence we dont go anywhere and i mean its understandable because its a fear of getting sick but when all you do is go to work and be home... its not living and i cant handle being a slave to the american economy and not doing anything fun. what fun things do celiacs do that they do not get sick from and are inexpensive?

#9 tinydani

tinydani

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:20 AM

I'm going to be blunt. If you had a disease, let's say asthma, and he thought it was too "hard" to give up smoking around you or wearing his favorite cologne, if he found it difficult to plan activities for fear you might be exposed to perfumes or smoke, or pollen, or whatever else triggered you asthma, if he thought your relationship were BORING because of your limitations, would you still want to be in a relationship with this guy?

I think (as I said, I'm going to be blunt) you should let him go so he will have a chance to find someone who cares abut HIM rather than the "fun activities" you feel you are missing out on. And I hope you never find yourself in the position of being sick and having someone you care about think you're so boring that he just "can't take it".

Pretty sure you are misunderstanding me. I have changed my diet so he never gets sick, i sanitize the whole house with vinegar once a week to kill all gluten particles so he doesnt get sick, and asthma and celias disease are way completley different things in severity, so all i was asking dr.phil were activities celiacs do because he is letting his disease define him and the fear of getting sick is keeping him and I from enjoying activities together. so your bluntness was irrelevant. thank you.

#10 tinydani

tinydani

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:21 AM

I'm just going to be repeating, but I'm going to say it anyway. There is no reason for celiac to limit what you can and can't do other than your choice of restaurants. It may involve slightly more planning ahead, but that isn't the same as not being able to do things. If you keep a list of restaurants handy, and a go bag you don't even have to entirely give up the spontaneity. Just trying to think of the things around here we can do there are movies, a nicklecade, parks for picnics or long walks, mini-golf and go-karts. We have a zoo, planetarium, aquarium, museums and historical sites. And because it is summer one of my favorite things to do is go out for ice cream.

Last week we had a date night I guess... we went to the evening farmer's market. My husband got a waffle from the local waffle food truck, he said it was pretty amazing. I got a whole bag of produce. We walked around, looked at lots of things. Almost bought some shaved ice, then ordered pizza and came home. Maybe we're especially boring people, but we had a good time, and spent some time out of the house together. You don't need grand plans, just planning and doing plenty of little things will take the "we never do anything"

is it you that is celiac? if so do you get sick from cross contamination from your husband kissing you after he ate a waffle and from ordering pizza?

#11 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,123 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:27 AM

I have adopted a gluten free diet and i am lactose intolerant so we have been getting creative with food and thats been fine but lately he is just letting his disease rule over him hence we dont go anywhere and i mean its understandable because its a fear of getting sick but when all you do is go to work and be home... its not living and i cant handle being a slave to the american economy and not doing anything fun. what fun things do celiacs do that they do not get sick from and are inexpensive?

I think I listed a few things. You can look around where you live. Go to fairs, outdoor or indoor free music events.

If you were going to spend $20 to eat out, use it to go bowling instead or hit a bucket of golf balls.

High schools and colleges have concerts, sports events, plays, etc often pretty cheap. Eat before you go.

Go to the park - ride bikes, throw frisbees, walk, skip stones, fish, swing on the swings, etc.

Volunteer at an animal shelter if you like animals. A couple of 4 hour shifts on the weekends walking dogs could be fun.

Many areas have " destination stores". Big stores that are worth the trip and great for browsing - Bass, Cabelas, Nebraska Furniture mart, Ikea, Camping World, etc.

Eat then go to the bar and get a drink with friends or watch the game.

Try things you might not have normally done. You might find you both enjoy playing frisbee or following the high school football team.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#12 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:36 AM

we go EVERYWHERE and WE DO WHAT WE WANT!!  lolz - sometimes it's a pain (stuck in the airport in el paso with just a turkey sandwich with mayo - it's hot, i'm worried about the Only Thing I Have To Eat getting spoiled so i got a cup of ice and jammed the sammich into the cup - still wrapped - did just fine.  worried more than i needed to!)  my husband is wonderful in helping me to do all these things but i really think he did his 'hard time'  when i was undiagnosed for 20+ years.  talk about sick all the time!  

so, tinydani, where will he not go?  maybe we can set up a game plan :)

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#13 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:46 AM

is it you that is celiac? if so do you get sick from cross contamination from your husband kissing you after he ate a waffle and from ordering pizza?

Yes, I have celiac. I make my husband brush his teeth before he gets all kissy on me if he has been eating gluten. So he didn't kiss me after he ate his waffle. So what? And we just ordered separate pizzas. I have a place I can go to get pizza, more than one locally in fact. He has his two favorite places, which aren't mine. I picked up my pizza, he picked up his and we brought them home to eat.

We do whatever we want, which is in general all of the same activities we did before I was diagnosed. Actually even more now because I am healthier and more able to do things now than I was a few years ago. Of course I am not going out to eat at places like Kneaders, and I'm not going to go to a bread bakers convention or something. But besides some super obvious derp things, I don't restrict my activities at all based on the fact that I have some stupid disease. Other than what he is putting into his mouth there is no reason to restrict activities.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#14 tinydani

tinydani

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

we go EVERYWHERE and WE DO WHAT WE WANT!!  lolz - sometimes it's a pain (stuck in the airport in el paso with just a turkey sandwich with mayo - it's hot, i'm worried about the Only Thing I Have To Eat getting spoiled so i got a cup of ice and jammed the sammich into the cup - still wrapped - did just fine.  worried more than i needed to!)  my husband is wonderful in helping me to do all these things but i really think he did his 'hard time'  when i was undiagnosed for 20+ years.  talk about sick all the time!  

so, tinydani, where will he not go?  maybe we can set up a game plan

He willnot go get a drink, he knows that bartenders put straws in drinks and those straws are touched by gluteny hands and its like he is embarrassed he has celiac he wont tell them to not put a straw in it, he will not get coffee because of a similar situation and also alot of coffee syrups have caramel coloring and that makes him sick, and I think it is what someone on hear said previously its a lack of effort. I always want to do things and he either is to tired from work or just doesnt want to go. How do I get him out of his celiafunk?

#15 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:53 AM

He willnot go get a drink, he knows that bartenders put straws in drinks and those straws are touched by gluteny hands and its like he is embarrassed he has celiac he wont tell them to not put a straw in it, he will not get coffee because of a similar situation and also alot of coffee syrups have caramel coloring and that makes him sick, and I think it is what someone on hear said previously its a lack of effort. I always want to do things and he either is to tired from work or just doesnt want to go. How do I get him out of his celiafunk?

Suggest things that don't involve food? And try planning things on his days off? I know that I don't try to make plans on days that my husband works, even if it is a short shift. He works hard and I don't want to put more on him on an already hard day.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: