This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Tried A Ketogenic Or Modified Atkins Diet?

nvsmom

nvsmom Community Regular

I was wondering if anyone out there has tried the ketogenic diet or modified atkins diet? Both are VERY low carb (down to 20g of carbs a day) but the ketogenic diet has a higher fat to proetin ratio (4:1) than the MAD diet (1:1).

I have been doing a fair bit of reading lately (Fat Chance, and Good Calories Bad Calories) about the role of fats in our diet, and how excess carbohydrates are leading to health problems (obesity, diabetes, heart disease, alzheimers, cancer and benign tumours) so it has me considering changing my diet a bit and giving this a try for a few months at least.

I think it would be good for weight loss and also for reducing inflammation.  My blood sugar is at the top of the range and my insulin is getting close to being a problem. I could lose 20 pounds too. Cancer scares me (family history) as does heart disease, and I am close to being in the prediabetes range so something has to change.... well, I have changed my diet a fair bit already. I gave up my diet pepsi and M&M's and now eat a diet that is below average for sugar and carbs, and above average for protein and fat, and as a result I have already lost 15lbs without much effort.

I also have a possible health issue (unrelated to celiac disease) that could beneift from low carb/glucose diets. I'm waiting on tests this month to find out what is what.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has done it and what they thought? How did it go for you? What was your experience?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carla Spacher Rookie

I haven't tried the modified Atkins Diet, but have tried the Atkins diet. When I was on it, I developed a thyroid problem, which the book warned about. I find the a modified allergy elimination diet to be the best diet ever. I lost wait while still eating rice and potatoes. When I went to Dr. Vikki Petersen's office they suggest an allergy elimination diet for most of their patients. I found what they said to be true. When you avoid all of the foods that cause you any reaction (insomnia, bloating, headaches, etc.) you will be a healthy weight and feel good, too.

nvsmom Community Regular

Thanks for your input. :) I appreciate it, but I am looking into the MAD or ketogenic diets for health reasons mostly, the fact that I tend to lose weight when I cut carbs is an added bonus.

My interest in these diets has mostly to do with improving blood sugar levels and it's affect on tumours - tumours LOVE glucose and can not feed themselves well on a high fat diet so high fat and low carb diet.

I wasn't aware that it could impact a thyroid, but mine hardly works anyways. LOL ;)

jerseyangel Proficient

I'm on one now. I am doing this with the expectation that I can make it a lifestyle instead of a "diet".

The number one reason is that I have severely high blood pressure that despite two meds is uncontrolled. Five days eating no more than thirty grams of non starchy carbs a day and it was 117/76. At my last doctor visit, it was 160/100. It has been known to go as high as 200/100.

I welcome the weight loss, definitely, but I believe this way of eating is most compatible with my body. I have no hunger or cravings between meals, am calmer, clearer and have more energy.

nvsmom Community Regular

Patti, how low are you keeping your carbs? And are you doing keto or MAD, or just keeping carbs lower than most?  I'd love to know how long it took you to settle into the diet. I tend to get the shakes and light headed if I don't eat frequently enough, and I think it is some sort of hypoglycemic situation.  I am a bit concerned that dropping carbs will cause me to feel poorly for a while. I'm slowly edging my carbs downwards, but I'm wondering if it's just better to go for it.

Right now I'm almost at a 1:1:1 of carbs, fat and protein. Today (according to Fitness pal - really neat food tracker) I had 46g carbs, 65g fat, and 55g protein (calories were a bit low but I have an insulin test tomorrow and stopped eating early). As long as I eat nothing "white" like poatoes, rice, noodles or bread, it is pretty easy to keep carbs lower than most people. Getting carbs lower would be tough as I'd have to start giving up my fruit and veggies.

Anyway. it's great to hear it's working long term for you.  :) Good to know.

jerseyangel Proficient

nvsmom, I am doing Keto. My daily carbs top out right around 30 grams, give or take a very few. I personally find this level comfortable.

I started this way of eating on a Friday, and had some lightheadedness that first weekend. I expected it, and just took it easy. My appetite adjusted quickly, thank goodness.

I would say my adjustment period (switching from burning sugar to burning fat) took about a week. The lightheadedness and tiredness went away near the end of that first week, and I felt a lot better, in the ways I explained above.

On a typical day, my fat intake is around 85 grams, protein--70 grams and carbs--28-32 grams. I stay at 1500 calories or a bit under.

One of the most noticeable things I've discovered after the appetite saity, is that I never feel those hypoglycemic type symptoms you mentioned between meals. When I ate the starches, I most definitely had them.

Best of luck with it, I'd be happy to trade notes with you anytime :)

nvsmom Community Regular

Thanks again for you advice. I appreciate it!   :)

I think I've actually been experiencing some of the lower carb symptoms/withdrawal already. I've had a headache for a few days and I just clued in today that maybe it was my dietary adjustments already. At first I just thought it was a really early pms symptom.  LOL

That's great to hear about the hypoglycemic symptoms fading.   :) I worry a bit about the first week, but it's good to hear that I could be worrying without need.  

I guess my worry is mostly based on the unknown - sort of like how it is so hard to imagine going gluten-free and df at first, but then it turns out not to be that difficult in the long run, just during that adjustment phase in the first month. :)

I may take you up on you offer to trade notes in the future.. Thanks.  Oh!  If you have any tips for great websites on keto management or recipes, or useful food tracking tools, I would love to know about them just in case I miss it during my keto googling.

Thanks again.

Editted to ask: Did you ever bother with ketostix to measure ketones in the urine? Looks like a fun tool...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi nvsmom, how are you doing?

I did buy a bottle of Keto sticks because I was curious. I consistently show positive, but I realize that means that I'm burning fat for fuel--but it could be either stored or dietary-- or a mixture of both.

I read "How I Gave Up My Low Fat Diet and Lost 40 Pounds" by Dana Carpender, and enjoyed the quick and easy to understand read. She also has a website called "Hold the Toast" which has resources but isn't the greatest.

I use My Fitness Pal also but just to plug foods in to get a general idea of the fat/ protein/carbs I'm eating. I don't follow a specific plan, just try to stay in my parameters.

Interesting thing-- we went out with friends Monday night and I planned to have a glass of wine. The 3 carbs were included in my total for the day, but sure enough, when I got home the stick showed negative. By the next morning, I was back in the positive range for ketosis.

I had read that alcohol does not stop Ketosis, but postpones it-- and my test bore that out. Evidently, the body will burn alcohol for fuel first, before resuming with the fat or carbs, which ever is available.

One tip, do drink plenty of water!

nvsmom Community Regular

Hi Patti. I'm doing okay but I doubt I am staying in ketosis if I hit it. My carbs are usually closer to 20% at about 50 or so grams. I actually am pms'ing now so starting low carb is harder than I should be. LOL

I will look into that book. I'm a book junkie and love to read about a topic through different approaches. I think I will look for ketostix too, once I get my fat to carb ratio better than 2:1. I am moving slowly on this though so it won't happen soon. May be in September.

jerseyangel Proficient

I understand. Read up on it and how the body actually uses the various fuels we put into it and do what feels right for you. :)

maile Newbie

One aid to lessen the "low carb flu" that many experience when going Keto or MAD (anything sub 50g carb) is to ensure that sodium intake is increased. first couple of weeks of Keto or Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) the body does shed quite a bit of stored fluid as glycogen stores are used up, along with this is sodium which causes a bit of an electrolyte imbalance.

by adding a tsp of sea salt to your diet (salty lemonade made with stevia is a good way to get it in, or bone broth) you can feel a heck of a lot better while transitioning.

If you haven't yet try and read a copy of Phinney and Volek's book "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" the information about sodium etc is in there.

jerseyangel Proficient

Yes! I found adding more sea salt helped considerably.

nvsmom Community Regular

Oooh! I had no idea! Thank you!

I've tried to find that book through our library system and it's not available. Maybe I'll look to buy it. Thanks!  :)

Chad Sines Rising Star

My body loves low carb. I am hypoglycemic. Eliminating caffeine is a big help as well since it does mess with blood sugar. The more stable you keep it, the better. I have noticed that it is a lot easier to crash it especially in the beginning of your body adjusting to it and caffeine is the biggest cause for me. 

I do paleo and love it. I aim for 25-30 grams carbs. 

jerseyangel Proficient

I love it too. My cravings have absolutely disappeared, and there are times I have to remind myself to eat.

Tracking my carbs has led to my tracking calories for the first time in my life, and it was a real eye opener to realize I was putting away 2600 or more calories a day before, including around 200 grams of carbs.

My present calorie goal daily is 1500, but most days I add in healthy fats to reach at least 1200. 25-35 grams of carbs seems to be what's right for me.

nvsmom Community Regular

Oops. Went high carb this weekend because we were travelling and staying with relatives and I did not plan ahead enough to do well... And boy, do I have the head ache to go along with all those muffins.  I'll switch back tomorrow, and probably feel poorly again.  LOL Live and learn.

Cattknap Rookie

I was diagnosed with Celiac about 2 1/2 years ago (diagnosed via 3 different blood tests by 2 different doctors and biopsy).  About 18 months ago I began a vegan diet, lost 75 lbs., stopped eating any sugar other than what is in fruit/veggies naturally, began exercising regularly, started taking probiotics daily and now have normal digestion, dropped my cholesterol by 60 points, have perfect blood pressure, etc.  I am 5'9 and weight 130 lbs. and now eat a mostly plant based diet (I eat salmon once a week and nonfat Greek yogurt 3 times a week - other than that, I eat no animal products)...I did this for health reasons and feel and look better than I have for many years.  I eat 2 to 3 pieces of gluten free bread per week, no sugar, pasta once every 6 weeks or so, very little oil, no margarine - I sauté in broth or water.

This is the best thing I have ever done for my health, my digestion, my joints, etc.

Chad Sines Rising Star

I went vegetarian for 3 months and then vegan for three. Gained 30 pounds even though I ate what I was supposed to. Was always so hungry. Had a hard time getting the protein and all that vegetable matter killed my GI even with digestive enzymes. Funny how we are all so different.

CR5442 Contributor

I follow a wholefood diet - meat, some fish, veggies and fruit.  I have just cut out rice again as I think it was making my last glutening symptoms worse.  I use only olive and sunflower oil.  No dairy as I'm IgG intolerant.  It really does work for me.  First day in ages that I haven't had brain fog after cutting the rice!

nvsmom Community Regular

I was diagnosed with Celiac about 2 1/2 years ago (diagnosed via 3 different blood tests by 2 different doctors and biopsy).  About 18 months ago I began a vegan diet, lost 75 lbs., stopped eating any sugar other than what is in fruit/veggies naturally, began exercising regularly, started taking probiotics daily and now have normal digestion, dropped my cholesterol by 60 points, have perfect blood pressure, etc.  I am 5'9 and weight 130 lbs. and now eat a mostly plant based diet (I eat salmon once a week and nonfat Greek yogurt 3 times a week - other than that, I eat no animal products)...I did this for health reasons and feel and look better than I have for many years.  I eat 2 to 3 pieces of gluten free bread per week, no sugar, pasta once every 6 weeks or so, very little oil, no margarine - I sauté in broth or water.

This is the best thing I have ever done for my health, my digestion, my joints, etc.

I have a good friend who is basically vegan and she is doing well with it too. It just has no appeal for me though.  I don't get full on veggies, and it isn't as satisfying to me. I know that I gain weight on starches and tend to get heavy feeling, so if I went vegetarian without starches or dairy, I think I would feel quite unsatisfied.  I like my fats and proteins... and I love sugar but it is evil.   ;)

My joint pains started while on that diet/way of eating. I am pretty sure mine was celiac linked though....

I went vegetarian for 3 months and then vegan for three. Gained 30 pounds even though I ate what I was supposed to. Was always so hungry. Had a hard time getting the protein and all that vegetable matter killed my GI even with digestive enzymes. Funny how we are all so different.

I was almost a vegetarian during university (due to cost and time to cook) and I was fairly slim but school was a 2km walk one way, and I was in the weight room everyday and on a rowing team.... and 20 years younger.  LOL As soon as the exercise stopped, I gained weight eating that way too... but I was eating a lot of pasta at the time.

I follow a wholefood diet - meat, some fish, veggies and fruit.  I have just cut out rice again as I think it was making my last glutening symptoms worse.  I use only olive and sunflower oil.  No dairy as I'm IgG intolerant.  It really does work for me.  First day in ages that I haven't had brain fog after cutting the rice!

I eat mostly whole foods too...mostly. I tend to limit my vegetable oils (most are very processed) and go with lard, or coconut oil. I do a bit better without rice too but I don't seem to have a sensitivity to it, luckily.   :)

I think whole foods are the way to go. Minimal foods with bar codes, right?   :D

Archived