Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Tried A Ketogenic Or Modified Atkins Diet?

• Please log in to reply

19 replies to this topic

#16 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:25 PM

Oops. Went high carb this weekend because we were travelling and staying with relatives and I did not plan ahead enough to do well... And boy, do I have the head ache to go along with all those muffins.  I'll switch back tomorrow, and probably feel poorly again.  LOL Live and learn.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Cattknap

Cattknap

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

I was diagnosed with Celiac about 2 1/2 years ago (diagnosed via 3 different blood tests by 2 different doctors and biopsy).  About 18 months ago I began a vegan diet, lost 75 lbs., stopped eating any sugar other than what is in fruit/veggies naturally, began exercising regularly, started taking probiotics daily and now have normal digestion, dropped my cholesterol by 60 points, have perfect blood pressure, etc.  I am 5'9 and weight 130 lbs. and now eat a mostly plant based diet (I eat salmon once a week and nonfat Greek yogurt 3 times a week - other than that, I eat no animal products)...I did this for health reasons and feel and look better than I have for many years.  I eat 2 to 3 pieces of gluten free bread per week, no sugar, pasta once every 6 weeks or so, very little oil, no margarine - I sauté in broth or water.

This is the best thing I have ever done for my health, my digestion, my joints, etc.

#18 Chad Sines

Chad Sines

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:03 PM

I went vegetarian for 3 months and then vegan for three. Gained 30 pounds even though I ate what I was supposed to. Was always so hungry. Had a hard time getting the protein and all that vegetable matter killed my GI even with digestive enzymes. Funny how we are all so different.

#19 CR5442

CR5442

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:47 AM

I follow a wholefood diet - meat, some fish, veggies and fruit.  I have just cut out rice again as I think it was making my last glutening symptoms worse.  I use only olive and sunflower oil.  No dairy as I'm IgG intolerant.  It really does work for me.  First day in ages that I haven't had brain fog after cutting the rice!

#20 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:14 AM

I was diagnosed with Celiac about 2 1/2 years ago (diagnosed via 3 different blood tests by 2 different doctors and biopsy).  About 18 months ago I began a vegan diet, lost 75 lbs., stopped eating any sugar other than what is in fruit/veggies naturally, began exercising regularly, started taking probiotics daily and now have normal digestion, dropped my cholesterol by 60 points, have perfect blood pressure, etc.  I am 5'9 and weight 130 lbs. and now eat a mostly plant based diet (I eat salmon once a week and nonfat Greek yogurt 3 times a week - other than that, I eat no animal products)...I did this for health reasons and feel and look better than I have for many years.  I eat 2 to 3 pieces of gluten free bread per week, no sugar, pasta once every 6 weeks or so, very little oil, no margarine - I sauté in broth or water.

This is the best thing I have ever done for my health, my digestion, my joints, etc.

I have a good friend who is basically vegan and she is doing well with it too. It just has no appeal for me though.  I don't get full on veggies, and it isn't as satisfying to me. I know that I gain weight on starches and tend to get heavy feeling, so if I went vegetarian without starches or dairy, I think I would feel quite unsatisfied.  I like my fats and proteins... and I love sugar but it is evil.   ;)

My joint pains started while on that diet/way of eating. I am pretty sure mine was celiac linked though....

I went vegetarian for 3 months and then vegan for three. Gained 30 pounds even though I ate what I was supposed to. Was always so hungry. Had a hard time getting the protein and all that vegetable matter killed my GI even with digestive enzymes. Funny how we are all so different.

I was almost a vegetarian during university (due to cost and time to cook) and I was fairly slim but school was a 2km walk one way, and I was in the weight room everyday and on a rowing team.... and 20 years younger.  LOL As soon as the exercise stopped, I gained weight eating that way too... but I was eating a lot of pasta at the time.

I follow a wholefood diet - meat, some fish, veggies and fruit.  I have just cut out rice again as I think it was making my last glutening symptoms worse.  I use only olive and sunflower oil.  No dairy as I'm IgG intolerant.  It really does work for me.  First day in ages that I haven't had brain fog after cutting the rice!

I eat mostly whole foods too...mostly. I tend to limit my vegetable oils (most are very processed) and go with lard, or coconut oil. I do a bit better without rice too but I don't seem to have a sensitivity to it, luckily.   :)

I think whole foods are the way to go. Minimal foods with bar codes, right?   :D

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: