2 replies to this topic

#1 Rowena

Rowena

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

So now that I've a lactose intolerance officially dx'd but I also suspect a casein allergy/intolerance (they only tested for lactose strangely... oh well.), I have to change what milk I get through WIC... But they don't do rice milk, nor do they do soy based alternatives, at least not for the moms... I'm SCREWED because I'm fairly certain I won't handle lactose-free milk thanks to casein, but I absolutely cannot handle goats milk.  (Believe me I've tried... I have NO control over my bowel now thanks to the goat milk.)   Evidently goats milk still has lactose but supposedly its easier to digest... I think I might just tell them to take milk off my checks period... cause I don't even want to RISK the lactose free milk...

Opinions?  What do you all drink/use?

Gluten Free since Oct. 1, 2010
Fish/Seafood Free since 1997
Chocolate Free (with a few taste tests to see if I'm just crazy) since 2001.
Officially Dairy free 8/5/2013 (mostly dairy free before that, but I like my cheese and things) (dx'd officially with lactose intolerance, suspect casein too though)
Esophagitis dx'd 8/5/2013 thus doing a diet devoid of acidic foods and stuff

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:43 AM

I'm not on WIC but I can't have dairy.  I never liked milk so never drink it.  Not any kind of milk.  And I find that I don't need it for anything.  I sometimes use broth to make mashed potatoes.  That is what some Jewish people do.  Would add olive oil or Nucoa margarine because there is no dairy in it.  And that worked okay if I was serving it with meat but eventually I grew tired of the taste of it.  Now I make instant mashed potatoes with only water for the liquid.  I do add a little extra salt and pepper for better flavor and sometimes I will caramelize some onions in a little olive oil and add those.  Yummy!

If I eat cereal?  I just eat it dry.  Always have eaten it like that so no biggie.  For baking, you can usually just sub in water.  Milk will make bread more tender but...  I never had much luck with most gluten-free baking, perhaps because I can't have eggs either.

Once in a while I will have a recipe that does call for milk.  Such as the vegan stuffed potatoes.  I believe the orginal recipe called for soy milk but I try not to eat much soy.  Yes, it's in the Nucoa and most restaurants use it for cooking so that's enough for me.  So what I use for those is rice milk which I buy when it is on sale.  I found large cartons recently for only 99 cents.  I used part of the carton for two different recipes and froze the rest.  Not sure how well it freezes, but I'll see.  I really use milk so little that I probably only buy one or two cartons a year.  So it's not a biggie for me.

Some people use fruit juice on cereal.  I've not tried that.  I'm not a big cereal lover to begin with and when I do eat it, I don't want it to get soft and soggy.

#3 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:46 AM

I have been using coconut milk and nut milks.  It doesn't sound like WIC has them.  I hope you are able to work out a substitute especially if they have those alternates for children.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: