25 replies to this topic

#1 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:31 PM

I have been considering trying some new types of cheese. I normally like cheddar (mild is okay, medium is my favorite, and sharp is okay), mozzarella, Parmesan, and American slice cheese. I do not like blue cheeses or goats cheeses.

Any suggestions for me?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:22 PM

Do you like ricotta? I make my own. Easy peasy. Delicious in stuffed pastas, lasagne, etc. Have you tried applewood smoked cheddar? Swiss? Gouda? Emmenthal? Edam? Caerphilly from Wales is lovely. Wensleydale is awesome.

As you like mild, you may like havarti, Monterey Jack and English cheddar (much nicer than American IMHO). Provolone is a very mild melting cheese. If you have not tried true mozzarella, it will be a revelation. Buffalo milk mozzarella is hard to find as the real stuff is only made in one region in Italy but some specialty cheese shops have it. Have you had feta?

I also love romano, pecorino, Humboldt fog, truffle cheese, etc. My cheese loves list is verrrrry long.

I own several books on cheeses including encyclopedias!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:26 AM

Love2travel and I are both big cheese lovers and I also enjoy a wide variety of them, but since it seems you prefer more mild cheeses,

maybe you could try some crumbled feta sprinkled on your salad. (and because you do not like goat's milk, make sure you select a cow's milk feta). I make a brown rice tortilla wrap with feta, diced cukes, marinated red peppers, red onion, kalamata olives and a dash of balsamic vinegar for lunch. Yum.  throw some diced chicken in there, if you like.

I know you're a college student and have a budget, so  some cheeses may be too pricey right now. Keeping that in mind, I'll suggest a splurge on one of these sometime:

A chunk of smoked gouda with apple slices or sesame crackers is really delicious.

Have you tried a melted brie? spread it on crackers and sprinkle with chopped almonds. Or, get a small jar of fig jam, spread the jam on the cracker, then spread on some brie. Very yum. 

I agree with the suggestion of trying some fresh mozzarella.  Get yourself a ball of it (it will be packed in water) slice it thin, add a slice of tomato and sprinkle with some basil, and a dash of balsamic vinegar and a slice of bread and you've got lunch.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,954 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:24 AM

if  you  have  a  Costco or  sam's  club  try  Dubliner........imported...

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:29 AM

if  you  have  a  Costco or  sam's  club  try  Dubliner........imported...

oh gosh, yes....That's in my fridge.  ;) that's some good stuff, right mama!!?? yum

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#6 kareng

kareng

Dispeller of Shady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,003 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:42 AM

Was just in the Osceola cheese factory store! Those people will put most anything in cheese and then smoke it! We got a cheese with blueberries in it, a smoked Swiss, a ghost pepper cheese and something else got snuck in there I didn't see. Ghost pepper is supposed to be the hottest pepper around.

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:48 AM

cool! I've had blueberry goat cheese and it is yumsters!

ghost cheese....sounds scary....get it? scary. :mellow: how hot is it, K??

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#8 kareng

kareng

Dispeller of Shady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,003 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:49 AM

cool! I've had blueberry goat cheese and it is yumsters! ghost cheese....sounds scary....get it? scary. :mellow: how hot is it, K??

I don't know. I'm not tasting it. It seems to be Ok in the cooler so far.

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

LTES

#9 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:54 AM

I don't know. I'm not tasting it. It seems to be Ok in the cooler so far.

well, if it hasn't melted the ice....or the sides of the cooler...yet.....might be okay. lol 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#10 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:56 AM

Sounds like a great weapon. "DO AS I SAY, OR IT'S THE CHEESE FOR YOU!!!" :o  :lol: 

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:58 AM

:lol:  :lol:  better than the old bar of soap thinger

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#12 kareng

kareng

Dispeller of Shady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,003 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:59 AM

My kids are the ones that want the cheese!

LTES

#13 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:05 PM

My kids are the ones that want the cheese!

:lol:  well, they can use it for punishing mommy when she is bad then.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#14 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:29 PM

cool! I've had blueberry goat cheese and it is yumsters!

ghost cheese....sounds scary....get it? scary. :mellow: how hot is it, K??

The hottest pepper thinger on the planet. Cannot recall how many Scoville units...
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#15 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:38 PM

The hottest pepper thinger on the planet. Cannot recall how many Scoville units...

holy crappers! Not sure I even want to try.. 

Moving-picture-dragon-breathing-fire-ani

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: