28 replies to this topic

#1 KMMO320

KMMO320

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:20 AM

Sometimes, I get too comfortable and am not as vigilant as I should be. A few days ago, the restaurant I work at got a different type of potato chips and I grabbed a bag, just totally not thinking anything. an hour later, I had a screaming headache and when I got home, I took a nap. Later that night at my daughter's cheer practice, I whipped out a second bag that I brought home and started eating. Bored, I read the bag. Where it says Allergen information, it only started soy..nothing about wheat or gluten like a lot of products will say. so I read the actual ingredients, and there it was...Malt (Barley extract). I spit the chips out and threw them away. 

I was sick all that night and all the next day and night. 

Which brings me to today. I am still a little groggy feeling but much, much better. Almost a year gluten-free and I am still making rookie mistakes. I have to stop being too comfortable with what I "think" to be gluten-free. 

Just a reminder to all the still newly diagnosed like myself, always be vigilant!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:55 AM

Oops, yeah always read the label like you said.  The last one I missed was bottled water.  I found eventually that it had added ingredients, but thankfully none disagreed with me.  Shew! 

I had seen one brand of  bottled water with wheat added several months back.  Just to clarify, I haven't found any since, so I think it is unusual.

D

#3 flowerqueen

flowerqueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:27 AM

Oops, yeah always read the label like you said.  The last one I missed was bottled water.  I found eventually that it had added ingredients, but thankfully none disagreed with me.  Shew!  I had seen bottled water with wheat added before.

D

Bottled water with wheat? My goodness, I'm never come across that one before! Thanks for the warning!
Under active thyroid; diabetic; hiatus hernia; acid reflux; dairy intolerant; arthritis; sciatica due to spine degeneration; diagnosed with coeliac disease November 2011; fibromyalgia; allergic to Thyme & MSG and alcohol. Allergic to TCP antiseptic, and plasters. Taking medication for severe muscle spasms in upper back.
Despite all, remaining positive!

#4 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:26 PM

I had seen bottled water with wheat added before.

D

diana.  what brand of bottled water has wheat in it.  ???????????????????????????  

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:33 PM

Oops, yeah always read the label like you said.  The last one I missed was bottled water.  I found eventually that it had added ingredients, but thankfully none disagreed with me.  Shew!  I had seen bottled water with wheat added before.

D

what?? holy smokes.....that's not at all "usual."....are you sure?? name the brand please!!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:34 PM

Sometimes, I get too comfortable and am not as vigilant as I should be. A few days ago, the restaurant I work at got a different type of potato chips and I grabbed a bag, just totally not thinking anything. an hour later, I had a screaming headache and when I got home, I took a nap. Later that night at my daughter's cheer practice, I whipped out a second bag that I brought home and started eating. Bored, I read the bag. Where it says Allergen information, it only started soy..nothing about wheat or gluten like a lot of products will say. so I read the actual ingredients, and there it was...Malt (Barley extract). I spit the chips out and threw them away. 

I was sick all that night and all the next day and night. 

Which brings me to today. I am still a little groggy feeling but much, much better. Almost a year gluten-free and I am still making rookie mistakes. I have to stop being too comfortable with what I "think" to be gluten-free. 

Just a reminder to all the still newly diagnosed like myself, always be vigilant!

Congrats!!--you went a whole year without making a doofus rookie mistake! I think that's admirable.

I know I can't say I went the first year without hitting myself. 

Might actually be a record around here or sumthin' :)

Sorry you got hit, though. ((huggles)) feel better soon

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#7 kareng

kareng

Yum!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,810 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:01 PM

Oops, yeah always read the label like you said. The last one I missed was bottled water. I found eventually that it had added ingredients, but thankfully none disagreed with me. Shew! I had seen bottled water with wheat added before.

D

If that is true, I think you need to tell us the brand! I can't imagine plain water could have wheat added. Why? It wouldn't be clear any longer! It wouldn't taste clear and fresh like bottled water is supposed to taste.

Please, everyone! Lets use a little common sense here!

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

Someone told me I was delusional.  I almost fell off my unicorn.

fantasy-unicorn-15.gif

#8 howlnmad

howlnmad

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:20 PM

I had seen bottled water with wheat added before.

D

Me too, and not being a celiac, the only bottled water I drink that has wheat in it

It's called beer.

#9 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:06 PM

Me too, and not being a celiac, the only bottled water I drink that has wheat in it
It's called beer.

Exactly what I was going to say.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#10 kareng

kareng

Yum!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,810 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:43 PM

It's called beer.

Oh! It was a joke.....maybe? But it wasn't clear that it was and so it may have led one poster to think there is wheat in water and be worried needlessly.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

Someone told me I was delusional.  I almost fell off my unicorn.

fantasy-unicorn-15.gif

#11 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

If that is true, I think you need to tell us the brand! I can't imagine plain water could have wheat added. Why? It wouldn't be clear any longer! It wouldn't taste clear and fresh like bottled water is supposed to taste.

Please, everyone! Lets use a little common sense here!

I am sorry, I don't remember the brand.  I bought it from a vending machine, read the label, and tried to give it away.  However, my friend wouldn't take it, so I set it down by the machine and left.  Most brands of water do not add it.  But really my only point is to read every label which should not hurt.  If anyone does know a brand name, let us know.

#12 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:36 PM

I am sorry, I don't remember the brand.  I bought it from a vending machine, read the label, and tried to give it away.  However, my friend wouldn't take it, so I set it down by the machine and left.  Most brands of water do not add it.  But really my only point is to read every label which should not hurt.  If anyone does know a brand name, let us know.

sorry, but I cannot believe that any brand of plain bottled water would add wheat  to it. Just does not make sense.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#13 BelleVie

BelleVie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:24 AM

I was just too intrigued by this and had to research it. I came across a blog on which the poster said that while on a road trip, she drank bottled water provided by her hotel. The poster has a wheat allergy and went into anaphylaxis. She apparently went online and read about the process used to add minerals back INTO the water, and one of the ingredients for that is something called "tocopherol," a wheat derivative. 

That's the first I've heard of something like this, but it honestly wouldn't surprised me. There are weird ingredients in all kinds of places they shouldn't be lurking! 

Anyway, here is a link to the blog if you'd like to check it out: http://clarerowley.w....com/tag/wheat/

#14 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:46 AM

And here I was going to start buying bottled water. I will look for "tocopherol" in water from now on in water. I have never had a reaction to bottled water tho. Yesterday I was reading this thread and then did a search and I should of saved it. Because I read somewhere that flavored water could have a wheat product in it. Pretty sure it said Lemon water. Like I said wish I'd of saved it. 

Back on topic tho , yea I assumed some corn chips at this one restaurant was Gluten free, but it wasn't I kept wondering what was making me react every time I went there and then I asked. They gave me their Gluten free menu and their chips were not on it. Pffttt!! Come on really???? Corn chips!! Corn chips have Gluten!! Anyhoo I know not all corn chips do. The ones I buy do not have it. I assumed these did not.  

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#15 flowerqueen

flowerqueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:18 AM

I was just too intrigued by this and had to research it. I came across a blog on which the poster said that while on a road trip, she drank bottled water provided by her hotel. The poster has a wheat allergy and went into anaphylaxis. She apparently went online and read about the process used to add minerals back INTO the water, and one of the ingredients for that is something called "tocopherol," a wheat derivative.

That's the first I've heard of something like this, but it honestly wouldn't surprised me. There are weird ingredients in all kinds of places they shouldn't be lurking!

Anyway, here is a link to the blog if you'd like to check it out: http://clarerowley.w....com/tag/wheat/

I don't give too much credence to other people's blogs, unless i know the person is well qualified in their field. For one thing she said, she 'went into anaphylaxis and had to pull over to pass out'! You don't 'pass out' with anaphylaxis, your organs shut down and need an adrenalin injection to stop you from dying! Also, she said tocopherol is a wheat derivitive, this too is not strictly true. You can get tocopherol (also known as vitamin E) from wheat, but you can also get it from other sources, for example, sunflower oil. I use products with tocopherol in them, I just check with the manufacturer to see if it's gluten free tocopherol (i.e. a non- wheat source vitamin E).
Under active thyroid; diabetic; hiatus hernia; acid reflux; dairy intolerant; arthritis; sciatica due to spine degeneration; diagnosed with coeliac disease November 2011; fibromyalgia; allergic to Thyme & MSG and alcohol. Allergic to TCP antiseptic, and plasters. Taking medication for severe muscle spasms in upper back.
Despite all, remaining positive!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: