Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Unable To Cry

32 posts in this topic

I am just thinking about my Mom.  I got at least 2 genes from Mom's side.  She is going down hill.  I think she has celiac, and did all I could to get her diagnosed, but It didn't work out.  Dad said they couldn't follow the diet anyway.  Dry eyes could be a similarity to my struggles, but I wouldn't say my eyes are dry yet.  They just don't abound when they should.

D

Do your eyes water when you cut an onion? Or when there is smoke from the BBQ or pollen in the air?

Ads by Google:

Do your eyes water when you cut an onion? Or when there is smoke from the BBQ or pollen in the air?

They do a little.  They mostly burn.

Nobody mentioned severe depression as a possibility.  I recently read if you are severely depressed you are sad, but do not cry.  However, I am functioning fairly normally even though I am passing through some tough times. 

Oh, that reminds me that Mom was treated for dry eyes for years.

Thanks, I will check it out.

D

Quoted from above link:  "Sjögren’s is a chronic autoimmune disease in which people’s white blood cells attack their moisture-producing glands. Today, as many as four million Americans are living with this disease"

Hmm on the one hand I might have some more symptoms.  Yet, my dentist comments on my saliva pools.  It looked like the only treatment is for symptoms.  Mine are not severe.  I will ask for testing if I get curious.  Meanwhile, my vital organs have already been checked.  I am continuing a good recovery.  I am feeling quite energetic.  I am increasing my nutrient levels which has been proved by testing.  I am doing what I need to for now, but I will use some eyebright drops if my eyes get dry.

Okay?

Gemini, I was thinking that jumping to a conclusion that sjogren's is a likely problem here may be a little hasty, especially considering that the original poster hasn't mentioned any complaints with dry eyes or dry mouth. By no means am I saying that sjogrens isn't serious or that using drops if you do have it isn't needed, just that there are many causes for not producing tears and doing one's research before going to a doctor can help.

But I still wish that science would get to the root of the problem. Western medicine is way too happy to treat symptoms without finding causes.

And I'd still say to start with the easy stuff that we know are common in those with celiac first like vitamin deficiencies and hormone imbalances that are linked to lack of tear production. But an additional note, eye doctors should also know more about tear production ... if you can find a good one.

I don't recall saying that Diana had Sjogren's but gave her the information she needed to decide what she should do.  If you don't have dry mouth, then it's highly unlikely that it's Sjogren's.  There is a known reason for the disease.....it's autoimmune and if you go long enough with undiagnosed Celiac, your autoimmune system never calms down and you start to develop other AI problems.  The root of all disease is inflammation and that's how the AI system runs out of control, along with certain genetic factors.

I don't know of any imbalances that cause reduced tear production.  Some medications cause dry eye but when you are being assessed for Sjogen's, they do not test for other issues as you mentioned. In all the research I have done for it, I never came across any issues that would cause it, other than autoimmune in nature. Sjogren's dry eye is much more severe than run of the mill dryness. You also will have dry mouth, which is just as severe.  I knew I had it before I was tested.  I just let the doctor do the blood work to humor her.  They like to have it on paper.   ^_^   With Sjogren's, you will also have dental problems...major dental problems.

I don't recall saying that Diana had Sjogren's but gave her the information she needed to decide what she should do.  If you don't have dry mouth, then it's highly unlikely that it's Sjogren's.  There is a known reason for the disease.....it's autoimmune and if you go long enough with undiagnosed Celiac, your autoimmune system never calms down and you start to develop other AI problems.  The root of all disease is inflammation and that's how the AI system runs out of control, along with certain genetic factors.

I don't know of any imbalances that cause reduced tear production.  Some medications cause dry eye but when you are being assessed for Sjogen's, they do not test for other issues as you mentioned. In all the research I have done for it, I never came across any issues that would cause it, other than autoimmune in nature. Sjogren's dry eye is much more severe than run of the mill dryness. You also will have dry mouth, which is just as severe.  I knew I had it before I was tested.  I just let the doctor do the blood work to humor her.  They like to have it on paper.   ^_^   With Sjogren's, you will also have dental problems...major dental problems.

Dental problems, check.

LMFAO I feel like crap dunno if its just terrible allergies or if this is what its like to get gluttened but i had to miss out on fun and because I don't wanna make myself worse *which is so freakin hard when it's so much more fun to play than take care of yourself* and your replies made my day so far! Btw I might be onna those rare women who doesn't wanna be fixed and doesn't think it's sweet when someone tries to... id rather crawl in a corner alone n either die or get better (which just so happens to be what im doing now lol) but a good laugh when I don't expect it is truly priceless...

On topic though, I don't cry like most folk let alone women folk n y'all make me very uncomfortable when ya start doin all that cuz I don't know what to do with you or how to help you and at these times it seems apparent that y'all have no idea either... I cry at movies sometimes, like my eyes get watery and my nose gets stuffy/runny but I've only cried a few good times the past few years and its usually more than a slightly delayed reaction... I think I've gotten so used to dealing with "life" that I know when things are happening and i feel like breaking down that i still need to keep pushing thru it. I can see how I should have cried lotsa times and maybe should even cry recollecting it but it is what it is and I've done what I could do. It's not that I'm numb and don't have emotions n feelings n whatnot all that Im just not a crier unless I'm fighting the reality of something and finally hit a breaking point but I *try*not to fight my feelings... Or reality lol

Btw If I hit myself in the thumb with a hammer i don't end up crying I just end up hurting the rest of my hand hitting something I shouldn't (or whatever the hammer flies into)... Cursing but no crying...